Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you feel your co-workers act professionally?

Old 08-10-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you feel your co-workers act professionally?

I'm trying to understand my sister's working environment and just how majorly unprofessional other hair stylists she has had there thru the years are. She swears its this way no matter where you go, even if she went the route of "high maintenance" salons.

Calling in sick or claiming the baby is sick at least once a week from 3 different woman. Then another girl does not even bothering to call in in alot situations. This one will start fights or argues policy in front of customers. They just hired a new guy and he keeps playing rap music with fowl words even though he was told 4 times now that its not exceptable. Her senior manager told the manager who then told my sister to tell the new "gay guy" to stop acting so gay as it's scary away some customers. Well even though my sister did not agree with that statement she unfortunately repeated that to him. Now he claiming he going to sue, and she been told she will be fired. This is medium level salon in nice area I would say.

This has to be just a hair profession thing right? Or do even you office guys have to put up with nonsense like this?
You ask me managment, especially interviewing and training process needs to be alot better I would weed out these idiots before hiring and then if few sneak through keep righting them up and can their ass.
Old 08-10-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work with people who'd rather frequent forums all day than actually get their work done.

Oh - and what sort of fowl words do they use?
Old 08-10-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait...I mean other people here work with people like that!
Old 08-10-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutely! Only some moderate drinking (beers behind the moniter) and downloading jerky boys calls.

Last edited by Artman; 08-10-05 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i would imagine lots of highschool drama queens never go to college and become hair stylists?

sure this is a stereotype... but it is probably fairly accurate.
Old 08-10-05, 01:25 PM
Suspended

You're not allowed to tell someone to stop being so gay.
Old 08-10-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's retail -- it's expected.
Old 08-10-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You would surprised at how unprofessional some of the people I work with are.
Old 08-10-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How much gay is "so gay"? How much gay is acceptable? Can you really be too gay at a hair salon? Why in God's name would your sister ever agree to say that to him?

Maybe it's all the fumes from the hair care products.
Old 08-10-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon
A lot of "Cah" and a little "Bok Bok"
Old 08-10-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by emanon
HONK!

Old 08-10-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another retail person. So, yeah the lead manager of the store is probably the most unprofessional.
Old 08-10-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my coworkers are fairly professional.
Old 08-10-05, 03:03 PM

well, im probably the unprofessional one. i usually chat with 2 other guys at work that's close to my age range (23 and 25). we are the youngest ones in the whole 10 story building. it is full of people in their 40s/50s, retired generals and military people who are working as their retirement gigs. we joke around, talk about chicks, throw the f word around, and throw stuff at each other. immature, yeah i know, but fun!
Old 08-10-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uberjoe
How much gay is "so gay"? How much gay is acceptable? Can you really be too gay at a hair salon? Why in God's name would your sister ever agree to say that to him?

Maybe it's all the fumes from the hair care products.

I agree and since my first post was uber long already I decided not go into detail about how my sister went about it. Instead she mentioned his inappropriate behavior instead about the music that was offending customers, his hour long smoke breaks and then started to mention his touchy feely thing was upsetting some customers. That last bit got into his sexual orientation somewhat and that's were she mentioned that some people hand a problem with him coming " on too strong". He demanded to know more about that and knew that some of higher ups didnt like him. Her error basicly was being honest and telling him what senior manager said, about toning down the "gay" even though she didnt agree with it. She should kept her mouth shut on that but I dont think she should lose her job over this after 8 years there and only person that takes the job serious? And how in world, even in this sue happy age is he going to successful sue or this?
Old 08-10-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where I work, we always seem to have somebody there who acts unprofessional. It's like once we get rid of somebody horrible, there is this suck ass shaped person vacuum that must be filled and by some twisted law of nature, a new person moves into that position and acts in a similar way as the previous person we got rid of.

One in particular that works there now will ignore customers while she talks on the phone (literally ignoring them, not even bothering to look up at them or tell them she will be with them in a moment, and you can hear her talk and it's obvious she is on a personal phone call) and she swears in front of customers and talks to them in a rude way and comes and goes as she pleases (rather than following the schedule). I think she should have been written up several times over and maybe even fired by now (though nobody dealt with her bad behavior for all this time, so maybe if somebody had in the past she would have straightened up). The sad thing is the manager doesn't really seem to care, or if they do, they don't say anything about it until the problem as escalated so much that she's pissed off everybody else and turned customers away with her bad attitude.
Old 08-10-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, considering that my "co-workers" are a bunch of independent artists like me, I think we all behave quite professionally.

Today the artist in the studio across the hall lurked in her studio in the dark, and I knocked off early because it was too hot for me. The artist around the corner hasn't showed up for three weeks, and someone downstairs was swearing at his etching chemicals. Oh, and someone parked a refrigerator box in the hallway, with a note to housekeeping not to remove it, because they would need it Saturday.
Old 08-10-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Heh, considering that my "co-workers" are a bunch of independent artists like me, I think we all behave quite professionally.

Today the artist in the studio across the hall lurked in her studio in the dark, and I knocked off early because it was too hot for me. The artist around the corner hasn't showed up for three weeks, and someone downstairs was swearing at his etching chemicals. Oh, and someone parked a refrigerator box in the hallway, with a note to housekeeping not to remove it, because they would need it Saturday.
I want a job there.
Old 08-10-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I want a job there.
The pay sucks.

But you do get to have naked models in your room.
Old 08-10-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The box will be used for the employee that hasn't been seen in 3 weeks, right?
Old 08-10-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
The box will be used for the employee that hasn't been seen in 3 weeks, right?

I was about to ask if I could have it to make a bitchin fort.
Old 08-10-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It will probably be used to make some sort of silly "performance art" prop. I think I'll go paint it hot pink tonight.
Old 08-11-05, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The pay sucks.

But you do get to have naked models in your room.
Sounds good! Do you have to warn them in advance if you paint with no pants on, though? Frankly, I prefer the element of surprise.
Old 08-11-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Sounds good! Do you have to warn them in advance if you paint with no pants on, though? Frankly, I prefer the element of surprise.
I guess that depends on what look you want. Do you want "bored model", or "disgusted model" or "happy model"?
Old 08-11-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're professional at sitting on their hands all day while I do all the work