Reload this Page >

Car question (supercharger)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-20-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shop has created a supercharger kit for my car. I finally saw some pictures of it and I'm not sure I like how they are doing it.

First, my car's engine computer is supposedly encrypted, so they can't get at the fuel map. So what they did was machine a plate and put two extra fuel injectors right after the throttle plate. Their own computer controls those two injectors.

So the car's computer is controlling the regular injectors assuming there is no supercharger. The shop's computer is controlling two auxillary injectors to inject extra fuel into the intake manifold to get the fuel ratio back up to where it needs to be.

Is there a problem with injecting fuel into the intake manifold?

The yellow things are their injectors.
Old 06-20-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost looks like a new Mustang.

With all the control over the cars computer I'm thinking this is probably a Dodge.

Car type? First things first....
Old 06-20-05, 09:41 AM

Looks like an LS1 engine-no? GTO or camaro?

Last edited by Pato1; 06-20-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-20-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveO
Almost looks like a new Mustang.

With all the control over the cars computer I'm thinking this is probably a Dodge.

Car type? First things first....
Yep, looks like a Magnum to me.
Old 06-20-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Yep, looks like a Magnum to me.

Yep. I have a 300C but the kits are essentially the same.

407hp at the wheels.
422 ftlbs torque.
Old 06-20-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thought behind injecting fuel into the intake manifold should work.

There is not a basic design theory flaw or anything (this is how carburators work). I would assumes the cars original equipment would then read the O2 sensor output and adjust the fuel accordingly to compensate.

I am a little surprised to see that as the solution.
Old 06-20-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
My roommate installed a Roots blower into his Miata, and it has a 5th injector at the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

Why go for a centrifugal supercharger? They're way more inefficient!!
Old 06-20-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the roots were the worst. I heard they heat the air way more than the other types. Good for low end torque though.

I thought the screw-type (whipple?) ones were the best with centrifugal ones somewhere in between.

I think they went with a centrifugal because of size constraints.

In any case, this is the only option I have at the moment. I've heard rumors of a twin turbo in development but nothing new in months about that.
Old 06-20-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Dodge's are notorious for having computer problems when it comes to modding them.

I have a Roots Eaton on my Marauder and am pulling 448rwhp and 452rwt...and the low end is impressive.

There is heat soak problems with the Roots but only if you're running it really hard in high heat for extended periods of time.

The centrifugals are nice but with a heavy car....not as impressive in the 0-60 range or 1/4 without tranny work.

I'm running 0-60mph in less then 4.5 seconds in a 4500 pound car.

As far as your kit goes....let me say this:

Have you checked out the 300C forums? Is this where you got the information? There was a gent in the Marauder forums who has a Procharger Kit in his Marauder, even put the kit together...although he has lied to the Marauder community from Day 1...so his colors are very clear. He also was bragging about being able to come up with a 300C supercharger kit at one point.

If I were you I would NOT be a guinea pig with a kit like this. Let some others take the first, second and even third chances and work off of what they have experienced.

Test drive one if you can and see how the reliability holds up. Just my .02.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I've been getting my info from 300cforums.com.

The S/C kit comes from GS motorsports out in CA. They've done a couple installs and reviews from people that had it done are trickling in on the board now. (The kit was completed only a couple weeks ago). They've been doing kits for the hemi trucks for a while now.

There's a guy on the 300c forums with a maurader S/C kit named bigslim. Is this the guy you were talking about?

2004 Silver Mercury Marauder,
391.5 RWHP 383.2 RWTQ
"Trilogy" Supercharger, 410 gears, SuperTunerChip from Alternative Performance, K&N http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484421
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigslim2

Here's a picture of a completed install for a customer:
Old 06-20-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
What is the horsepower going to be on the SRT 8? It is a supercharger as well?
Old 06-20-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Yikes, look at the hack job they did on the cover!
Old 06-20-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The SRT-8 is "only" 425hp at the crank. It's a bored and stroked 5.7L HEMI block. 6.1L when they are done. They do some extra stuff like new cams and bigger ports as well. It comes with a new rear end and 20" wheels too. I think they lower it 1" or so. No supercharger though.

MDS (4cylinder mode) is not available on it. Hello 10mpg!
Old 06-20-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asabase
I thought the roots were the worst. I heard they heat the air way more than the other types. Good for low end torque though.

I thought the screw-type (whipple?) ones were the best with centrifugal ones somewhere in between.

I think they went with a centrifugal because of size constraints.

In any case, this is the only option I have at the moment. I've heard rumors of a twin turbo in development but nothing new in months about that.
Low to mid is where they do the most HP gains. Intercooling is a must over ~8 psi. My roommate is running 15 psi intercooled. Centrifugal ones are the most inefficient units out there, but Eaton has done a lot of research working on the most current supercharger editions.
Old 06-20-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
is that the last of the V8 Interceptors?
Old 06-20-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm running 13.5psi of boost and its wonderful! Mines liquid cooled though too.

BigSlim is a great guy, met him a couple times. He lives about 1/2 hour away from the shop in Michigan that does my tuning/performance work. He also has the Trilogy Supercharger...same one I'm running...Eaton Roots style. As good as "some" of the centrifugal kits are for the Marauder the Eaton is better due to the weight. Mine weighs 4550+ with driver and 1/2 tank of gas.

Although the cover is hacked up a bit it looks like a pretty good install. I love the clean look. I'd personally wait a few more weeks to see how the original people getting this kit installed are doing and how they're holding up. Just my thoughts.

Again...good luck!

BTW: BigSlim is NOT the guy I was talking about. The guy I was talking about is named "maraudernkc". Con man if I've ever seen one. Slim is a very good guy.

Last edited by FiveO; 06-20-05 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have a 8-10psi boost pulley that is supposed to get you 500rwhp. I'm not going to even consider it. I'm sure the rear end will explode with that much power.

One other thing they do is put the air filter in the space between the grill and radiators. There's tons of space there, I'm just not sure how easy it is to get to.
Old 06-21-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
can you put in larger injectors instead of the two extra injectors?

why not put in a turbo? way more efficient, and will give you way more power. with the turbo, i've well over doubled the normally aspirated HP on my car. and that's just with a single turbo (since i have a measly 4-banger). you can put a bi-turbo setup on your car and you'd get so much HP you wouldn't know what to do with it.

i'd be careful to make sure that the system works well first, and not be the guinea pig for this. i've known people who have been screwed because of this.

but as with all mods, can this car handle that much power? are the engine, tranny, and drivetrain gonna hold up? you should research the weak points on the car before putting on the SC.

and also, don't expect the dealer to warranty the engine/tranny if something happens.

finally, might suggest you go for a wideband o2 gauge and/or sensor so you can get a true A/F reading
Old 06-21-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
can you put in larger injectors instead of the two extra injectors?
Because the ECU is encrypted and they can't control them.

why not put in a turbo?
Because no such thing exists yet for my car. Only rumors that are months old that someone is going to make one. I doubt it because there isn't much room for one unless they stick them way down the exhaust path like they do for the GTO where it is just about at the exhaust tip.
Old 06-21-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asabase
Because the ECU is encrypted and they can't control them.

damn that royally blows. right now, i'm running 440cc injectors (stock is 270) with the stock program, and the ECU can compensate for it. can't you replace the ECU with a stand-alone program though? maybe more effort than it's worth though.
Old 06-21-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
why not put in a turbo? way more efficient, and will give you way more power. with the turbo, i've well over doubled the normally aspirated HP on my car.
Turbos are no good for daily driving. Turbo lag sucks as well as the non-linear throttle response suckitude. Especially turboed V8s.
Old 06-21-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by weargle
Turbos are no good for daily driving. Turbo lag sucks as well as the non-linear throttle response suckitude. Especially turboed V8s.
well, you already have a big engine, so you don't really need to worry too much about turbo lag. i mean, there's enough power down low even before the turbo kicks in.

if you're looking for something with smooth power, then the supercharger is a better option. but if you're looking for the most power, then the turbo would be the better route. i drive my car everyday, and don't really have a problem with it.