Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What to take on flight

Old 05-27-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What to take on flight

Okay I am flying for the first time in a few years and I am want to make sure I am TSA ready. I will be gone for 3 days so I am bring only a carry on bag. Can I still use a garment bag for carry on? I know no fingernail clippers or nail files are allowed now. Are lighters a no-no now? What about disposable razors? Any other stupid rules I need to know about?
Old 05-27-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you wear Sketchers, they probably have metal in the sole that will set off the metal detectors and you will get taken behind the privacy wall to be patted down by an elderly black gentleman who's about to fall over dead. Just something to look forward to.

I took a backpack with a change of clothes, candy, Gameboy and magazines on with me with no problem.
Old 05-27-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just take your shoes off and put them through the X-Ray if there's metal in them. Hell, half the airports I go to make you take your shoes off and put them through the x-ray regardless.

Lighters are a no-no now. Think razors are allowed. If you go to the TSA website there's a list of what you can and can't take.
Old 05-27-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really depends on what airport you are flying out of. I've "flown" through some airport screening, and spent no more than 30 minutes going through security on others.

Like others have mentioned, Sketchers shoes are not metal detector friendly (on another note, I'm noticing that some shoes are sold as 'airport friendly' )

Just have some patience and you'll do just fine. Otherwise, the terrorists will win.
Old 05-27-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Always take your shoes off and toss them in the x-ray machine with the rest of your crap. It'll save you plenty of time and usually if you keep them on you are prime pickings to get a side inspection.

Lighters are indeed a no no in both your carry on and in your check in bags. So just don't bother with anything that lights.
Old 05-27-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they changed the rule that empty refillable lighters can be checked in now.
Old 05-27-05, 05:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

A Barf Bag.
Old 05-27-05, 05:46 PM

Doc Martens are another shoe that'll make the machine beep. ;-)

The airports I've been to recently make you take off your shoes, tho...
Old 05-27-05, 05:46 PM
Banned

Bring an Evian bottle filled with vodka.
Old 05-27-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why not take a Pocket Pal?

http://www.toyssexshop.com/products/0400.htm

check the reviews people love it

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 05-27-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
If you wear Sketchers, they probably have metal in the sole that will set off the metal detectors and you will get taken behind the privacy wall to be patted down by an elderly black gentleman who's about to fall over dead. Just something to look forward to.

I took a backpack with a change of clothes, candy, Gameboy and magazines on with me with no problem.
what does it matter that he's black?
Old 05-27-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd take a baseball bat to a fight... oh wait.
Old 05-27-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, for starters, don't take 9lbs of weed with you. It tends to get attention.
Old 05-27-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, for starters, don't take 9lbs of weed with you. It tends to get attention.
You greatly overestimate the competence of the TSA.
Old 05-27-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No lighters, but you can bring four packs of matches with you.

Oddly enough though, it was matches that the shoe bomber was trying to use to light the fuse on his shoes, not a lighter...

If you're worried about shoes, just wear sandals for the trip. Most of the time they won't make you take those off. But, of course, it depends what airport you're flying out of.

Last year when I went to Massachusetts, I had a broken foot and a big plastic and metal cast-boot on. I had to check in at Sacramento, Chicago, Dallas, and Boston during the whole duration of the trip. The only one that made me take off my boot (which was *full* of metal parts) was Chicago.

Just don't bring anything sharp or stabby...
Old 05-27-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Just don't bring anything sharp or stabby...
Great. So much for casual reading of Playboy while on the flight.
Old 05-27-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
what does it matter that he's black?
It appears to be Trigger's goal in life to identify every instance of racial profiling in the Other forum.
Old 05-27-05, 08:46 PM

I just flew on Tuesday and had a disposable razor in my carry on. Didn't have any problems. That's not to say it's not allowed .. I am not sure about that one.
Old 05-27-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

disposable razors are allowed
straight razors are not

every airline has prohibited item listed posted clearly on their webpage

which airline are you flying?
Old 05-27-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk God

here is your official tsa list of prohibited vs permitted items

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...16_2005_v3.pdf
Old 05-27-05, 09:37 PM
Suspended

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT TAKE A LIGHTER ON THE PLANE, those bastard will take it from you. I had a light my grandaddy gave me worth alot and that screener guy took it and then I saw him doing tricks with it and he was probably lighting his barbeque when he got home that night all on my dime.
Old 05-28-05, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
Bring an Evian bottle filled with vodka.
When I went to China one and a half year ago I brought a bottle of mineral water and the airport officer ask me to drink it in case it's something else inside the bottle
Old 05-28-05, 08:01 AM

just bring back pack with changing clothes inside buy to the nearest store all the things you needed personally if metal is prohibited to carry such as razor
Old 05-28-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eedoon
When I went to China one and a half year ago I brought a bottle of mineral water and the airport officer ask me to drink it in case it's something else inside the bottle
I couldn't tell if your laughter was one of "boy are things radiculous with the new terror stuff". I was often asked to drink a beverage at the checkpoint years before '9-11', in '98 when I was flying frequently between Austin and Boise, Idaho.

I always tried to bring bottled water to avoid dehydrating on the long flight. However, the highly caffeinated iced Starbucks beverage I usually bought with a Cinnabon in the layover in SLC probably defeated that purpose.

I figured it was just part of a discouragement of outside food/drink to raise revenue for the airport vendors.
Old 05-28-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wooderson
DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT TAKE A LIGHTER ON THE PLANE, those bastard will take it from you. I had a light my grandaddy gave me worth alot and that screener guy took it and then I saw him doing tricks with it and he was probably lighting his barbeque when he got home that night all on my dime.
Ooh taht sucks. In certain airports (and soon to be every airport) like MSP, DFW to name a couple, they have kiosks set up where if you have something illegal they let you bag it and sent back to your home for a fee, so you don't get screwed like that anymore.

I can't beleive no one's mentioned to bring his portable dvd or laptop with him to watch movies. I just got back from Cali, last week and boy was that a lifesaver.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.