Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

A/C Working Ok?

Other Talk "Otterville"

A/C Working Ok?

Old 06-14-05, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Working Ok?

A quick question for all of the HVAC engineers out there? I swear our central A/C in our apartment is not working as well as it did last year. It is only cooling our apartment to about 80 degrees, it still feels humid and has been running constantly (ie, not turning itself off, until late at night).

The maintenance men in our complex claim that the pressure in the compressor is "awesome" and that the temperature of the air coming out of the vents is 58 degrees. ("it's working fine, leave us alone"). I know last year that we were able to cool the place down with no problem (68-72 degrees). Was I just spoiled last year? Or does the compressor need to be replaced? (I think the complex was built in the mid to late 80s, and doubt the unit has been replaced since then).

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

~Jon
Old 06-14-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
68? Are you insane?

78 should be pleasing enough. I can't get any pressure to my upstairs.
Old 06-14-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Room temperature is 72. Anything hotter than that is too hot for me, especially to sleep in. With central air you should be able to get it down a lot colder than, at least I know you can in my apartment. One time I flipped it all the way down and then forgot about it and left. When I came back later it was about 50.
Old 06-14-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you're having menopause hot flashes... it's natural
Old 06-14-05, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger
you're having menopause hot flashes... it's natural
That would explain a lot of things! But unfortunately, that is most likely, not the case.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-14-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freon leak, dirty, bad compressor... could be any one of these things. Running constantly is not a good sign. Have you tried shutting it off completely for about an hour?
Old 06-14-05, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Freon leak, dirty, bad compressor... could be any one of these things. Running constantly is not a good sign. Have you tried shutting it off completely for about an hour?
Freon leak is what I initially thought...I did try shutting it off (for a few hours) and it made no difference. Also, when the maintenance men came in they complained that the reason it was so warm in the apartment was because I had turned it off! (I love circular reasoning!)

Thanks for the helpful hints.

~Jon