Other Talk "Otterville"

Tattoos

Old 07-27-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tattoos

I'm think of getting a tattoo. I wanted to ask people who have gotten some what kind of price were they. I'm not looking to get something huge covering my whole body or anything, just something on my arm or back, and if I like that one maybe get some more in the future. So what would you guys say is a normal average price?
Old 07-27-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My last tattoo was done in San Diego and is a crescent man-in-the-moon type dealio, which cost about $50, I think. It's just black ink, no color, and about the size of a silver dollar, maybe a bit bigger.

I have a tiny letter "M" on my wrist which I think cost only about $20.

My first one I ever had is the name "Ian" in letters about half an inch high, but that was about 15 years ago and I can't remember how much it cost...

These are about as cheap as they get. Cheap, but all three very, very important. I'm not into big beautiful colorful body art (which I do admire on other people) but rather just small symbols with deep personal meaning.

Think about it for a long time before you do it. That goes without saying, though, I guess.
Old 07-27-05, 06:09 AM

I paid about $80 for a medium sized brand.
Old 07-27-05, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've probably been overcharged on both of mine, because I never researched how much tattoos were supposed to cost.

The first one is the cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Sin" single on my arm, and is about 3"x2". It's just black ink, and it ran me $80 back in 1995.

The second one is the words "STRAIGHT EDGE" across my shoulder-blades. It's about 15"x2". Again, all blank ink, and that one cost me $300 back in 2002. This one was really special for me, and I went out of my way to find a straight edge artist to do the work.
Old 07-27-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, think about it long and hard, and be sure you get THE tattoo you want, not just A tattoo because you want one. Start with something simple, like a symbol or something that means something to you, and get it in a place you cover for work. After the initial experience and living with it for awhile, you can see if you want to go further. My tat is a black 3.25" Imperial Cog on my right shoulder, and one of the great memories associated with it is that my two best buds and I got it done simultaneously and made a day of it. Oh, it was $80, and that included followup visits to fill and darken.
Old 07-27-05, 07:47 AM
Cool New Member

That tattoo cost me 185 dollars. i think i was a little overcharged considering that its a pretty simple design, but im not complaing. i love my tattoo. tattoos are usually priced based on size, color and the amount of detail. i would recommend getting it somewhere on your body where you have a little meat. if you get it on the bone, IT WILL HURT. I got my tattoo on the upper center of my back, between the shoulder blades and when the needle went over bony areas, like my spine, it felt like i was being stabbed in the back, literally. Make sure you pick a design that you really want and think about it long and hard. I thought about mine for a year before i actually got it. remember that you have to live with this for the rest of your life.
Old 07-27-05, 08:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll never regret my Buffy/Angel tattoo!!!

I do, however, regret my "Winona Forever" tattoo.
Old 07-27-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the process of having a tattoo removed and it's cost me $250.00 a treatment. So far I've had four treatments and it looks like it will take one more to fully remove the ink. Keep that in mind when you decide size and placement.....
Old 07-27-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'll never regret my Buffy/Angel tattoo!!!

I do, however, regret my "Winona Forever" tattoo.
So, do what Depp did and change it to "Wino Forever".
Old 07-27-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Don't shop for a tattoo by price, shop by quality. Check out shops for cleanliness, do they use disposable ink pots and needles, do they have an autoclave? Ask for references, and look at other tattoos they have done.

You don't want to wind up with either a badly drawn tattoo, or hepatitis.

A tattoo from a reputable parlor, done by a talented artist, will cost extra. But it's worth it for something you will enjoy for the rest of your life.
Old 07-27-05, 09:11 AM

To the original poster: It really depends on the area you are in as well as how well-known or talented the artist is. For example, if there are tons of tattoo shops in your area, then they'll probably be pretty competitive in the price category, and if the artist is one with a miles-long waiting list, then he or she will probably charge top dollar. All that said, a fairly average price runs around a hundred bucks per hour, give or take, and most places have a minimum time purchase -- ie: 1 hour minimum.

Like other posters have said, be absolutely sure that you know what you want, and that you'll be happy with it for years to come... forever, and all that jazz. Also remember that you get what you pay for, especially with tattoos. Don't go for the cheapest guy you can find and hope for the best! Do your own research and find an artist that you really appreciate (their work) and that you can talk to easily.

I've got 14 hours of ink on my back, and I'm not finished yet -- have approximately 8-10 hours to go, which I'll be sitting for this fall. I waited years to go and get it done because I knew that what I wanted was going to be expensive, time consuming, and that it needed to be done by someone who was able to really draw, not just ink on an existing piece of black flash. (No offense to those who love that style, it just wasn't for me.) I'm happy with what I have and what it will look like when completed, and I'm glad I waited until I found an artist that met my expectations.

To Phoenix: How big is that tat? $185 does sound steep, but it may be a lot bigger than the photo implies, and if your lines are clean (seems so) and the color is really deep, then that's not exorbitant.
Old 07-27-05, 09:32 AM
Cool New Member

my tattoo is about as big as a CD. i thought 185 was a bit pricy too, but the tattoo artist was very good and i am happy with how it turned out. the lines are clean and the color is very good, even throughout the piece.

I agree that the OP should look around before deciding on a tattoo shop. I shopped around to a lot of shops and made my decision based on the quality of the artists and the cleanliness of the shop itself. The parlor where I got my tattoo was not only very clean and neat, the owner was a RN and made sure that everyone who got a tattoo filled out paperwork noting any allergies, ailments, etc.
Old 07-27-05, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenixignition
i am happy with how it turned out.
That's the kicker right there. It looks very nice; I'm sure you are proud of it!
Old 07-27-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This ran me $80 ($100 w/ tip) back in 1997. It's on my right shoulder and is about 2" by 4"...

I also have a 2.5" diameter reverse negative of the following on the underside of my left forearm. I just got in back in February for $60 ($80 w/ tip)...

I agree with other posters that bargain shopping is not the way to go with tattoos. It's permanent! Worry about quality and clean facilities before you worry about price.
Old 07-27-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really think I want to bargain hunt either. I just wanted to kinda pick some brains and see what sort of ball park figure I would be looking at
Old 07-27-05, 02:48 PM

Sisters of Mercy/Mercifull Release?
Old 07-27-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a friend of mine's tattoo:

Last edited by dick_grayson; 07-27-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 04:38 PM

you might also want to consider colors...I have a medium size back piece between my shoulder blades,one of four and the only one with color,that is done in blue and red...the red dye itches like hell all the time,I don't regret getting the tat but now i wish i had done it in different colors
Old 07-27-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's mine. Little bastard bites, so be careful.

Old 07-28-05, 11:18 AM

$150 per hour is average where I live. Most places have $60 to $80 minimums no matter how small the piece is. I suggest you go to www.bmezine.com before you choose a tattoo parlor. Or just ask me, because I know alot of tattoo artists all throughout the country, so I can probably tell if you a shop is reputable or not.
Old 07-28-05, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Neuman
I know alot of tattoo artists all throughout the country
Now there's a combination of words I never thought I'd hear!
Old 07-28-05, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Neuman
$150 per hour is average where I live. Most places have $60 to $80 minimums no matter how small the piece is. I suggest you go to www.bmezine.com before you choose a tattoo parlor. Or just ask me, because I know alot of tattoo artists all throughout the country, so I can probably tell if you a shop is reputable or not.

Any opinions on Marks of Distinction in Wilmington, NC?

Or reccommend a quality place or artist in the Raleigh, NC area?

Thank you in advance
Old 07-31-05, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
Sisters of Mercy/Mercifull Release?
Yes...

I've always loved the design and the band. I also live in a house with the wifey and 3 daughters. The whole "Sisters" thing just made too much sense!
Old 07-31-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gilbertr76
This ran me $80 ($100 w/ tip) back in 1997. It's on my right shoulder and is about 2" by 4"...

Of course, as gilbert76 aptly points out here... having a tatoo of your ex-girlfriend on your body forever can be quite a pain...
Old 07-31-05, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Of course, as gilbert76 aptly points out here... having a tatoo of your ex-girlfriend on your body forever can be quite a pain...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.