Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

True Equality is Twice as Many Potties

Old 05-30-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

True Equality is Twice as Many Potties

I know women are slower, but lets admit this is compensation, not equality. I also notice that a law good enough for everybody else isn't good enough for the city that passed it. Municipal buildings are exempt.

(This probably means male city employees are as slow as women)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...potty_parity_1
NYC Council OKs 'Potty Parity' Bill Thu May 26, 6:05 PM ET

NEW YORK - Many new and renovated buildings in New York City will be required to have twice as many restrooms for women as men under "potty parity" legislation passed by the City Council.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Women's Restroom Equity Bill, which won unanimous support in a vote Wednesday, revises a 1984 law requiring just one women's bathroom for every men's restroom. It is meant to ease women's notoriously long waits for public restrooms.

"When we talk about women and their quality of life, one thing that everyone has sort of turned a blind eye to has been our ability to utilize public facilities in a timely manner," said Councilwoman Yvette Clarke, the bill's chief sponsor.

The bill, first introduced in late 2003, would apply to arenas, auditoriums, drinking places, meeting halls, theaters, public dance halls and stadiums. Schools, restaurants, hospitals and municipals buildings would be exempt.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is expected to sign the legislation into law.
Old 05-30-05, 07:36 AM

it is ok for all women not to wait too long to use a CR
Old 05-30-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't they just pee faster?
Old 05-30-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this is bullshit. Anyone who spends a fair amount of time at bars, shows, etc. now knows that the lines are generally way longer for men's bathrooms than women. I think they have achieved their parity, and it needs to swing back in the other direction.

No way that would ever happen though.
Old 05-30-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by deadlax
I think this is bullshit. Anyone who spends a fair amount of time at bars, shows, etc. now knows that the lines are generally way longer for men's bathrooms than women. I think they have achieved their parity, and it needs to swing back in the other direction.

No way that would ever happen though.
Really? Every time I've been at an event with a lot of people, the line for the ladies room has usually been much longer than the mens. Also, working at a visitors center that a lot of people use throughout the day, I've noticed that the womans room is much messier than the mens room*.

*Not that I go into the womans room while we're open to the public

Brian
Old 05-30-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bdshort
I've noticed that the womans room is much messier than the mens room*.

true dat. The ladies room was so messy at work they locked it and gave out keys.
Old 05-30-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if this means that they can get out faster without me having to wait around, i am for it.

they should make female urinals.
Old 05-30-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

And women everywhere will wonder why they aren't treated equally by a society they demand special consideration from.

It is ironic that if the Equal Rights Amendment had passed, this would be unconstitutional.
Old 05-30-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder how many businesses will just rip out 1/2 of the toilets in the men's restrooms now? That would seem less expensive than adding additional capacity for women.
Old 05-30-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so, i'm no math major. someone explain this to me. i always understood it this way:

1 ≠ 2

but, i guess what they're trying to say is:

1 = 2

Old 05-30-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Learn to aim. Sheesh!
Old 05-30-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I wonder how many businesses will just rip out 1/2 of the toilets in the men's restrooms now? That would seem less expensive than adding additional capacity for women.
If it's anything like the Texas law, it will only come into play in new buildings or when buildings are being renovated. Existing buildings wouldn't have to comply.
Old 05-30-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDan
If it's anything like the Texas law, it will only come into play in new buildings or when buildings are being renovated. Existing buildings wouldn't have to comply.
I figured that much, but I assumed that remodeling would trigger the law. After doing a search, it appears:

Once in effect, the law will impose the 2-to-1 ratio on new sites and on existing venues when they undertake major renovations. Venue owners can circumvent the rule by making all their restrooms unisex.
I wonder if we'll see more unisex bathrooms as a result now?
Old 05-30-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I wonder if we'll see more unisex bathrooms as a result now?
I doubt it. Unisex potties are generally one potty per room, maybe two. It would still be cheaper to build a women's double potty station where you could get 20 stalls in the same space as 5 unisex rooms.
Old 05-30-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm curious why so many guys are bent out of shape about this.
Old 05-30-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Not the first time equal protection has been construed to mean special protection. Sadly, it won't be the last.

Anybody who has been to a sports bar or venue knows that the line for the men's room is always longer than the line for the women's room.
Old 05-30-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I think if you want equal rights, you shouldn't go after special rights. Personally, I take legitimate complaints less seriously when you want everything equal, except for those things for which you want special treatment.
Old 05-30-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I think if you want equal rights, you shouldn't go after special rights. Personally, I take legitimate complaints less seriously when you want everything equal, except for those things for which you want special treatment.
So then you are against handicapped entrances am I correct? After all, if they want to be equal, they should have to enter the same way able-boddied people do....

Right?
Old 05-30-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't particularly care, but I can see why, when the rallying cry has been equality only to see instances where those wanting equality suddenly want special treatment.
Old 05-30-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

So then you are against handicapped entrances am I correct? After all, if they want to be equal, they should have to enter the same way able-boddied people do....

Right?

Do you agree that being female is a handicap?
Old 05-30-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right?
I'm not against handicapped entrances at all. I just don't much care for people when they say handicapped people are equal in every way to non-handicapped people. Handicapped people are lesser by virtue of their handicap, and I'm fine with accommodating their needs.

If women are saying "it takes us twice as long to use the restroom as men", that's fine, but that's saying to me that women are lesser in that regard than men. "Equal to men in most ways, but lesser in at least one way" isn't the rallying cry I've heard from most feminists.
Old 05-30-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Do you agree that being female is a handicap?
In certain situations it can be a handicap, or at the very least a disadvantage.

Really though, other than sports events, comic book conventions or computer conventions there usually are lines for the ladies' room.

If women are saying "it takes us twice as long to use the restroom as men", that's fine, but that's saying to me that women are lesser in that regard than men. "Equal to men in most ways, but lesser in at least one way" isn't the rallying cry I've heard from most feminists.

I don't think it's an issue of being lesser as much as it is a difference in physiology. Most people have to use a bathroom to urinate. Women have to sit down to urinate on a toilet. Toilets take up more space when compared to urinals or those trough things. This means less people can relieve their bladders of urine.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 05-30-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

In certain situations it can be a handicap, or at the very least a disadvantage.

Really though, other than sports events, comic book conventions or computer conventions their usually are lines for the ladies' room.

That's why you let private businesses determine the necessary ratio for themselves. For example, if mall owners want to install 5 times as many women's toilets than men's, no biggy.
Old 05-30-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Really though, other than sports events, comic book conventions or computer conventions their usually are lines for the ladies' room.

I don't think it's an issue of being lesser as much as it is a difference in physiology. Most people have to use a bathroom to urinate. Women have to sit down to urinate on a toilet. Toilets take up more space when compared to urinals or those trough things. This means less people can relieve their bladders of urine.
I agree. If there were instances where men had "special rights" over women as mandated by the government, I would have no problem with this either.
Old 05-30-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That's why you let private businesses determine the necessary ratio for themselves. For example, if mall owners want to install 5 times as many women's toilets than men's, no biggy.
I didn't say I agree with the law, just that I can see where they're coming from. My only problem with it was that it was going to force businesses to build extra bathrooms.

Most of the people in this thread however, felt it to be an affront to their manhood .

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.