Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

A Question About Airline Flight Prices

Old 08-10-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Question About Airline Flight Prices

Myself and my family (4 people) are going to be flying roundtrip from San Diego to Tulsa, OK over the Christmas holiday. Out of curiosity I checked prices at various online sites and they averaged around the $ 330.00 per ticket range. Today I checked and they seem to be around $294.00 (with tax and fees). Last year I flew for about $230.00 (not during Christmas).

With my trip still 4 months away what should I do? Are the prices likely to go up or go down? Iíd like to save more money but donít want to risk paying more. Even a drop of $50 would save me $200.

What do you all think?
Old 08-10-05, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Myself and my family (4 people) are going to be flying roundtrip from San Diego to Tulsa, OK over the Christmas holiday. Out of curiosity I checked prices at various online sites and they averaged around the $ 330.00 per ticket range. Today I checked and they seem to be around $294.00 (with tax and fees). Last year I flew for about $230.00 (not during Christmas).

With my trip still 4 months away what should I do? Are the prices likely to go up or go down? Iíd like to save more money but donít want to risk paying more. Even a drop of $50 would save me $200.

What do you all think?
Airline prices are not wholly predictable, as they change based on dozens of factors.

The best way I've found is to check prices for the same flight at dates a week from now, two weeks from now, three, a month, etc. Basically, check the prices on the flights that are various times away from now. From this, you can build a sort of curve that gives you a very general idea of how this flights price changes over time.

It's not wholly accurate, but it'll tell you within a week or two range of when to buy the tickets, generally.
Old 08-10-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are the prices likely to go up or go down?
Who knows besides someone with a crystal ball. Airline prices change quite often. Though not by that much.
Old 08-10-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

9/10 times flying during big travel seasons like july 4, thanksgiving and x-mas is going to cost a lot more than during other days
Old 08-10-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Book as early as you can with whatever you feel the cheapest it is.
Old 08-10-05, 02:03 PM
Admin-Thanos

Holidays the prices usually rise and rise fast as you get closer to the day. For the price to drop is an unexpected gift. I would jump on it as soon as possible.
Old 08-10-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think anyone can give an absolute answer to you. Some things to consider are that fuel prices seem to be going up and airlines will have to start passing that cost along. On the other hand, at least two airlines (Delta and Northwest) are on the verge of filing bankruptcy so they may drop fares to generate some quick cash flow. There is no guarantee it will happen that way, but that is what United did.