Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Carolina Beach/Wilmington, NC

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-24-05, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have booked a condo for the week at Carolina Beach--right on the ocean. They had heard that this area was less congested than Myrtle Beach/Virginia Beach & Ocean City, MD.

I'm curious if anyone lives near there or has been there and can offer suggestions for things to do in the area, restaurants, etc.

I'm going to fly in and meet them for a few days while they are there. I figure I can handle family vacation with them for a few free days on the beach.
Old 06-24-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go to Front Street Brewery. Has some of the best microbeers I've ever had!

Wrightsville beach is my favorite beach in the world.

Much better than Myrtle Beach, less crowded and less touristy.

You'll love it.

www.frontstreetbrewery.com
Old 06-25-05, 09:20 AM

used to live and lifeguard at wrightsville and c. beach as we used to call it.

Britts Donuts (Carolina Beach) - used to be open late at night too.

Paradise Cafe (C Beach-dont know if it is still there)

Mama Mias (C. Beach decent Italian if you are too tired to leave the island)

For nighttime its best to head in to Wilmington and/or Wrightsville Beach.
Downtown Wilmington is lately the place to be for barhopping at night. When I was younger you didnt want to be downtown after the sun went down but is pefectly fine now. And the waterfront is nice. USS Battleship, and Cotten Exchange (shopping) and restaraunts (Elijahs, The Pilot House)

Wrightsville Beach - get a "surfer dog" at the Trolley Stop. Just do it. Its at the opposite end of the beach (Not the Shell Island end) the other way toward the Coast Guard Station. (Near the god awful Wings store). The Oceanic has good seafood and nice place to have a beer and walk out on the pier at night.

At night Red Dogs used to be a popular bar at Wrightsville Beach but it can get crowded and rowdy sometimes. The Neptune is a decent seafood restaraunt with a calm little bar in it. For dress up dining try the Bridge Tender across the bridge on the Wilmington side. Early breakfast go to Middle of The Isle on the right side after coming over the bridge. Gets crowded there too but all of Wrightsville Beach and C Beach will be.

Further down from C Beach (keep going south) there is Fort Fisher (has an ok aquarium) and Kure Beach which has a little nicer water most times of the year.

Bring the quarters. Wrightsville has parking metered the whole damn island. I think they are charging a quarter for 15 minutes of air now days.

Have fun.

Last edited by dilligaf; 06-25-05 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 11:10 AM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Does this area have a 'boardwalk' area?

Any good shopping malls/outlets nearby in case we have a rainy day?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no outlet stores as far as i know...i used to live in wilmington about 3 yrs ago.

wrightsville beach is far better than carolina beach though...more of an upscale feel and not as many bonehead-types.

be sure to check out a lil hole in the wall type of place on wrightsville called "Middle of the Island" - they have the BEST food (homestyle); i was addicted to their pecan waffles and their fresh fruit bowl, used to go there just about every saturday morning. be sure to check it out at least once for either breakfast or lunch.
Old 06-26-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Wilmington is where the USS North Carolina battleship is. that's a cool tour. And on a similar note the drive to Charleston SC, while a bit long for just a day trip from Wilmington, would be worth it to see Fort Sumter and other civil war forts, the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier and the other ships kept with it.
Old 06-26-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's some in Myrtle Beach, and I think one of the bigger ones is in North Myrtle, so the drive wouldn't be too long
Old 06-26-05, 06:26 PM

okay this is the exact town that I live in, so if you have any specific questions you can ask me or email me. carolina beach is OK...wrightsville beach is a little better if you like more (hotter)people and less rednecks wrightsville in only like 15 minutes from CB. So that is no big deal. tons of places to eat in this town, depends on what kind of food you want. Quite a few night clubs around if you are into that sort of thing. yeah.
Old 06-26-05, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bloomiesgirl
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Does this area have a 'boardwalk' area?

Thanks!

there is a boardwalk at CB and a mall in town as well.