Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Car problem-Power locks

Other Talk "Otterville"

Car problem-Power locks

Old 07-17-05, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car problem-Power locks

Just thought one of you might know what is wrong with my truck.
I just bought a 2000 F150 (yesterday) and when I brought it home and was showing the wife/family all the features etc. I locked/unlocked the doors fine using the keyfob thingie. All of a sudden only the drivers lock locks/unlocks, even the door mounted controls inside don't open the passenger door. It just pops up a little.
Is there some kind of child proof feature I'm missing or something?
Thanks in advance, I couldn't find info for this anywhere.
Old 07-17-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
At least on mine, one press unlocks driver's door, two unlocks all doors. This is a feature women wanted in markey survey as they feared someone jumping in other side when they unlocked with keyfob.

The two presses have to be within a certain time window (like double clicking a mouse). You might have hit it accidentally, and then not been able to duplicate it.

Not at all sure that all brands are the same.
Old 07-17-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I didn't read the stuff about the inside control not unlocking it. The solenoid may be going bad or something may need lube. You have to remove the inner door panel to get at anything. It is attached with "Christmas trees", little plastic barbs that you will probably wreck removing panel. Discard them and slide new Xmas trees into the slides in the door panel.
Old 07-17-05, 09:39 AM

Mine is the same. One press ,the drivers door unlocks , press again the passenger door is supposed to unlock. All it does is raise the door lock knob a tiny bit and it lowers back down again.
Old 07-17-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it moves at all, good chance the solenoid is ok, and something is binding. You could probably lube yourself or dealer could if there is a warranty.
Old 07-17-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Honda Accord is the same. One press to unlock driver side door. A 2nd press within a few seconds will unlock all other doors.
Old 07-17-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 99 Taurus had the same problem after a few years. The remote wouldn't open the passenger-side door, no matter how many times you pressed the button. The other three doors worked fine.

The grease used in the linkage can gum up and not move as easily. My solution was unscrewing the knob off the threaded rod and spraying WD40 down into the hole alongside the rod.