Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Insects in my Ramen noodles!

Old 08-10-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Insects in my Ramen noodles!

I opened up a pack of Ramen noodles the other day that had been in the back of the cupboard for a little while. I poured the noodles into the boiling water and as I am about to dump in the contents of the seasoning packet, I notice little white things floating in the water! I look closer.....BUGS! I actually saw some live bugs on the noodles that hadn't yet submerged. I told a coworker about this and she said it was a common thing. WTF? Are the bug larvae in there all the time or did they enter the plastic wrapping somehow? I inspected the wrap thoroughly but couldn't find any holes and there were no other bug sightings in the actual cabinet. Another package of noodles that was in front of the buggy bag had no bugs in it.
Old 08-10-05, 12:26 PM
Admin-Thanos

Look at the bright side. You didn't overpay for the bugs.
Old 08-10-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just extra protein.
Old 08-10-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 08-10-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bug gives it the flavor.
Old 08-10-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had those in my spagetti once. I found them the same way - floating in the water. Then I noticed white spots on the dry spagetti, which were larvae. I freaked out and shoved them all down the garbage disposal. I felt kind of bad afterwards, though, because I kind of wanted to look at them more. They were cool.
Old 08-10-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ben12
I had those in my spagetti once. I found them the same way - floating in the water. Then I noticed white spots on the dry spagetti, which were larvae. I freaked out and shoved them all down the garbage disposal. I felt kind of bad afterwards, though, because I kind of wanted to look at them more. They were cool.
You threw away spaghetti just because of a few bugs? There are starving children in Africa that would kill for that delicious meal. Have you no soul?
Old 08-10-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most dry foods have bugs in them. The eggs ususally hatch in your tummy when you eat it fast enough. Just eat your noodles sooner and you won't have to see the eggs and bugs. These types of bugs are actually good for you. They eat the bad stuff that goes into your body keeping you in good health.
Old 08-10-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I once consumed about 70% of a bowl of bran flakes before noticing that there were hundreds of little brown bugs - alive - in the cereal.
Old 08-10-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you sure you weren't eating with this guy when it happened?
Old 08-10-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nasty.
Old 08-10-05, 04:44 PM

Yeah, bugs in food suck. That hasn't happened to me since I was like 6 though. I always saw them before consuming any. This reminds me of the time a few years ago during the summer when I took a big gulp of my pepsi & thought "ugh, why is this so salty?" So I dumped out the can & it was full of ants. Gross & that taught me not to just drink a can of soda after it's been sitting my living room for a couple of hours.
Old 08-10-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Emma311
Yeah, bugs in food suck. That hasn't happened to me since I was like 6 though. I always saw them before consuming any. This reminds me of the time a few years ago during the summer when I took a big gulp of my pepsi & thought "ugh, why is this so salty?" So I dumped out the can & it was full of ants. Gross & that taught me not to just drink a can of soda after it's been sitting my living room for a couple of hours.
Ants are good for you. Formic Acid, keeps away the rheumatis, eh wot?
Old 08-10-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a dietician on TV talking about this, and the FDA's regulations on how many bug parts and bugs can be in food and still be considered OK (the worst food, by the way, is peanut butter, because they grind the bugs right up with the peanuts in the processing plant, so they don't have an opportunity to really rid the peanuts of bugs and bug parts).

The problem is increasing with whole grain foods because the processing for whole grains isn't as extensive as it is for other processed grains. The less the food is processed, the more chances you are going to get bugs in it.

And they are not going to kill you. As with peanut butter, I am going to eat peanut butter no matter what you tell me was ground up in it. Out of sight is out of mind, in my book.

On the other hand, if I saw whole bugs in my food, I'd be put off. I once saw a brown moth in my bowl of corn flakes when I was a kid, and I was put off from eating any kind of flake food for a while, because the brown wings of the moth blended in quite well with the brown flakes of the cereal, so there was an association there that took me a bit to get over.
Old 08-10-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No matter how tight the lid was, the sugar pot in the teacher's lounge in the Seychelles school I taught at was always full of ants. So the routine was, pour coffee, put sugar, put milk, remove dead floating ants with spoon, drink. Damn ants got into everything. Anything that wasn't in cans at my house (cookies, cereals, etc...) had to go in the fridge.