Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

During storms do you turn off/unplug electronics?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-10-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like I just ate some lightning that came into my computer room. But it's rare when I unplug my computer or television during storms. I've got surge protectors, but I don't really trust them. I just trust the power of... holy SHIT! I'm turning off my computer NOW!
Old 08-10-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope... Although I should no better lightning fried my neighbors TV last year...
Old 08-10-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
Nope... Although I should no better lightning fried my neighbors TV last year...
You should know better, but unfortunately you are no better than your neighbor. Sorry, had to do it.

I only unplug my laptop because it has a battery anyway, and my main computer is still fubar so I would cry if anything happened to it.
Old 08-10-05, 11:22 AM
Admin-Thanos

If I unplugged my electronics every time it T-Stormed, I'd never get anything done. It T-Storms every day in FL in the summer.
Old 08-10-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I lived in KY, yup, all the time. Power goes out on a whim there. I actually had a tuner fried during a storm. With surge protector. Here, nope. Don't unplug anything. Sometimes I'll power down my tower. When we were in KY this past week/weekend while my grandfather was dying, it was storming and we sure did pull the power cord from the laptop.
Old 08-10-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that was fun.

Always hearing the stories about people getting their TV's fried. Seems like low probability, but ya never know.
Old 08-10-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by VinVega
If I unplugged my electronics every time it T-Stormed, I'd never get anything done. It T-Storms every day in FL in the summer.
Yep. I have decent surge protectors on all the sensitive stuff.
Old 08-10-05, 11:55 AM
Admin-Thanos

My small TV in the bedroom fried on us one beautiful lightning storm day. Since then all TV's and major electronics are plugged into surge protectors. The other wonderful thing down here is that the power will just go out at random times. Tampa Electric is great at sucking.
Old 08-10-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a surge protector and battery backup on this PC. Too often the power zapped out for a second and I lost the work I was working on.
Old 08-10-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I'm too lazy.
Old 08-10-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No.

If God wants your electronics, he is going to get them
Old 08-10-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No - although I agree that the storms we've been having recently (and especially today!) are pretty damn_scary.
Old 08-10-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had lightning kill my TV and DVD player. Only took me about $10 in parts and a couple hours of tinkering to fix them both.

Easier for me to leave them in and fix them when they get hit.
Old 08-10-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
I always unplug my laptop after every use for some reason. The desktop computer I don't bother with.
Old 08-10-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the lightning and thunder is continuous, yes. But that's few and far between here. Usually it's pretty shocking to even hear one boom of thunder during a storm. I think we've only had to power down here two or three times at the most.

Those Georgia storms are pretty bad though. We'd have to shut everything down all the time during the summer. I wouldn't if I was home alone, though, because I would watch The Weather Channel to keep up on severe storm info. That helped me feel more safe for some reason.
Old 08-10-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Battery backup on home theater and computers. No storm is going to stop me if the power goes out. At least for the first 10 min.
Old 08-10-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do. I have a new computer and some expensive keyboards (musical) and would be mighty ticked at myself if I let them fry. Of course, I have them plugged into surge protectors, but they don't stop all surges, just like bullet resitant glass won't stop all bullets. When I was younger, we had a TV that burned out when lighting struck near by, so I learned early on to not take chances on that stuff.
Old 08-10-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should take my computer and TV outside during storms and PRAY they get hit by lightning. My 32" Sony is 15 years old and WON'T DIE. DIE DAMN IT SO I CAN GET A NEW HDTV!

And my computer is about 6 years old and I can't wait until it dies so I can get a new one as well.
Old 08-10-05, 05:34 PM

I had my fridge fried twice this year. First time there was a thunderstorm and the lights went out. When they came back, the relay was fried. Had it replaced and it worked again. Second time again during a thunderstorm the compressor on the fridge got fried. Got it fixed again but this time there is a surge protector inside the fridge AND another surge protector at the electric outlet.

Food got spoiled both times.
Old 08-10-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trelach24
I should take my computer and TV outside during storms and PRAY they get hit by lightning. My 32" Sony is 15 years old and WON'T DIE. DIE DAMN IT SO I CAN GET A NEW HDTV!

And my computer is about 6 years old and I can't wait until it dies so I can get a new one as well.
Why do you care? Do you get insurance money if they get struck?
Old 08-10-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In the hopes of blowing out one of the 3 CRT tubes in the 50" projection TV so that i have a more than good enough reason to get a similarly sized widescreen HDTV, no. The tear in the screen is an incentive but hey, if it ain't totally broke...
Old 08-10-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only problem with electricity and appliances was during the '92 Riots.

The fires were melting the wires on the power poles and causing these spectacular arcs between the seperating cables as they melted and broke. It was friggin wild. We were out in our front yards watching the burning buildings a couple blocks away from us when suddenly we heard these loud bassy PZZZZZZ!!! and flash of light. Then it happened again and again. Finally we realized what it was when it happend where we could see it. Well that particular arc took out my home stereo. It was working before that so I know it was that arc that took it out. It was the only thing I didn't have on a power strip. DOH!
Old 08-10-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't get much lightning around here so it's rarely an issue.
Old 08-10-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I am protected via my UPS.
Old 08-11-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Those Georgia storms are pretty bad though. We'd have to shut everything down all the time during the summer. I wouldn't if I was home alone, though, because I would watch The Weather Channel to keep up on severe storm info. That helped me feel more safe for some reason.
Crap, I need to get on this. When we have bad storms here, I just think it's amusing. Even when the lights go out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.