Reload this Page >

Beware the Sirius Screw Job!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-08-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is so stupid. I had Siruis radio for a year and decided to give it up for a few months catch up on some audio books, lecture series, etc. My year was up May 31st, so I called a month early. They told me that on May 31st, I would be automatically renewed, so I needed to call on the 30th to stop the deal.

I did, and that was that. I just looked on my credit card statement and they charge me $75. So I call them. It is a cancellation fee for not going for a full year. So I explain the situation. The lady on the phone said her supervisor said it was a cancellation fee, and there is nothing they can do. I ask to talk to the supervisor. Tell the whole story over, and she says she will take my information and send it to the "Retention Department" who will call me in a day or two.

Naturally, because I did cancel before the year was up (by one day, because they said that was the way to do it), I can't dispute the charge because they are technically correct.

But if they don't reverse this, I will absolutely be getting rid of the service rather than getting back on in a few months, and switching to XM.

STOOOOOOPID for Cocoa Puffs.
Old 06-08-05, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they won't refund it, just have your credit card company handle it.
Old 06-08-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 40 Posts
I had a similar problem with Sirius when I got rid of one of my receivers. They said they were charging me the "you didn't have this for a year!" fee because they thought the receiver I got was one of those deals where you get the receiver super cheap, but have to sign up for a year in return. It took a number of phone calls, but it eventually got straighted out.

If you paid full price for your receiver, there's no reason for them to charge you a cancellation fee.
Old 06-08-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Naturally, because I did cancel before the year was up (by one day, because they said that was the way to do it), I can't dispute the charge because they are technically correct.
I would dispute it, and I would do in writing, no more talking. A few minutes thought will give you a letter you can send to both Sirius and your credit card company. Kill two birds with one stone, let them sort it -- show them each that the other has a copy.

Seeing this protested to a credit card company might worry Sirius a little. A cc to the State Attorney General's office wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 06-08-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This screw job doesn't sound that sirius.
Old 06-08-05, 12:54 PM
Banned

Sounds like Sirius customer service is handled by AOL.
Old 06-08-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
If you don't get a refund, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I've done that twice in my life and both times, the companies turned around. One was Education Testing Services, which is such a bureaucracy that you wouldn't think anything could be done--but after the BBB complaint they let me reschedule my test (I was so pissed about the whole GRE deal--I even contacted class action lawyers, but no one seemed interested in the plight of future grad students who have to deal with this monopoly.)
Old 06-08-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts
That's odd. I've had a ton of places cancel my service as soon as it up, but I've called before the date that was my committment.
Old 06-08-05, 01:52 PM

I see that sirius CS hasn't improved all that much. I spent the better part of 3 months trying to get my billing straightened up. They had me signed up for 4 receiver subs when I really only had 3. When I finally got through to a retention dept supervisor, they finally corrected my bill (so I thought) and removed the 4th phantom receiver and reversed the charges. About 1 billing cycle later, I noticed a $75 cancellation fee charged to my card for deactivating the 4th receiver. This time I called the retention dept directly and got a credit to my card for the $75. Speak directly to the retention dept as they seem to have the know how/authority to give credit on the spot. The first line of CSRs always seem to have to get approval to do anything. They also have a tendancy to credit your account and not your credit card so be specific where you want the $ to go.
Old 06-08-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a bunch of bullshit - I'd be pissed.
Old 06-08-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
you must know a lawyer (with as much real estate and renting you do I assume you deal with at least one lawyer on a semi regular basis) who would be willing to let you write the letter of dispute on the law firm letter head
Old 06-09-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would siriusly consider dropping them. That is some sirius bullshit. Siriusly.
Old 06-09-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Jello
Sounds like Sirius customer service is handled by MSN.
fixed.
Old 06-09-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like Sirius customer service is handled by Cingular.
fixed.
Old 06-09-05, 02:00 PM

As a couple people have said, if they don't reverse it in the next couple of days, I would dispute the charge with the credit card company. You can copy and paste your initial post for the explanation.
Old 06-09-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I would dispute it. It seems that you paid the whole year. What a bunch of crap.
Old 06-09-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They gotta come up with the money to pay Howard Stern somehow don't they?
Old 06-09-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you don't get it taken care of, post here and let me know. I have contacts in their PR dept. who could probably get it resolved for you.
Old 06-09-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I called the retention department directly because I didn't want to wait, and got it figured out in a couple of minutes.

Still irritates me a bit, but I don't think I'll sell my equipment now.
Old 06-09-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like Sirius customer service is handled by Sirius.
Fixed, although somehow not that funny.