Reload this Page >

1st Job Interview Tomrrow...suggestions

Other Talk "Otterville"

1st Job Interview Tomrrow...suggestions

Old 07-23-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Job Interview - Updated - Employed!

Hello. After being laid-off from my last place of employment I have applied at various places and Circuit City called me today for an interview. This will be my first 'real' interview because my last 2 jobs were offered to me. I'm a nervous person but I dont really think I show it.
Any suggestions on questions asked, dress, etc?
Comments from anyone who works at CC would be appreciated.

UPDATE! :
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. The interview went really well, and I was offered and accepted the job at the end of the interview.
I will be working in DVDS (YAAAY!!) CDS, and Video Games.
I go in to fill out paperwork tomorrow.
Thanks Guys!

Last edited by xfilekr; 07-24-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts
Some basic stuff;

-don't talk bad about your last job or boss
-talk about "end results". Saying I'm a hard worker or a people person is stupid. Give specific examples and how this helped your former employer or had a successful project or whatever ever
-be ready for the typical questions (why should we hire you? Tell use about a weakness you have. What have you done to prepare for this interview/job)
-spend at least three or four hours doing research on the company and be ready to ask a good intelligent question. For example; "I have read where CC is adding a lot of custom home installation services. How has this worked in your store and what new services have you seen added". (You should be a little more specific and of course I just made that up).
-If this is a typical in store job (cashier/sales/stocking) as opposed to management, I would probably at least give examples of how trustworthy and reliable you are.
-If they ask a tough question you don't have an answer for, don't just say "I have no idea". At least start by saying something like "That is a great question. To be honest, I had not really considered that, can you expand a little more on that?" And hopefully that will buy you enough time to come up with a decent answer.
-If you run out of work type answers, don't be scared to give non work related examples like if you voluteer, belong to a church group, school club, etc.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-23-05 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 08:03 PM
Suspended

I work at CC.

here is a few quick pointers i can think of:

-say you're never late and never call out sick
-talk about how you like to meet new people and enjoy helping people (CC wnats employees to greet every customer, so if you let the manager know that u like to do it, more points)
-talk about how u have a great amount of product and technology knowledge
-not afraid to stay until after your shceduled time to make sure a task is completed
-crack a best buy joke
Old 07-23-05, 08:35 PM
Suspended

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
I interviewed there after HS (never got the job btw) - be prepared to answer what your weaknesses are.(which of course you try to turn into a positive) I stumbled on that one.
Old 07-23-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the responses guy, I really appreciate it!
For those who work/have worked at CC did you have multiple interviews?
How long was it until you heard back from them?
THanks!
Old 07-23-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tip number 1: Don't wear the uniform from your previous job.
Tip number 2: Don't bring a family member, even if he does own the same shirt.

Old 07-23-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Tip number 1: Don't wear the uniform from your previous job.
Tip number 2: Don't bring a family member, even if he does own the same shirt.

So, BB is now cloning their employees??

That explains so much.
Old 07-23-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those dudes are freakin' me out man.......
Old 07-24-05, 02:38 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
universal "what is one of your weaknesses" answer: I'm a workaholic
Old 07-24-05, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear pants.
Old 07-24-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Since Sdallnct covered most of it, I don't have much to add.

If she's cute, tell her that you would assume any available position she has to offer.
Old 07-24-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Thanks for the responses guy, I really appreciate it!
For those who work/have worked at CC did you have multiple interviews?
How long was it until you heard back from them?
THanks!
In general, it is ok to ask about the interview process. You don't want to come across as needy or expecting an answer that second. But in most cases it is ok to ask to say something like: "I've really enjoyed talking with you and hope to do so again. When do you hope to make a decision?". Or even something simple "Can you tell me how the hiring process goes?" These are reasonable and they should not hurt your and depending on your attitude when asking them might help. These questions should lead them to tell you if there are multiple interviews (doubtful unless it is a management job).
Old 07-24-05, 10:14 PM

One mistake I think I made at my last job interview was to ask a lot of questions about the company/job instead of talking more about myself. I thought that the interview went really well until I thought back on it and realized that they didn't have enough information about me.
Old 07-24-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. The interview went really well, and I was offered and accepted the job at the end of the interview. I will be working in DVDS (YAAAY!!, CDS, and Video Games) I go in to fill out paperwork tomorrow. Thanks Guys!
Old 07-24-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. The interview went really well, and I was offered and accepted the job at the end of the interview. I will be working in DVDS (YAAAY!!, CDS, and Video Games) I go in to fill out paperwork tomorrow. Thanks Guys!

YAAY A round of Circuit City Employee Discounts on xfilekr of course
Old 07-24-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know if it was appropriate to ask what the discounts were at the interview, does anyone know?
(I'll find out tomorrow)
Old 07-24-05, 10:35 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Just a guess, but something like cost + 10%?
Old 07-24-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't know if it was appropriate to ask what the discounts were at the interview, does anyone know?
(I'll find out tomorrow)
sure it is Just say

"I hope the employee discount is good, that way i will buy stuff instead of just stealing it"
Old 07-24-05, 11:19 PM
Suspended

you pay whatever circuit city paid for the product, no markup. it varies on everything.

so you won't get cds/dvds/video games any cheaper.

tvs yes
car audio equipment will be the biggest discount
computers is meh
Old 07-25-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Congrats! Everyone likes working.

Right?
Old 07-25-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lucasorion
One mistake I think I made at my last job interview was to ask a lot of questions about the company/job instead of talking more about myself. I thought that the interview went really well until I thought back on it and realized that they didn't have enough information about me.
Yea, you got to be careful about asking to much about the company/job as most people feel you should have done your "homework" and already know that stuff if you are interviewing.

Did you get feedback on the interview? IMHO, feedback is very, very important. And if you did not get a job and got know feedback, you might call back and ask how you could have done better.

At my company I recently put in for another position. I knew I had little chance of getting it (I am qualified in every respect), and to be honest I was not 100% that I wanted it. But I have not interviewed for anything in so long I did it to get some feedback. I figured the feedback would help prepare me for the "next time" and help me create a plan for my carrier.
Old 07-25-05, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yea, you got to be careful about asking to much about the company/job as most people feel you should have done your "homework" and already know that stuff if you are interviewing.

Did you get feedback on the interview? IMHO, feedback is very, very important. And if you did not get a job and got know feedback, you might call back and ask how you could have done better.
My questions were more technical, since I was applying for a computer support position at a company, and I was interested in how they did things there (backups, operating systems, etc.) compared to where I've worked for the last five years. It wasn't about not doing research so much as not taking the opportunity to let them know more about me. I didn't call back afterwards. My family tells me I should call back after interviews to let them know that I'm interested, but its one of those things I have a hard time getting myself to do - I guess I figure that going in for the interview is enough of a sign that I'm interested.