Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

has anyone tried Lunesta for insomnia, or other sleep med?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-25-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. I have a doc appointment soon, and since Lunesta is not a narcotic or controlled substance, my physician has samples available in his office and I think I'm going to ask for some.

Sleeping pills suck in general. I hate the way some of them can make you feel. But not sleeping feels pretty bad too after a while.
Old 07-25-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been watching these ads with a lot of interest. My hubby can't sleep at night unless he takes melatonin. It works pretty well for him but I am always keeping an eye out for something new in case it stops working.
Old 07-25-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use it, but not every day (maybe 1 or 2 times a week). IMO it's better than Ambien, which gave me some realllly fucked up dreams and you can't be on it for long.
Old 07-25-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was checking out those commercials as well. I like Ambien, it's like floating on a cloud. Didn't get any weird dreams because I dream pretty crazily anyways.

I'm going to look into this Lunesta.
Old 07-25-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I don't like about these are they work too well. Lunesta has me sleeping for 8 hours (which is good when I really need it). Unfortunately, I don't want to take it every day (biggest reason - they are expensive). The problem with not taking it everyday is that if I figure out that I'm going to have a problem sleeping, it's usually not until I only have a 4-6 hour window to sleep in. I would love to have something that would knock me out for 4-6 hours. That way I'd at least get a little sleep when I knew it wasn't happening naturally. The way I do it now is to drag through the day on barely any sleep and take a pill that night.
Old 07-25-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have pharmaceutical reps come by here pretty often and from what I have gathered from several of them, Lunesta generally does not work as well as Ambien. A lower percentage of people report a good night's sleep with Lunesta than they did with Ambien.

I have heard from a few doctors through the years that taking melatonin can actually trick your body into not creating any of it's own so people can, in essence, form a physical reliance on the over the counter melatonin.
Old 07-25-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by freudguy
We have pharmaceutical reps come by here pretty often and from what I have gathered from several of them, Lunesta generally does not work as well as Ambien. A lower percentage of people report a good night's sleep with Lunesta than they did with Ambien.
You can't take Ambien for extended periods of time, though.

OTOH, my mattress doesn't levitate like a magical flying carpet when I take Lunesta.
Old 07-25-05, 12:27 PM

I take Benadryl, generic. It works great. Knocks me out within an hour. No morning after effects like other sleep aids. Alot cheaper than a prescription. Although it makes some people wired.
Old 07-25-05, 12:32 PM
Cool New Member

My pdoc prescribes Ambien to me. It works really well. I tried Lunesta and i can say that its second rate to Ambien. It doesn't seem to put you into REM. You sleep the 6-8 hours, but you still feel like you didn't get a healthy nights sleep. Thats the biggest complaint i get from other people who tried Lunesta. Also, its expensive. The only bad thing about taking Ambien or Lunesta is that if you take for an extended period of time and you stop taking it suddenly, you get something called rebound insomnia. Its harder to fall asleep without the medication. This medications are good for once or twice a week, but not everyday. I've had that experience with it. Good luck. Matt
Old 07-25-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind

OTOH, my mattress doesn't levitate like a magical flying carpet when I take Lunesta.
You know! I was having stress issues and having trouble sleeping so my doctor asked if I wanted Xanax or something to help me sleep (like Ambien).

Man, I wish I had gotten the Ambien because not only do you sleep very well the falling asleep phase is like falling crawling in a barrel of cotton.

OTOH, perhaps I shouldn't know so much about popping pills!
Old 07-25-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just live with insomnia and embrace the madness. I can't bring myself to take meds for it.
Old 07-25-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind

The company has just not gone after that indication (for long term use). You'd be surprised the number of people that take this medication pretty much daily (or nightly).

The Lunesta company went after the long term indication because that's the only thing they can really claim is better than Ambien (especially for the additional cost). If Ambien starts to lose a lot of market share, they might go for a long term indication (and I'm sure they'll get it).

It's probably not worth the extra cost for Lunesta (for most people, everyone is a little different).

Last edited by griz; 07-25-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mersaulte
...and since Lunesta is not a narcotic or controlled substance, my physician has samples available in his office and I think I'm going to ask for some.
This is not true. Lunesta is a C IV (schedule 4 controlled substance), just like Ambien.
Old 07-25-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had heard from a couple of people that the Lunesta as well as Ambien was indeed expensive... So I'm glad I got some more opinions before asking the doc for something. Also interesting to hear that the Lunesta doesn't seem to work as well as Ambien. I'll probably still go ahead and ask for the Lunesta samples at the doc's, and then if it doesn't seem to help I'll at least a) have avoided paying for the prescription and b) can then ask for a prescription for Ambien after having already tried the Lunesta for free. So thanks for the input, that's what I needed.

Incidentally, I did buy some melatonin a few months ago. It seemed to work fairly well, but I did notice you have to be really careful about what time of night you take it. But it didn't work long for me.. seems like after a few nights it was as if I hadn't taken anything. I'm sure the body gets used to it quickly.

I totally understand the thing about how most nights you don't know for sure if you're going to need some sleeping medicine until you only have four or five hours left for sleep... that sucks!

I can embrace the madness for a while... but I'm starting to feel like the people in the Ambien commercials who like, fall asleep on the boat while they're fishing and stuff.. heh.
Old 07-25-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there are plenty of chinese herb pills (not the fake ones from 7-11 or something) that can help with insomnia and have no side-effects whatsoever. prescription drugs should be a last resort.
Old 07-25-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by griz
This is not true. Lunesta is a C IV (schedule 4 controlled substance), just like Ambien.
Hm. I do know for sure that the commercial says it's "non-narcotic" and that my doc's nurse told me personally they have samples, saying it's "not a narcotic and not addictive"...

Nonaddictive certainly does not mean that you can't quickly develop a tolerance to it or a psychological dependence on it, though..

Well, I'm confused. I'll look it up later.
Old 07-25-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
there are plenty of chinese herb pills (not the fake ones from 7-11 or something) that can help with insomnia and have no side-effects whatsoever. prescription drugs should be a last resort.
Powdered Goat Penis. Didn't work. Tastes bad, too.

I agree 100% with the last part.
Old 07-25-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave

My acupuncturist gave me some herb piu (that's what it's called) for help with sleeping. I'd take 8 bb-sized pills about half an hour before I would like to go to sleep and all of a sudden, I'd get naturally tired (not drugged tired) and fall asleep. the best part is when I'd wake up after taking them, there'd be no groggy feeling or anything like that. I've had too many doctors who cared more about the pharmaceutical biz than the patients. "Have depression? Try this! If it doesn't work, come back and we'll try something else." The walls of most doctors on my insurance plan (which is fair overall) are littered with ads for every prescription drug I've ever seen ads for. The filing room is just full of free samples. Reps visit several times a day. It didn't used to be like this, did it?
Old 07-25-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

My family doctor retired. You couldn't get a drug out of him if your arm was torn off. Great family friend. Now the new guy I go to is ready to throw drugs out like it is Halloween. Then tells me what he is on as well. Kind of spooky.

But he has yet to stick a finger up my butt, so I don't want to find another.
Old 07-25-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ambien 10 mg every night seems to work for most people.
Old 07-25-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weird. I read the full prescribing info on Lunesta and it is C-IV. Yet I called my doc's nurse and she reiterated that they do for sure have samples for Lunesta in the office when I come in for my appointment. My neighbor who goes to the same doc said that she was given samples of Lunesta when she went a couple weeks ago, and showed me the sample pack/blister pack thingy. Curious; I thought docs couldn't keep samples of any controlled substance.

Well, that makes me not want to try it so much. That's the last thing I need.
Old 07-25-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Lunestra is a Schedule IV drug, meaning it requires a narcotic prescription. Not sure how your doc would be able to hand out free samples of this.
Old 07-25-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked again at my neighbor's Lunesta blister-pack. It clearly says C-IV. Wtf? I have always heard they can't give out samples of ANY controlled substance AT ALL, period...

It's just odd; the commercials lead you to believe, "Oh, this isn't dope like Ambien, not at all, and yadda yadda yadda" when it's the exact same schedule, and therefore exactly the same potential problem with long-term use. I guess it just goes back to what was posted above, about how it is being marketed. Interesting; I learned a bit from this little thread.

I'm totally not against drugs. (Um... totally. ) But I sincerely do not want to get dependent on sleep meds. That could get expensive and just be bad in general. They lead you to believe that Lunesta is the answer to all your sleepy prayers, a perfect medicine with no downside. Ah well, they are after trying to sell pills.

Incidentally, Kava Kava and Valerian never seemed to work on me. I just need an anesthesiologist to come over every night and knock me out for a few hours and I'd be fine.
Old 07-26-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think there is necessarily a (federal) law prohibiting samples of scheduled drugs (may vary by state), but the sampling of scheduled drugs doesn't seem to occur very much, probably due to the paperwork end of it (probably more so by the drug company than the doctor's office).
Old 07-26-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave

dick_grayson once wrote there are plenty of chinese herb pills that can help with insomnia and prescription drugs should be a last resort, I agree with the second part.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.