Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Friends car got stolen, need advice

Old 05-28-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friends car got stolen, need advice

Trust me, it was a piece of shit car, but we believe it was stolen nevertheless. We've called the city's non-emergency number to see if the car was towed, and as of last night, no dice.

Now, how to proceed is the question. My friend is estatic that the car was stolen so he might get more than what he would have gotten if he sold it. He doesn't want his insurance rates to increase. He's willing to "lose" the $1,000 by not reporting it lost/stolen if it means that his rates don't increase in the future.

So the question is ... how do you get rid of a car with physical possession of the title?
Old 05-28-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm totally confused. How can he get money from the car if he doesn't report it stolen? Isn't he worried that the car might turn up four months from now with 50 kg of coke in the trunk?
Old 05-28-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he is debating if he should report it stolen or not. It wasn't worth much money -- like maybe $1000 to $1500 tops.

However, you bring up a good point -- might want to go ahead and report it stolen because it could be used for drug running.
Old 05-28-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If he's worried about insurance rates, report it to the police but don't file an insurance claim.
Old 05-28-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he should just report it.
Old 05-28-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
If he's worried about insurance rates, report it to the police but don't file an insurance claim.
I would do this, and then take the report to the DMV and report it stolen as well. That way, if they pull a Homer and park the car on the lobby of the Empire State Building, you aren't responsible for the tickets.
Old 05-28-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I second reporting it. Not only could it be used for drug running but hit/run or kidnapping... it could really get messy for your friend.

But then it might be returned. Then you know you truely have a POS car
Old 05-28-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

reporting it wont make his insurance go up. If he files a claim with the insurer, that will.
Old 05-28-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not reporting a car and then getting into some issues for it happend to 'foo I believe. (She didn't nothing wrong...it was something to do with the title...etc. She was fighting tickets/registration stuff for it. Hopefully she'll come along and share her insight)

-pedagogue
Old 05-28-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Did he actually have full insurance on a $1500 car? Or does he think his homeowners would pay it?

I'm confused.
Old 05-28-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Did he actually have full insurance on a $1500 car? Or does he think his homeowners would pay it?

I'm confused.
He actually had full insurance on the car.

I know.
Old 05-28-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing? Who would have full coverage on a shitty car that isn't worth much?

He needs to report it to the police, it's his choice to report it to the insurance company.

If he does a police report it will get entered into LEDS and NCIC as a stolen vehicle and he will not be liable for it anymore. From my experience, if this really is a crappy car it was probably stolen by some kids to joy ride around in. Right now it has probably already been abandoned in some parking lot or neighborhood. Eventually someone will call it in as an abandoned vehicle and the police will recover it.
Old 05-28-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
He actually had full insurance on the car.

I know.

He probably paid more in additional insurance premiums than the car was worth.
Old 05-28-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Six years ago, I had two brand new cars stolen from me in two weeks. My insurance didn't go up at all, and they covered both fully. It depends on who his insurance company is.
Old 05-28-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd report it to the police also.

This insurance crap pisses me off though! Insurance is required, so ya pay through the nose just to maintain a legal standing, then, God forbid you should ever file a claim, the rates go up!! What a fucking scam!! You pay for a service you're afraid to use! Okay, I'm done.
Old 05-28-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's an idea. Report it to the police for the report, and then just cancel the policy on the insurance side. Win/win situation right there.
Old 05-28-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What Deftones said. Police report is a must. It could save your ass in many ways, especially if the car is used in the act of a crime.