Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Should I Move to Des Moines?

Old 05-29-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Should I Move to Des Moines?

Like many other otters, I've got a job search going on right now and I am getting interest from companies in areas that would require a move. Possibilities include St Louis, Seattle, and Des Moines.

I don't have an offer yet, but feel I could adjust to St Louis and Seattle relatively quickly. I've been to these cities on business before and have at least a passing knowledge of those cities. But I know nothing abaout Des Moines and saw very little of it when I flew up for my job interview. I've checked it out online and found that it has some of the things I need to sustain life (Bet Buy--but no Circuit City--, Borders, Hooters, etc.) but I just don't have a feel for the city. So I'm turning the question over to y'all. Those of you who know Des Moines, what's it like?
Old 05-29-05, 11:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Feels like a small town, except it's kinda big.
Old 05-29-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a strange question to be asking with almost no context. All we know about you is that you need things like "Best Buy, Borders, Hooters, etc." We have no idea what you like to do, what kind of area you live in no, etc.

Clearly, there are people who live in Des Moines. Since the people who live there and you are not distinguishable in my mind, I say go for it.

That being said, I spent a week in and around Cedar Radips a few years ago. And I'm all for not going back.
Old 05-29-05, 11:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

I would go:

Seattle > Des Moines > St. Louis (too far south)

If the pay is the same at all 3 jobs, you'd probably come out the best in Des Moines. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive to Minneapolis if you want to go to some sports events that don't involve college teams.

There's lots of corn in the surrounding area.

They have a tulip festival I think.

Mopower & a few others can tell you more, I dropped in only once.
Old 05-29-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How did you get around to have Des Moines on the list?

-pedagogue
Old 05-29-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I would go:

Seattle > Des Moines > St. Louis (too far south)

If the pay is the same at all 3 jobs, you'd probably come out the best in Des Moines. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive to Minneapolis if you want to go to some sports events that don't involve college teams.

There's lots of corn in the surrounding area.

They have a tulip festival I think.

Mopower & a few others can tell you more, I dropped in only once.
As far as events, there will be more concert stops in Des Moines with the events center opening up. Between Des Moines and Ames (30 minutes north), hopefully many events make stops. Plus you have Cyclone football here in Ames!

However, for big events and professional sports, Minneapolis, Kansas City and Omaha are all within reasonable distant and Chicago is not too far off.

But as for living in Des Moines, I'm not sure. My wife and I are in Ames and prefer to stay here. I've heard arguments both ways for Des Moines, from both those born in the state and from outside the state, so I think you need some current/past resident opinions to be sure.
Old 05-29-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good lord, Des Moines?.....I guess if you're into sheep fucking, tobacoo spittin, and child molestin......COME ON OVER!!!
Old 05-29-05, 01:40 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Which Des Moines are you talking about? There is a city south of Seattle with the same name.
Old 05-29-05, 01:44 PM
Banned

screw Des Moines, come to San Franfrisko
Old 05-29-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lord no
Old 05-29-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've spent some time in Des Moines....It's a decent place to visit. I never considered moving there, but that is nothing against the city. It really has a lot of nice stuff, and their down town isn't run down like it is in some other metro areas (not that I have visited the other cities on your list to compare). If I had an opportunity to move there, I wouldn't mind at all.
Old 05-29-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
How did you get around to have Des Moines on the list?

-pedagogue
Contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume.

As for stevevt's quetion on what I like to do and where I live now. Currently in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Like watching & shopping for DVDs, books etc.; going to movies, celtic music (there have a society, checked it out); scottish festivals (there are a number within driving distance although the fact that none of them allow dogs is a turn off); taking my dogs to the dog park (they've got one); Red Sox games (will have to drive to KC or Chicago); representing my alma mater, UMASS at college fairs (can do that anywhere). I figure most of my interests acn be served by the Internet (still read the Boston Globe and the Berkshire Eagle everyday-can do that just as easily in Des Moines as Dallas).

I've basically heard that Des Moines is a "clean" city with friendly people. Just trying to get a better handle on it.
Old 05-29-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Plus you have Cyclone football here in Ames!
Yes, but if don't want to be a complete and total loser, (God, how could you be in the Big XII north and still suck ass?) you'll make the two hour drive to Iowa City to see the Hawkeyes. Much better stadium, too.

On the Iowa topic, I'd move there. Seattle is glum. St. Louis, a much better choice, but still not as good as Des Moines. Really, the people are nicer than anywhere else, with the possible exception of the deep south, but add to that the highest IQs in the nation. So, really a perfect place to live. I would never want to live anywhere else.

Then again, I'm in Ramadi, so WTF do I know.

Don't take Mopower's word as gospel. He hates Iowa, but then again, I don't know a whole hell of a lot he actually likes.
Old 05-29-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Christ no.
Old 05-29-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
So, really a perfect place to live. I would never want to live anywhere else.
Hell, it's practically Eden.
Old 05-29-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Idiots
Out
Wandering
Around

Last edited by NORML54601; 05-29-05 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iowa's a great city with a relatively low cost of living and, yes, nice people. It would be a good place to raise a family.

As has been mentioned, you'd be 3.5 hours from Minneapolis, about 4 hours from Kansas City and 6 hours from Chicago.

I've spent a lot of time in St. Louis, and that would be my first choice, but Des Moines is a very livable city. I've never been to Seattle.
Old 05-30-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, KC is about 3 hours from Des Moines, and I would say about 4 hours from Minneapolis. I make a trip from KC to MN every year.
Old 05-30-05, 06:48 AM

Only if you're a die-hard Slipknot fan
Old 05-30-05, 08:26 AM

HTML Code:
Currently in the Dallas/Ft Worth
Funny your moving from DFW to Iowa. I moved here from Davenport 10 years ago. One plus is your lungs will be much happier. Iowa air is much better (except when you drive by a pig farm, whew!) i've been to Des Moines once or twice. Nice city. If you have kids, you'll move from the bottom 5 states in education to a top 5 state!
Old 05-30-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe you're considering Iowa ... maybe I'm just a big city person.
Old 05-30-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if I lived in Dallas i'd move just about anywhere.....you're already in one of the shittiest cities in America....go for it!
Old 05-30-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Des Moines is better than the other two. St Louis is a crime ridden shit hole. Seattle is ok but the weather is aweful.
Old 05-30-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stupid
Egotist
Assholes
Trying
To
Learn
Everyone
Old 05-30-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Idiots
Out
Wandering
Around

Who's the idiot? You had to edit your post because you couldn't get it right the first time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.