Reload this Page >

No shopping for Oprah

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

No shopping for Oprah

Old 06-24-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No shopping for Oprah

It wasn't quite a 'Pretty Woman' snub, but executives at the legendary Hermès label are still scrambling to apologize to millionaire OPRAH WINFREY after she was reportedly turned away from their Paris store on June 14. And now Oprah's pals are speaking out!

TOM CRUISE told PAT O'BRIEN Thursday night that he was "just shocked" by the incident.

"I know that those kinds of people are not the majority," he said. "For that happen to Oprah, we all love Oprah. Oprah is such a great woman. I'm sorry that happened. I'll call her tomorrow."

The high-end designer boutique publicly apologized this week for denying the TV queen, her friend GAYLE KING and others entry to the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore store when they arrived 15 minutes after its regular closing time at 6:30 p.m.

On that particular night, "a private public relations event was being prepared inside," the statement said. But Oprah's friend Gayle tells "The Insider" that there's more to the story.

"I was there, I saw it," Gayle says. "It was really, really bad. People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store. Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."

A power player worth at least $225 million, Oprah is known for her deep pockets and generosity with gifts.

"This is someone who has bought 12 Birkin bags, none of them for herself," Gayle says. "All of the Birkin bags she has bought in the past have been gifts for friends. She had a 13th on order, which has now been cancelled."

In its apology, the luxury leather and designer goods merchant said, "Hermès regrets not having been able to welcome Madame Oprah Winfrey and the people accompanying her to give them all the attention and service that Hermès is committed to giving each of its clients in the world."

Gayle promises that Oprah will talk personally about the incident when her daytime talk show begins shooting in the fall.

"No one will tell this story better than Oprah," she says. "I'm sorry she's not taping now!"

--
I'd like to see Oprah come to my little ol' Target store and try to get in after we close. Too funny.
Old 06-24-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imagine that. Someone trying to treat everyone the same, not letting anyone in the store after closing, rich or poor. How DARE they not give special treatment to Her Deeppocketedness.

Hey, Oprah...
Old 06-24-05, 04:43 AM

I don't really see why this is newsworthy.
Old 06-24-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just proves what the almighty dollar can do to people.

in this case, the almight thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Old 06-24-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."
you gotta be fucking kidding me.
Old 06-24-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NeonGlow
I don't really see why this is newsworthy.
Supposedly, somebody, possibly Oprah, hinted that there may have been some racism involved as well which is probably why it's newsworthy.
Old 06-24-05, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
Supposedly, somebody, possibly Oprah, hinted that there may have been some racism involved as well which is probably why it's newsworthy.
I was hearing the same thing also. According to this Article, it was a private PR event being set up.

But of course everybody wants to make it look like it is a racial issue as to why she wasn't allowed in the store.
Old 06-24-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think this is one of THE biggest bullshit moments. I think Oprah, with her friends egging her on, are making big deal over nothing.

I mean I can kinda see her point but I don't think it's that bigga deal. I know she had some serious $$$$ items on order with them but damn, the joint was closed. Lotsa folks get shut out at closing time even when they're ready to spend money. I do think they made a mistake by letting her in to complain. That just made things worse when she was asked to leave a second time.
Old 06-24-05, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tofu

Well from what I hear Oprah is supposed to do a show on her "Crash"(the movie) moment when her new season starts.

Oooo-ooh bro-ther.... Screw you and your PARASITE ENTOURAGE oprah.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-24-05 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder though, is it a practice of these high end stores to cater to the rich? Have they ever kept stores open or let celebrities in after closing?
Old 06-24-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reason #238 to hate that bitch.
Old 06-24-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by iggystar
I wonder though, is it a practice of these high end stores to cater to the rich? Have they ever kept stores open or let celebrities in after closing?

Probably, but perhaps on that particular day they couldn't do it. They claimed to be prepping for some promotional gig so I guess it depends on who you choose to believe.
Old 06-24-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

and that Gayle chick should get a man and let go of Oprah's Bra strap.
Old 06-24-05, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Reason #238 to hate that bitch.
no, no, she's THE "Almighty Rich Bitch"
Old 06-24-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by iggystar

but it's Hermes.. It's not like JC Penney and Oprah comes in and set a record for the most stuff bought in a day.. Everything in Hermes is expensive and rich people by their stuff all the time..People just as wealthy and more wealthy than Oprah
Old 06-24-05, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
People just as wealthy and more wealthy than Oprah
well don't tell her that, that would piss her off even more.
Old 06-24-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

While it was right for Hermès to not let her in, it was an incredibly stupid idea. We're talking about a small boutique, they could've certainly made an exception --- not only for her, but for a lot of people who shop there.

It was a stupid stupid mistake by Hermès, as they've made an incredibly bad business decision that is going to cost them a lot of bad PR.

As for Oprah...

Study these pictures and learn the difference.
Old 06-24-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Meh, it happened in Paris. The French aren't racist, they're equal opportunity obnoxious bastards.

(well, half of them, maybe)
Old 06-24-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"I know that those kinds of people are not the majority," he said. "For that happen to Oprah, we all love Oprah. Oprah is such a great woman. I'm sorry that happened. I'll call her tomorrow."

"I was there, I saw it," Gayle says. "It was really, really bad. People were in the store and they were shopping. Oprah was at the door and she was not allowed into the store. Oprah describes it herself as one of the most humiliating moments of her life."
Old 06-24-05, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
While it was right for Hermès to not let her in, it was an incredibly stupid idea. We're talking about a small boutique, they could've certainly made an exception --- not only for her, but for a lot of people who shop there.

It was a stupid stupid mistake by Hermès, as they've made an incredibly bad business decision that is going to cost them a lot of bad PR.

As for Oprah...

Study these pictures and learn the difference.
uh, if you shit on a big snowy mountain, it'll eventually get buried?
Old 06-24-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Reason #1,000,238 to hate that bitch.
Fixed.
Old 06-24-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do I want to know what a Birkin Bag is (or how much it costs?)
Old 06-24-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
i wouldn;t call Hermes small... They don't mass produce items like Levi's, but they are far from small... They are probably one of the leaders in high fashion.. I would be willing to bet EVERY high level female celebrity has at least 1 Hermes item...

This probably helps their sales... For anyone who goes to Paris to shop, I bet the first place they go is to the Hermes store.

Last edited by j123vt_99; 06-24-05 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 11:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by JasonF
Do I want to know what a Birkin Bag is (or how much it costs?)

It sounds like they go anywhere from $5000-$15000.
Old 06-24-05, 12:05 PM

today's Washington Post blurb noted that Birkin bags start at $6000

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.