Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a good car insurance company?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-27-05, 05:25 PM

My insurance company (Auto-Owners) is dropping me effective July 28 because of 2 wrecks in 3 years. I've had them since I was 16 (22 now) and my parents had them for 10+ years before that. I can gurantee you we've paid more in premium over the years than what they've paid us in claims.

So back to the original question.. Any good insurance companies? I've looked up reviews on All State, State Farm, and one or 2 others, and everything is negative.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

USAA if you qualify.
Old 05-27-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sebring98
I can gurantee you we've paid more in premium over the years than what they've paid us in claims.
I guess I should go into the insurance business, since net revenue apparently is a very simple formula:

"Premiums collected minus payouts"
Old 05-27-05, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by stevevt
I guess I should go into the insurance business, since net revenue apparently is a very simple formula:

"Premiums collected minus payouts"
Not the point, but I'm not going to get into it.
Old 05-27-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there is a lot more to insurance besides what they paid you (what did they pay the other people in the accident, what if there are injuries/medical expenses)..

but besides that, I have been very happy with State Farm for the past 13 years. After each of my claimed accidents, my car was in the shop being repaired within 2 days each time.
Old 05-27-05, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by grrrah
there is a lot more to insurance besides what they paid you (what did they pay the other people in the accident, what if there are injuries/medical expenses)..
I'm aware of this. I was unclear, my apologies. My point was, my family has been customers for 20+ years, and we have paid at least 3x in premiums of what they've paid back out to us or others.
Old 05-27-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Costco -- American Express, Progressive, Geico (although with 2 accidents, you might want to look for some "off-brand")
Old 05-27-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have USAA but have never shopped around. I always figured they were the best.
Old 05-27-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Progressive was by far the cheapest for me (by about $400 per year). 25 with a brand new car and one year old speeding ticket.
Old 05-27-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You will be hard pressed to find one. A 22 year old male with 2 claims in 3 years and only driving for 6 total years. I've been out of the insurance industry for about 7 years, but we wouldn't even consider issuing a new policy to someone with that risk factor. There is quite a bit of paperwork and a possible premium charged to an insurance company for dropping someone because of excessive claims (varies by state). This isn't something they do lightly.

You may have to go to your State's high-risk pool.
Old 05-27-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Hartford (877-230-3084) I just recently got in an accident. I had a rental and my car was in the shop by the end of the same day it happened. Wonderful service.

Last edited by La Bella Rose; 05-28-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
USAA is great - if you qualify.
Old 05-27-05, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by island007
You will be hard pressed to find one. A 22 year old male with 2 claims in 3 years and only driving for 6 total years. I've been out of the insurance industry for about 7 years, but we wouldn't even consider issuing a new policy to someone with that risk factor. There is quite a bit of paperwork and a possible premium charged to an insurance company for dropping someone because of excessive claims (varies by state). This isn't something they do lightly.

You may have to go to your State's high-risk pool.
Great. Last thing I can afford really. A college student who will also most likely be classified as a "high-risk" with my med insurance when I get out of school. Ain't life grand?

(Not being an ass, just expressing my frustrations. Please don't take it the wrong way.)
Old 05-27-05, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
The Hartford (877-230-3084) I just recently got in an accident. I had a rental and my car was in the shop by the end of the same day it happened. Wonderful costumer service.
I'll check that one out. Thanks.
Old 05-27-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great. Last thing I can afford really. A college student who will also most likely be classified as a "high-risk" with my med insurance when I get out of school. Ain't life grand?

(Not being an ass, just expressing my frustrations. Please don't take it the wrong way.)
Do you live on or near campus? Not to be a smartass, but when I was in school, I ditched a car for a bike. made it fine until my last year, and I wouldnt have needed it if it werent for an internship.
Old 05-27-05, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by grrrah
Do you live on or near campus? Not to be a smartass, but when I was in school, I ditched a car for a bike. made it fine until my last year, and I wouldnt have needed it if it werent for an internship.
Yes I do, but I'm entering my last year in school. Bad timing. I'll start interviewing for jobs soon (Lord willing) and I'll need to get a part time job to help pay off medical bills and schooling. I wish that was an option though.
Old 05-28-05, 12:10 AM

Gotta' recommend State Farm, but if you're being dropped might have to go with Safe Auto if it's available in your area. I think Nationwide is starting a company for high-risk drivers too.
Old 05-28-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Judge Smails
Gotta' recommend State Farm, but if you're being dropped might have to go with Safe Auto if it's available in your area. I think Nationwide is starting a company for high-risk drivers too.
I 2nd that. I just got it for my bike and it was only $316/year, granted it was for a bike but it's still a damn good deal.
Old 05-28-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found Progressive to be the overall winner. With 2 accidents in 3 years though you're pretty much screwed, especially if you're under 25, male, and not married. Good luck.
Old 05-28-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I highly recommend Sentry if you can get it in your state and if you qualify for their Payback policy.

With the Payback policy, after you remain claim free for the first five years, you receive a rebate of of the premium you paid five years ago. This continues each year as long as you are claim free. My wife and I have now been getting this rebate for about 5 years.

http://www.sentry.com/CP/ProductDeta...x?Product=AICR

Last edited by movielib; 05-28-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-28-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I have Allstate. switched to them because it was the cheapest one my agent was affiliated with
Old 05-28-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
I 2nd that. I just got it for my bike and it was only $316/year, granted it was for a bike but it's still a damn good deal.
Is that for the R6? What kind of coverages?
Old 05-28-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm aware of this. I was unclear, my apologies. My point was, my family has been customers for 20+ years, and we have paid at least 3x in premiums of what they've paid back out to us or others.
1st sorry you got canceled, however were your family canceled? I mean insurance is no different then credit. You as a young kid don't have the credit history your folks had and you can't say "my parents had an American Express Platnium card for 15 years I should be able to get one". Since you are only 22 you could not have had insurance for 20 years unless you started driving at 2.

2nd insurance is all about the "law of large numbers". It is NOT a savings account where you put in money for you to take out at a later day. For insurance to work MOST people can never have a claim. That is why it works. A simple and obvious example are the California fires. Say insurance cost $1,000 per year for a home in California and one burns to the ground. Even if that one paid $1,000 for 10 years it would not come close to covering the $500,000 or more to cover those costs. You could do some simple math to see how many people had to pay $1,000 per year for 10 years with never having a claim to pay for that ONE $500,000 claim.

That is why at times insurance companies get a bad rap. If they go a few years without having a lot of claims their available cash shoots thru the roof and people complain that insurance companies make to much money. Of course when four hurricanes hit, everyone wants the insurance company to have all that money!

3rd there is a minor shake up going on in Auto insurance. You should really do some shopping around. Even in your position you should be able to get insurance and the cost will likely vary from company to company. So get as many quotes as possible being careful to compare exact same coverages. And even if you get turned down by a company all together you might want to check back with them. Many of them are changing how they insure people and you may be able to get on at a latter date.

Good luck to you....

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-28-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-28-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
1st sorry you got canceled, however were your family canceled? I mean insurance is no different then credit. You as a young kid don't have the credit history your folks had and you can't say "my parents had an American Express Platnium card for 15 years I should be able to get one". Since you are only 22 you could not have had insurance for 20 years unless you started driving at 2.

2nd insurance is all about the "law of large numbers". It is NOT a savings account where you put in money for you to take out at a later day. For insurance to work MOST people can never have a claim. That is why it works. A simple and obvious example are the California fires. Say insurance cost $1,000 per year for a home in California and one burns to the ground. Even if that one paid $1,000 for 10 years it would not come close to covering the $500,000 or more to cover those costs. You could do some simple math to see how many people had to pay $1,000 per year for 10 years with never having a claim to pay for that ONE $500,000 claim.

That is why at times insurance companies get a bad rap. If they go a few years without having a lot of claims their available cash shoots thru the roof and people complain that insurance companies make to much money. Of course when four hurricanes hit, everyone wants the insurance company to have all that money!

3rd there is a minor shake up going on in Auto insurance. You should really do some shopping around. Even in your position you should be able to get insurance and the cost will likely vary from company to company. So get as many quotes as possible being careful to compare exact same coverages. And even if you get turned down by a company all together you might want to check back with them. Many of them are changing how they insure people and you may be able to get on at a latter date.

Good luck to you....

Very well said.
Old 05-28-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asabase
Progressive was by far the cheapest for me (by about $400 per year). 25 with a brand new car and one year old speeding ticket.
whats your deductable?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.