Reload this Page >

Hair styles for guys...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Hair styles for guys...

Old 08-05-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hair styles for guys...

Almost all of my life i've had either long hair or dreadlocks (yes, i am indeed a hippy) and i never liked having short hair because the short hairstyles for guys always looked like they involved a stupid part or some sort of gel or crap put into your hair.

Well now i'm considering cutting my hair because of starting a new job and it has been heavily implied that if i had shorter more normal hair some of the older staff would be far more accepting of a new peer.

So now i need help finding something decent and a relatively short style for a guy. And no, no mullets before anyone asks. Where could i look to see some styles? Is there a place online?
Old 08-05-05, 03:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.thehairstyler.com/mens_hairstyles.asp

Click on the Demo link for various hairstyles for men.
Old 08-05-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux

So now i need help finding something decent and a relatively short style for a guy. And no, no mullets before anyone asks. Where could i look to see some styles? Is there a place online?

:nopics:
Old 08-05-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 509 Likes on 362 Posts
Not sure but the one I despise most is that dumb ass - comb it all forward and flip 6 hairs in the front up with gel.
Old 08-05-05, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not sure but the one I despise most is that dumb ass - comb it all forward and flip 6 hairs in the front up with gel.
Amen.
Old 08-05-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I posted a pic about a year ago when my dreads were first coming together. Originally i had almost waist length wavy hair and just stopped brushing it. Living out in SLC with the dry air and washing it without brushing ended up giving me dreads.

Either way, i do my best to avoid the camera and have no pictures of myself that i would be willing to put up on the net

But we'll just say i now have brown hair (with a couple white ones here and there in it) to about the middle of my back. It tends to curl into shirley temple ringlets if i don't keep it tied back... for this reason it is normally tied back.
Old 08-05-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is a horrible style. What makes it even worse is when they then frost the tips. *shudder*
Old 08-05-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hair style? Just cut it short and then comb it forward. Shit I never really comb my hair and it looks just fine.
Old 08-05-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've got to gel everything. You call it dumb-assed, I call it a haircut. Women like it as well, but you will tend to look like every other 20-ish white dude in America.

Whatever you decide on, get a haircut hippy.
Old 08-05-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was wondering when the first "get a haircut hippy" comment would come... i was really expecting it to be from kvrdave. I probably deserve the comment though since my hair has been long since kindergarten - except for when i cut my dreadlocks out and had to restart growing it.

But what i'm hearing is all the short hairstyles require some sort of gel or sticky gunk? I absolutely hate using crap like that and was one of the reasons i kept my hair long.
Old 08-05-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But what i'm hearing is all the short hairstyles require some sort of gel or sticky gunk? I absolutely hate using crap like that and was one of the reasons i kept my hair long.
Why? I put a little bit of hair spray on mine so I don't get the afro effect and that's it. But that's the price to pay to not look like I'm in an 80's metal band.
Old 08-05-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used gel on the top of my hair whenever I had long hair and wore a ponytail, too. That was a few years ago so I'm quite used to it.
Old 08-05-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
Why? I put a little bit of hair spray on mine so I don't get the afro effect and that's it.
The real reason is i don't like the smell of hairspray and gel stuff just feels gross and sticky on your had and it seems like when people put it in their hair it makes it look slick and wet - like Ross from friends or something.

Also, i prefered to use as few chemicals as i can near my scalp.
Old 08-05-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I recommend the Caesar hair style.
Old 08-05-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Your gonna have to get beyond those hang-ups if you want to fit in with your new work environment.

I use a dab of gel and after it dries I run my hand through my hair to loosen up the wet/plastered on effect. And Bingo! My hair stays in place, doesn't stick out like a porcupine and doesn't look wet or greasy.

Last edited by covenant; 08-05-05 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 04:27 PM

gel stuff just feels gross and sticky on your had
You do realize gel dries right? It's not like you're pouring a jar of honey on your head, generally a dime sized amount will work fine.

Besides I'm sure you can find a short haircut that doesn't require gel.
Old 08-05-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thats how my hair is.

I use styling cement/glue too, only because the front doesn't stay up otherwise.
Old 08-05-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always just ask for the "men's regular". Comes out real nice
Old 08-05-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-05-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Trust The universe, respect your hair-Bob Marley

Don't cut it dude just let it growwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Old 08-05-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The real reason is i don't like the smell of hairspray and gel stuff just feels gross and sticky on your had and it seems like when people put it in their hair it makes it look slick and wet - like Ross from friends or something.

Also, i prefered to use as few chemicals as i can near my scalp.
Well you don't use a whole freaking bottle. Just one pump on the top of my head keeps it in place. It's not like you take a shower in it.
Old 08-05-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought this was about hair styles for men?
Old 08-05-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts
I have thick hair, so I do have to use a lot of gel to get it to hold. I don't care for hairspray and I have to comb out the helmet hair when the gel dries. I'm going to give mine another chop soon... plrobably short enough that I can't make a ponytail.
Old 08-05-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're cutting your hair since guys with long hair are 38% hotter than guys with hair cut above their collars. It's a mathematical fact.
Old 08-05-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99
I'm sorry to hear you're cutting your hair since guys with long hair are 38% hotter than guys with hair cut above their collars. It's a mathematical fact.
This post has a direct correlation to your location

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.