Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Searching for an apartment in NYC - where for art thou?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-28-05, 01:45 PM

Any advice? I've gotten apts in the past, but not in NYC, which I hear is a whole new ballgame.

I'm looking to move in around mid - late July in the Morningside Heights area. Since I'm a college student (grad) price is definitely an object. So, the penthouse suite will have to stick to the celebrity types... unless they need a house sitter. Around 1,200 a month would be the optimum amount, leaving enough time to study and write those thesis thingies in between whoring myself out.

Any strategies or tips are not only welcomed, but highly encouraged .
Old 05-28-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

wait..
you want to live with art?
Old 05-28-05, 03:00 PM
Banned

Well...$1200 is MORE than enough for a good sized one bedroom depending on where you're looking. Morningside Heights would probably be affordable for you but there are places even closer than that to Manhattan. That's pretty far up there and it'd probably be easier to get to NYC from Queens or Brooklyn. If you need any help, let me know. More than happy to help.
Old 05-28-05, 03:26 PM

Are you looking at Morningside Heights because you will be going to Columbia, or are you open to other areas as well?
Old 05-28-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Well...$1200 is MORE than enough for a good sized one bedroom depending on where you're looking. Morningside Heights would probably be affordable for you but there are places even closer than that to Manhattan. That's pretty far up there and it'd probably be easier to get to NYC from Queens or Brooklyn. If you need any help, let me know. More than happy to help.
What city r u living in?? $1200 won't even get a smallish studio in the LES. Maybe up in Morningside you can find something, or in a really bad area of Brooklyn. But for a decent-sized 1BR and no roommate, $1200 won't get you anything in reasonable commuting distance of mid-Manhattan. Heck, it's tough to find a small studio for that these days.
Old 05-28-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i rent studios all the time for $1200 in the east village. they aren't luxury buildings, but they're only a couple blocks from the Astor Place station.
Old 05-28-05, 07:49 PM

$1200 will get you a studio and MAYYYYYBE a one bedroom in the LES/East Village, but for all the way up in Morningside Heights, you should be able to find something for that.

But never look more then a month before you want to move. I found my place...and everyone I know who lives in this city found their place, on craigslist.
Old 05-28-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
wait..
you want to live with art?
Old 05-28-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and don't forget to budget 2 months rent for the broker fees that you pay to the real estate agent
Old 05-29-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
1200 will get you my basement in the NE Bronx
Old 05-29-05, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
1200 will get you my basement in the NE Bronx
It's always good to have options.

I'm sticking with Morningside Heights b/c of it's location (I'll be going to Columbia) and it works out that it's not as pricey as a lot of other areas in Manhattan. A 1 bedroom or decent sized studio will be perfectly fine.
Old 05-29-05, 02:23 AM

Well at least you'll be near the uptown Kims...
Old 05-29-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Neuman
$1200 will get you a studio and MAYYYYYBE a one bedroom in the LES/East Village, but for all the way up in Morningside Heights, you should be able to find something for that.

But never look more then a month before you want to move. I found my place...and everyone I know who lives in this city found their place, on craigslist.
Found mine through a broker. If you're getting a 1br and whatknot...very hard to find a good place through any means that are not a broker. Plus, it'll be worth it in the end. I'd rather have a great place that i have to pay a brokers fee for than an ok place that's no fee.
Old 05-29-05, 12:04 PM

Well I mean I found my broker through craigslist.
Old 05-29-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you're interested in sharing, I'm actually looking for a roommate for my 2BR in Park Slope, Brooklyn (10-15min from lower Manhattan via train). If you're interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]. 900/month.
Old 05-29-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's an Otter Connection!