New tires - yea or nay?

Old 06-27-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do what I did, buy a new car instead.
Old 06-27-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have waited until after summer. Probably get more traction with the worn tires on the dry surfaces.
Old 06-27-05, 01:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I probably would have waited too, but the large screw in one of them made me feel like they were living on borrowed time. I didn't want to pay for patching the tire knowing I would just be replacing them soon.

Plus, they were riding really rough and were kind of squirrelly on the completely crappy California roads. The new ones feel really smooth.
Old 06-27-05, 04:59 PM

What Kinda of car did you put those on X?

I have these on order http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX. Hopefully I will get them by Thursday. I am putting these on a 03 Mustang GT. The orginal Goodyear Gatorbacks were garbage 16000 miles.
Old 06-27-05, 10:05 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
Corvette.

My original Goodyears were pretty junky as well.
Old 06-27-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Nole

I have these on order http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX. Hopefully I will get them by Thursday. I am putting these on a 03 Mustang GT. The orginal Goodyear Gatorbacks were garbage 16000 miles.
ASX is a decent tire as all seasons go, but they don't really handle that well. i switched to toyo t1-s, and those things grip like a mofo.
Old 06-27-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tires are what win races.

Just got new tires on my wife's car before we went on vacation and had to drive over 500 miles one way. Mainly because one tire was from an old set because she got a sidewall cut and the tire couldn't be fixed. Went to Pep Boys, and since I take the trash to the dump because it costs only about $5 every 4-5 weeks, I always tell them to retain the tires instead of paying the disposal fee. Plus, 3 of the tires were good enough to use as a spare in a pinch, and I was planning on getting a full size rim from the junk yard to mount two of them on (both of our cars use the same tire size).
Anyway, dropped the wife off to pick it up. I had already left, and she calls me and says guess what? They didn't save the tires. I said, OK, tell them to go find them. It's closing time and they send two guys out to the "cage" to find them with flashlights. The best they could do was find 4 that were the same size with "decent" tread. It took them about an hour but they gave us 4 tires back all the while complaining and making my wife feel like crap.
Next day we look at them in the light. 2 of the tires are no good. She called the store manager on a Monday and he says, he knew he was going to be hearing from her. She lets him know the problems and he says the best I can do is give you a brand new set of 55,000 mile tires, for free.
Old 06-27-05, 11:53 PM

I love my Firestone Firehawks, it's been a good tire for me!!!
Old 06-28-05, 12:31 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Docc
I love my Firestone Firehawks, it's been a good tire for me!!!
I very much agree. They have amazing gripping ability, especially on wet roads.

Do you have the discontinued SZ50s or the new Wide Ovals?
Old 10-06-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey hey. I am thinking i need to get some new tires on my 2002 Camry. Any idea how much that should cost me? I've never had to buy new tires before so any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think I'll be getting a new car for another 1 1/2 - 2 years and I don't think these are going to last until then.
Old 10-06-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X
I probably would have waited too, but the large screw in one of them made me feel like they were living on borrowed time. I didn't want to pay for patching the tire knowing I would just be replacing them soon.

Plus, they were riding really rough and were kind of squirrelly on the completely crappy California roads. The new ones feel really smooth.
One of my tires kept getting low. I had it checked out and it had a big screw in it....was told the tire was ready to blow Checked the other tires and they had screws in them too. These are all new tires, so they were able to patch them. I've noticed that same tire is low again....so I'm going to have all tires re-checked.
Old 10-06-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Hey hey. I am thinking i need to get some new tires on my 2002 Camry. Any idea how much that should cost me? I've never had to buy new tires before so any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think I'll be getting a new car for another 1 1/2 - 2 years and I don't think these are going to last until then.

I found http://www.tirerack.com/ to be very useful for selecting tires. You can pay anywhere from dirt cheap ~$25/tire on up, it all depends on what you want and need. Usually if they are not performance tires you can get something between $60-$80/tire that will last for 40K-60K miles.
Old 10-06-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil
I found http://www.tirerack.com/ to be very useful for selecting tires. You can pay anywhere from dirt cheap ~$25/tire on up, it all depends on what you want and need. Usually if they are not performance tires you can get something between $60-$80/tire that will last for 40K-60K miles.
Ahhhh! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-06-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
I would have to say yes based on yesterday's local news. A car of 3/4(can't remember how many) high school seniors had a tire blow on them on the expressway yesterday. They lost control, crossed the center line and hit an oncoming vehicle. All of them died. Bald tires = bad news.
Old 10-06-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just spent like $400 on new tires for my car
Old 10-06-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had no idea about that penny test for the tread. I'm going to try it at lunch and if Abe Lincoln says its time for new tires then IT'S TIME.
Old 10-06-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if you can't see the metal wires in the rubber, then they are still good
Old 10-06-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just came back from checking the tires out with a penny at lunch and the tread comes up the top of lincoln's hair (just covering "in god we trust"). So I guess I'll be shelling out $400 soon for some tires.
Old 10-06-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was talking to a girl the other day who has gotten <b> new tires 5 times in the past 4 years... as part of regular service.</B> I asked if she meant her tires had been rotated or something. Nope. New tires. I told her she needs to find a new mechanic... instantly.

I left out a lot of words that I really wanted to say.
Old 10-06-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Come to think of it... if she has receipts, I may need to pay this shop a serious visit.
Old 10-06-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I was talking to a girl the other day who has gotten <b> new tires 5 times in the past 4 years... as part of regular service.</B> I asked if she meant her tires had been rotated or something. Nope. New tires. I told her she needs to find a new mechanic... instantly.

I left out a lot of words that I really wanted to say.
well, it depends on how many miles she drove. if she drove 60k in a year, then that's not bad.
Old 10-06-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
They're bald on the outside thirds. And one has a big screw stuck in it. But the air pressure is holding.
Want more happy news? Sounds like you need an alignment too.
Old 10-06-05, 07:57 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Want more happy news? Sounds like you need an alignment too.
I had my mechanic look at them and he said they looked pretty evenly worn on the outside of both sides. They were worn less in the center. He said that's typical of fronts what do a lot of hill driving and maybe a bit due to inflation being a little off. The tire shop said pretty much the same.

When I had the tires changed at the tire shop I did get an alignment. It really wasn't off much. Not enough to cause any unusual wear.
Old 10-06-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, when I read outside thirds, I thought they were only worn on the outside.

my bad
Old 10-06-05, 08:06 PM
X
Administrator

They were just worn more on both outsides of both tires than in the centers. But they were very worn overall.

Looked like an alignment problem to me too. That's why I asked my mechanic and had the alignment done anyway. But I guess doing a lot of uphill driving with sharp turns wears out the outsides of tires more than the center of them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.