Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Question about a used BBQ grill I bought

Old 05-28-05, 07:19 PM

Question about a used BBQ grill I bought

So I went out garage saling today and I found an older bbq for $10. It is a propane type bbq grill but it has a rack over the top of the burners and covering the rack is some bricks and then another rack is above this. Is this so I can use the bbq as a charcoal bbq grill or are the bricks serving another purpose.

Here is a picture:

Also can anyone recommend something to use to clean the inside of the grill up with? I might slap a coat of paint on the outside but the inside can use a good cleaning...
Old 05-28-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the bricks serve to provide more even heat throughout the BBQ grill rather than just in the spots where the flame is.
Old 05-28-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think the bricks serve to provide more even heat throughout the BBQ grill rather than just in the spots where the flame is.
What he said. The first propane grills used lava rocks. The ceramic bricks like you have came along later as more efficient and uniform. Most grills now use metal "flavorizer bars" over the burner to spread the heat evenly and to protect the burners from corrosive juices.

Hard to clean the insides effectively (but maybe a propane plumber's torch to burn it off?). I'd replace the top grill rack, which looks nasty in the photo and call it good. I had a grill like that for 14 years before I bought my Weber. The burners and top rack need replacement every few years, but apart from that, it was pretty durable.

Edit: Turn the "bricks" over occasionally. They get nasty on top and "flame cleaned" on the bottom; reverse, repeat..

Last edited by OldDude; 05-28-05 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 07:57 PM
ams

If you decide to paint it, be sure to use a heat resistant spraypaint specifically made for BBQ's. Otherwise, it will flake off and look worse than before.

http://www.epinions.com/Paint-Rust-O...y_Paint_Enamel
Old 05-28-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Almost every single major part of grills is now available at Home Depot. If you grill gets really hot, I'd suggest getting cast iron grates.