Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Where to buy plastic model Kits online

Old 05-29-05, 04:38 PM
Banned

Where to buy plastic model Kits online

Don't bash me for wanting to try this childhood hobby again, but I figured some otters would be able to help me out. I am interested in picking up a few model kits for fun and putting them together and painting them...particularly military aircraft models, but also maybe some cars, etc. First, what are the popular companies for this stuff now, and are people still painting them with a brush and paint from the little jars or is it all spray type paint now? I haven't built a model since I was maybe 10-12 years old and back then my coordination was too shaky to do it properly, so they always came out like shit. Even now I am only interested in intermediate level glue and paint plastic models.....no basic snap together, and no advanced..... Can anyone answer my questions?
Old 05-29-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know about cars and trucks but for gundams, robots of mass destruction, I go to http://www.kicks-hobby.com/. I don't really do cars but I did do a Homermobile. You know the car Homer Simpson designed.
Old 05-29-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a master list of almost 2000 model retailers

http://www.scalemodelindex.com/

My personal favorite site is greatmodels.com--great prices, super friendly service and they have some kits I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I'd also recommend towerhobbies.com and megahobby.com.

ANd, yep, while many people use airbrushes, many of us still use the old-fashioned paint brushes.
Old 05-29-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.hlj.com
Old 05-29-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd start with a cheaper one first. Read reviews on the kit before buying, and see if you think you'd be good at it. You can get really expensive ones from Japanese companys that really rock, but might be too complicated, and if you mess them up, you'll be mad at yourself for spending the money.
Old 05-30-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really don't think plastic model building is considered a child's hobby, even though a lot of people seem to do it as kids. Sometimes I think I'd like to try to build something again, but figure I'd get started, then never finish.

Brian