Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Crane man causes disruption in Atlanta

Old 05-27-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crane man causes disruption in Atlanta

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/27/crane.man/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Ignoring pleas from police negotiators to surrender to authorities, a suspect in a Florida slaying on Friday remained atop an 18-story construction crane for nearly a third day.

Carl Edward Roland, 41, whom Florida authorities are seeking in the death of Jennifer Gonzalez, 36, mounted the crane Wednesday afternoon at a construction site in Atlanta's upscale Buckhead neighborhood, one of the city's top entertainment districts.

A part of Peachtree Road -- a main artery -- was blocked off near the site, snarling traffic in an already congested area home to many trendy bars and restaurants.

etc.
Surprised not to see this in Other already. I drove past this today and had to go about two miles out of my way to get where I was going in Buckhead, as police had surrounding streets blocked to traffic. When driving back, I was able to see the weird spectacle of a helicopter that had flown right next to the crane and was hovering, motionless, next to the guy, doubtless trying to talk him down. For blocks in all directions there were people ... well ... craning their necks back to get a look at the events taking place two hundred feet above the city.
Old 05-27-05, 04:15 PM
Banned

I was watching a live feed of this on the morning news. So he's still up there?
Old 05-27-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As of 5:21pm edt, he's still there. When I last saw video this morning, he appeared to be making a noose out of a rope on the crane (but didn't do anything with it yet). Callers on the radio are predictably suggesting that police shoot him down or get an operator up into the crane to swing it around and shake him off.

As far as anyone knows, he hasn't had food or water for the better part of three days. Seems as if the lack of water would become debilitating at some point soon; it's been pretty warm during the past couple of days, and he's out in the direct sun.
Old 05-27-05, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
he appeared to be making a noose out of a rope on the crane

What a tool! He's on a crane a couple hundred feet up in the air. If you want to kill yourself, simply step off.
Old 05-27-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what i want to know, is how has he relieved himself of bodily waste while making a fool of himself?
Old 05-27-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, we need bets on when he'll come down. Before the weekend is over?

I'm guessing around Saturday or Sunday is when he'll come down.
Old 05-27-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A part of Peachtree Road -- a main artery -- was blocked off near the site, snarling traffic in an already congested area home to many trendy bars and restaurants.
He can't last much longer with a main artery blocked off.
Old 05-27-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You fools! Don't you realize. He's on the hunt for the real killer. He's just trying to get an eagles eye view to make sure he sees them when they come out of where ever they are hiding
Old 05-27-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
here's another story on it:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=796548
Suspect Remains Atop Crane in Atlanta
Suicidal Man Wanted in Death of His Ex-Girlfriend in Fla. Remains Atop 18-Story Crane in Atlanta
By SORAYA NADIA
The Associated Press

May. 27, 2005 - A homicide suspect remained perched on an 18-story construction crane for a third day Friday, holding police negotiators at bay. A plea from his sister, offers of food and a plan to have him jump onto air bags hadn't resolved the standoff.

The man, identified as Carl Edward Roland, got onto the crane around 5 p.m. Wednesday and told police he was thinking of killing himself by jumping, Atlanta police spokesman Sgt. John Quigley said. On Friday, he was still there.

"When he's ready to come down, he'll come down one way or the other," Quigley said. "The protocol for them is to let him make the decisions."

Roland is wanted by the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's department in the death of ex-girlfriend Jennifer L. Gonzalez, 36. Her body was found Tuesday in a pond behind the apartment complex where she lived.

Authorities had said Thursday that Roland had talked to negotiators but refused food and water. Quigley said he didn't know if he had accepted anything since then.

Police called Roland's younger sister, Towana, who lives in Atlanta, to the scene Thursday. She said she hadn't seen him in years and hadn't realized he was in town.

She was not allowed to go up the crane, so she borrowed a mirror and tried to get his attention by flashing sunlight and shouting "Sugarfoot, it's your baby sister!"

Also Thursday, the fire department set up large air bags on the roof of the condominium building under construction, with the thought that they could swing the arm of the crane in that direction and persuade Roland to jump, said Atlanta police Lt. F.J. Zunno. The fall to the bags would be about 90 feet.

Since March, the 41-year-old Clearwater, Fla., man had quit his job as a software salesman, filed for bankruptcy and talked about moving to Las Vegas, the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times reported Friday. He had also talked about getting back together with the woman he is now accused of killing.

The standoff was disrupting traffic and providing free entertainment to residents and visitors in Atlanta's busy Buckhead neighborhood, an area filled with clubs and restaurants. Lunch and dinner crowds packed restaurant patios with clear views of the crane standoff.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures
"When he's ready to come down, he'll come down one way or the other," Sgt. John Quigley said.

Problem solved by Georgia's very own Chief Wiggum.
Old 05-27-05, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Get an indian to georgia and have him shoot him with a bow and arrow and then the guy will fall and you get the arrow head, win win.
Old 05-27-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
here's another story on it:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=796548

"When he's ready to come down, he'll come down one way or the other," Sgt. John Quigley said.

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Lois scales the town Christmas tree and they take her down with a dart.

If he's not getting any water or food, he's not going to be up there too much longer.
Old 05-27-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well its a three day weekend...
Old 05-27-05, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Old 05-27-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Breaking News from CNN:

Man safely apprehended after 56 hours.
Old 05-27-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was hoping he would yell you'll never take me alive coppers and throw himself from the crane....i mean he did have all those cameras on him...