Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite podcast?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What is your favorite podcast?

Old 07-07-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that i could tell... then again, i'm as dense as they come. i'm still on their "Under The Influence" special. Hopefully their separate podcasts will shed some light on A.B.O.V.E's demise.

Last edited by RaMMaR; 07-07-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-11-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just catching up on my podcasts, and I noticed that there are a few from Anderson Cooper last week not showing up in iTunes (July 4, 5, 6). Does anyone know if there were shows last week, or is iTunes just missing them?
Old 07-11-07, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
I am just catching up on my podcasts, and I noticed that there are a few from Anderson Cooper last week not showing up in iTunes (July 4, 5, 6). Does anyone know if there were shows last week, or is iTunes just missing them?

The person in charge of that postcast must have taken a few days off. After 2 days of no new episodes I check the website and the last one they had on itunes was the same one playing on the site.
Old 07-12-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I haven't listened to any Podcasts lately, my two favorites are:

- Anything with Leo Laporte (I still miss his shows from the old ZDNet/TechTV days)
- Achievement Junkies (Xbox 360 podcast)
Old 08-02-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Patrick Norton is going to leave dl tv for another job. Speculation on the digg forums was that he's going to join Jim Louderbach over at revision 3. He's already done a few shows called systm for revision 3. I wonder what kind of things are going on at ziff davis and what effect this will have on Cranky Geeks and the 1up podcasts. I'm more addicted to those podcasts than I am watching any show on TV now.
Old 08-02-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

EGM has a fantastic podcast every Monday, they are really fun to listen too, good voices for podcast, good personality's and professional quality podcast
Old 01-21-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey, Penn Jillette fans. I was looking around iTunes and saw that he's got a new video podcast: "Penn Says"

http://crackle.com/c/Penn_Says

It's good to have him back, even if it's only for 3 minutes at a time.
Old 01-22-08, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone still listening to the TVGuide Podcast? I gave up after Dan Manu left, since the podcasts after that were just horrendous. Given the amount of time that has passed, I am wondering if it is worth checking out again.
Old 03-10-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else feel that TWiT is turning into what Leo Laporte has vowed would not happen, a podcast about podcasting? I quit listening to the last two episodes after 10-15 minutes, and yesterday's episode was okay until the end when the Audible ad turned the show into a whole big podcasting discussion. Why do I want to listen to this? Oh, I don't.
Old 03-10-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Totally Rad Show is now my favorite podcast.

I actually look forward to it like I would one of my favorite TV shows. The opening movie parodies are awesome, even when I don't recognize them.

I also enjoy Smodcast, but there hasn't been a new one in nearly 2 months. One thought is they're too busy shooting the movie, the other thought is there's a rumor Kevin and Scott had a dust-up on set and haven't spoken. I certainly hope the latter isn't true.

And movieking, I know the question was asked in January, but: the TVGuide podcast has nearly returned to form now that Matt Mitovich is the moderator. Although, Matt Roush does seem to take over whenever he's in the fourth chair.
Old 03-10-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not really. I didn't notice them talking about podcasting all that much.
Old 03-10-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew

And movieking, I know the question was asked in January, but: the TVGuide podcast has nearly returned to form now that Matt Mitovich is the moderator. Although, Matt Roush does seem to take over whenever he's in the fourth chair.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll resubscribe and try it again.

And as for TWIT, I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago. I dropped Cranky Geeks too. Maybe it is the lack of good tech stories, but they seem to drag on more than normal. And any TWIT with Jerry Pournelle is an automatic skip for me.
Old 03-10-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And as for TWIT, I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago. I dropped Cranky Geeks too. Maybe it is the lack of good tech stories, but they seem to drag on more than normal. And any TWIT with Jerry Pournelle is an automatic skip for me.
Yeah I dropped both TWIT and Cranky Geeks.

These days I tend to just listen to Keith and the Girl, misc video game podcasts, coverville, and recordings of Bubba the Love Sponge's radio shows.
Old 03-11-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Anyone else feel that TWiT is turning into what Leo Laporte has vowed would not happen, a podcast about podcasting? I quit listening to the last two episodes after 10-15 minutes, and yesterday's episode was okay until the end when the Audible ad turned the show into a whole big podcasting discussion. Why do I want to listen to this? Oh, I don't.
I felt like it turned into that more than a year and a half ago, which is when I stopped listening. Leo became way too self congratulatory about "new media" and how what they were doing was the future and blah blah blah. That may in fact be the case, but like you that isn't what I wanted to listen to. Still, I'm grateful to the show for exposing me to podcasts way back when.
Old 03-11-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I felt like it turned into that more than a year and a half ago, which is when I stopped listening. Leo became way too self congratulatory about "new media" and how what they were doing was the future and blah blah blah. That may in fact be the case, but like you that isn't what I wanted to listen to. Still, I'm grateful to the show for exposing me to podcasts way back when.
I guess I've been giving the show the benefit of the doubt for quite a while, but it's obvious what's happened when they have someone like Molly Wood on who actually tries to talk about the news and then gives up halfway through so Laporte and Calacanis can have another circle-jerk about how great their new media empires are and how podcasting is changing the world.

It's even more amazing listening to a disciplined and tight tech news podcast like Buzz Out Loud that's been going for 2.5 years and is still great. Corporate overlords may keep the man down, but at least they keep him on topic.
Old 03-11-08, 04:47 PM

democracy now w/ amy goodman

real news is so hard to find... saint amy keeps me informed about some the shit going down in the government. you gotta watch these pricks....
Old 03-15-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone recommend any podcasts about the latest news about Apple iPods and over Apples devices, but not so much about their computers?
Old 03-15-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jdslater1
Can anyone recommend any podcasts about the latest news about Apple iPods and over Apples devices, but not so much about their computers?
I was going to suggest iLounge's podcast, but their last one seems to have been in 2005. Guess that wouldn't help much, huh?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...eek-in-review/
Old 03-15-08, 11:14 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're a degenerate gambler like myself, then this is hands down the funniest shit available in podcast form:

http://www.pokerroad.com/_/pokerroad_radio/3-14-08/

or search iTunes.

You don't even need to be a fan of poker to enjoy these poker pros discussing life on the tournament circuit. Go to their archives and start with the first show to truly understand it. And if you have a lot of time on your hands search "The Circuit" on iTunes that's where they got their start. The Circuit eventually turned into PokerWire Radio.

The guys at Pokerroad provide a lot of insight that television never seems to be able to convey.
Old 03-16-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Each monday I download the following podcasts that I listen to the following week:

a. Clark Howard Show - this is a consumer advocate AM radio show though the podcasts have the commercials cut out, so each hour episode is actually about 33 minutes, though I listen to six to eight per week.

b. Sound Opinions, a music podcast by the pop/rock reviewers from both the Chicago Sun Times / Chicago Tribune. Kind of like "Siskel & Ebert" for music. These are about 60 to 65 minutes each.

c. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, a very good history show, episode lengths vary but are about 40 minutes long. He puts out a new one every two months or so, I see that he just put out a new one about the Apache's. This podcast is consistently in the Top 10 at Podcast Alley, along with Dan Carlin's "Common Sense" (below).

d. Dan Carlin also has the Common Sense with Dan Carlin podcast which I also listen to, it's a political show though - this one comes out every couple of weeks.

e. All Songs Considered, another music podcast from NPR, this one is by Bob Boilen (sp?) who used to do "All Things Considered". He also has concerts for download. This is basically how I learn about new artists. About 35 minutes long.

f. Sick and Wrong Podcast, where two guys talk about the most sick and wrong news stories from the previous week. This is a very good podcast, each episode is about 65 minutes long.

g.NPR's Car Talk, each episode is about 55 minutes long. This is a show that's been around a long time where two guys talk about car repair.

h. NPR: Movies, movie reviews from NPR. 10 to 30 minutes long.

i. This American Life, another NPR show where people talk about their experiences on different topics. I know, kind of a vague description, but you just have to listen to it to understand it. For a long time this was the #1 podcast at itunes. Each episode is about 60 minutes long.

I've listened to "Keith and the Girl" and "Turnip Soup", though both sucked. I've listened to an episode of The Totally Rad Show (based on Chew's comment above), it's got potential - I'll listen to another couple episodes and see if I get hooked or not.

If you were wondering, I listen to podcasts almost exclusively in my car and I also walk for about five hours per week during which I'm listening to podcasts.
Old 03-17-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
I've listened to an episode of The Totally Rad Show (based on Chew's comment above), it's got potential - I'll listen to another couple episodes and see if I get hooked or not.
I see that you only listen to podcasts, but I think most of the interest and thrill of this one comes visually. By only hearing the audio: you miss out on what the producer puts on the screen, the looks on their faces during reviews, the background (either by showing a trailer or game), and especially during the out-of-studio segments in which they try out a new toy.

I think it would be a whole different experience only hearing the audio.
Old 03-17-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the Totally Rad Show but Alex is the reason it's successful. Dan is annoying. He can barely make a complete sentence about his thoughts and goes off on rants about directors no one has heard of. Plus they review some lame movies sometimes. Movies that I'm sure the core audience of TRS has no interest in. Atonement anyone?

TWIT is a joke. They should just call it the tech law podcast since that's what it is. Sleep inducing.

I like the whole Revision 3 brand but they do have a lot of filler. I'm not sure how many shows Martin Sargent needs before his backers realize he's not funny. I can't even finish a complete show of whatever podcast he has this week.

SYSTM had potential but has never lived up to it and is a complete waste of Patrick Norton. What does he do exactly? The average SYSTM episode is 6 min long and talks about how to make a potato gun or something equally as lame.

Same goes with TechZilla. Take all the cheesy newb stories The Screen Savers did minus the tech and advice and you have a 10 min episode of TechZilla. Yes Jessica Corbin is easy on the eyes but I wouldn't trust her to set up my email. I haven't watched an episode in a while though.
Old 04-07-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you haven't resubscribed by now: don't bother.

The site page has announced they will quit the TVGuide podcast and this week's will be the last one. I haven't read all of the posts there, so I don't really know the true reason yet.

Sooooo, I need a good TV discussion podcast suggestion as a replacement: something that covers a good portion of television in an objective manner without focusing on anything too much (meaning: keep the reality show discussion to a minimum). Any ideas?
Old 04-07-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting, I never did resubscribe. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a lot of subscribers after Dan Manu left. If you ever do find out why, please post to let us know.
Old 04-07-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
anybody know when SModcast is coming back? I know KS is working on Z&MMAP but come on, its been too long.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.