Reload this Page >

NYC people I desperately need your help with housing & jobs

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-06-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello dvdtalkers from NYC. I need some huge help from you guys.

I desperately need some help/recommendations in finding an apartment in New York City (Manhattan). I saw a similar thread from a member also looking for housing in NYC but my situation is more drastic and life altering.

Here is my situation. I am a 24 year old male from Portland, Oregon, who graduated from college in June 2003. I have spent about the last 6 months looking for jobs in NYC via the internet in the media/publishing/writing industry. Iíve had absolutely no luck. No call backs for interviews or any emails. Absolutely nothing. So after some hard thinking and long talks with the parents, we have decided that the best thing for me is to actually move to NYC and try to look for jobs there. Am I crazy?

So once I arrive in NYC, I need a place to stay and start looking for apartments immediately. I have been looking on craigslist everyday for shared apartments and have emailed a few people. I am worried that some people may be hesitant since I am from out-of-state and donít have a job yet. But my parents will be my guaranties. Is there any other websites besides craigslist where I can find shared housing? The most I can afford is $1000 a month. Also, does anyone know the average price of a brokerís fee? If worse comes to worse, I may need to get a broker to help me find a place. Iím not even sure where to find a broker.

Another important question I have is finding cheap hotels. While I look for apartments and meet potential roommates, I need a place to stay. There is only one person I know who is currently in the city and not sure if I can ask him if I can stay with them until I find a place. I wish I knew more people so I could temporarily stay with them and wouldnít have to deal with all this. So I need some recommendations for cheap lodging. I donít know where to even start and really donít want to stay in some roach and rat infested place. I really hope that it wonít take more than a week to find a place. Is this wishful thinking?

Lastly, does anyone know some good temp agencyís I can find in NYC?

I know this is a very awkward and a very weird post but I am desperate and donít know where to ask. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advanced.
Old 06-06-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I stayed in the Skyline Hotel in 2003. It's a mid-sized 60's-era hotel that has been remodeled/refurbished in the past few years. It's not as cheap now as it was when I was there ($99-109 a night), but it is affordable for being a hotel that's literally a 5 minute walk West of Times Square. I believe it's on 50th and 10th. Great pool w/view of the Manhattan skyline.

Another option would be trying priceline.com or hotwire.com. You could probably find especially reasonable (well, for New York) lodgings by bidding on priceline.
Old 06-06-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 506 Likes on 354 Posts
First, and foremost, you need to talk to your friend. Unless your parents can pay for a hotel for an extended time, you'll need a homebase.
Old 06-06-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$1k will be very tight too unless you can get in on a small 3-br apt. $2k won't get even a small 2-br anywhere convenient. Although you should look at living in NJ or further north--just don't let transpo costs get too high. Subway/buses are cheap, $70 or so for a 30-day pass, so you're OK anywhere those go to. LI trains are pricier.

As for hotels, I think the Pennsylvania Hotel across from Penn Station/MSG is cheap.

Rentals: a few of the RE sites do rentals as well as sales. Check out citihabitats, corcoran, and douglaselliman. Also do a websearch for broker-free services; they do exist. But you will probably need a roommate and a good deal--$1k won't get you even a small studio in a bad neighborhood here.
Old 06-06-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would recommend Astoria or Hoboken as they are a 15/20 minute subway ride from midtown and you should be able to find something comfortable for $1,000 a month. I would advise against coming to New York without a job but if you do I would try to find some temp work real fast or plan on working as a waiter or equivalent.

As for apartments you can try nofeerentals.com or rockrosenyc.com. Brokers will generally charge 15% of 1st year rents. So if a place costs $2,000 a month you should expect to pay $3,600 just for them finding you a place. Unfortunately, nothing in New York is cheap.

How much are you expecting to make in the media/publishing/writing industry?
Old 06-06-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have to be Manhattan? Sewer though it is, Brooklyn may be more affordable and it is relatively convenient to Manhattan. A grand a month on housing is definitely a stretch for Manhattan digs. Unless you're willing to share with 6 people.
Old 06-06-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you so much for all the recommendations so far. I need all the help I can get. I have got some responses back from craigslist and found a decent place in the Washington Heights area. Is this a safe area? What is the area like?
Old 06-06-05, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Thank you so much for all the recommendations so far. I need all the help I can get. I have got some responses back from craigslist and found a decent place in the Washington Heights area. Is this a safe area? What is the area like?
No, it sucks.
Old 06-06-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does Washington Heights suck? How about the Park Slope area? Is this in Brooklyn or still in Manhattan? I would like to live in Manhattan because I am somewhat familiar of the area and everything is more convenient. But beggers can't be choosers.
Old 06-06-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$1k a month will get you a studio outside of manhattan
Old 06-06-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Does it have to be Manhattan? Sewer though it is, Brooklyn may be more affordable and it is relatively convenient to Manhattan. A grand a month on housing is definitely a stretch for Manhattan digs. Unless you're willing to share with 6 people.
what's wrong with brooklyn? Most areas of brooklyn are very expensive and very nice. My inlaws' house is worth like $700,000 there.
Old 06-06-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

park slope is in brooklyn. It's about 20-40 minutes from manhattan via subway depending on which line. but that's a good place to look for a share with you 1k. nice neighborhood too. next neighborhood over is windsor terrace. that's where i live. it's boring as hell but the price drop is pretty significant. check for shares there. i wouldn't go in on anything with too heavy of a lease since you're very much unsure of the future right now. a share is a great idea. share or summer sublet, which is something that is always around this time of year.

you're in for a tough time, me thinks.

Or you could buy my house, also on craig's list
Old 06-06-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd also recommend Hoboken, you should be able to find a small apartment for $1000 (or a roomate). It's a small 'city', very safe, good culture. Short walk to PATH trains and then about 20 min ride into midtown NY.

birrman54
Old 06-06-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am definately looking for a place with roommates and I thought with $1000 a month would find a me a decent place in Manhattan but I guess I was totally wrong. Thanks for the recommendations on Hoboken, brooklyn and windsor terrace. I am curious how you guys found housing in NYC?
Old 06-06-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you live in hoboken you will get hit with the commmuter tax i believe. you will have to pay NYC taxes and NJ taxes if you work in NYC.
Old 06-06-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tip al bundy. I will take hoboken off my list.
Old 06-06-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am definately looking for a place with roommates and I thought with $1000 a month would find a me a decent place in Manhattan...

...but I guess I was totally wrong.

Yeah, you were wrong. It's not impossible that you'll find a tiny room in someone else's crap apartment for that money. But definitely expand your options. I would warn against anything that's not serviced by the subway (i.e. NJ, CT, LI) since it will make getting home at night tougher. Frankly, riding the subway at night (hell, or even during rush) is damn near impossible these days, but you have a slightly better chance of getting home.

What you'll discover is that for a lot of people NY becomes a very tiny place. Unless you can afford to drop unlimited amounts of money on taxis it's pretty inconvenient to leave your immediate neighborhood during off hours too frequently. That's why it's important to like your neighborhood. And if you don't, hooboy it can get rough.

But you'll have the new New Yorker enthusiasm, where you happily ride the subway for 3 1/2 hours to see a silent Russian movie in Queens because you read a good review in the Voice. Ah, I remember those days!

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 06-06-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would take a look at this: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sub/77328768.html

I used to live a block from there. It's quite nice. Prospect Park is great. I'm there every day.
Old 06-06-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I drove out to a job interview in westbury a few weeks ago and that is when I decided i don't want to drive to work no matter how much I complain about the subway.

I would think about getting a cheapo car if you have to work at night or if you are going to be out and about at night. The subway sucks at night.
Old 06-06-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And here's a furnished room in Manhattan that's only $1000... FOR ONE WEEK!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sub/77314981.html

Someone's going on vacation and wants 1k to loan out their bedroom!
Spoiler:
And they'll get it too!
Old 06-06-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Contact these folks: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/sub/77303643.html

A lot of people LOVE Astoria. There's a lot going on there and it's very close to Manhattan.

And here's one in Carrol Gardens: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sub/77313611.html
It's a Park Slope-ish neighborhood that's closer to manhattan but has no Prospect Park.
Old 06-06-05, 04:32 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...coop+manhattan

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...coop+manhattan
Old 06-06-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My sister lived in Astoria for a few years when she first started working in Manhattan. She was paying very reasonable rent (1100) in a decent courtyard building a few blocks from the subway.

I've been to Astoria plenty of times and like it, though I have never lived there. From a commuting perspective, it seems like a very reasonable solution. Then again, I actually miss the days when I took two trains and a bus to get to work in Chicago.
Old 06-06-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Find a roomate in Hoboken or the Oranges. It's an easy commute, at least for your purposes. Once you have the job you can decide if you want to move into the city.
Old 06-06-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gil Jawetz thank you so much for helping me out. You're awesome. Will check those links out. How about this place. It sounds to good to be true. Is this a good area 124th St. of 3rd Avenue, near the Lexington Avenue train line (4,5, 6 trains)?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/roo/76660453.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.