Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Independent Contractors - Billing Time for Travel

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-26-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to fly to Cali to manage a training course next month, and since I've been on this hourly pay/contract basis, I haven't traveled. I'll be at the site for 40 hours (or so), but do I bill my time at the airport and on the plane, or is it enough that they are reimbursing those expenses?

Melba doesn't want me to ask my manager in charge as she thinks I met get hosed with their answer (she says this as a former recruiter).

Anyone have any tips/hints? And can I expense a prostitute as entertianment if it's just me and her, or do I have to invite a co-worker?
Old 05-26-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use to be in a similar situation and I could get hourly or mileage to/from the airport. Air time was not paid.

Sonic
Old 05-26-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he works while he is on the plane though, that's billable. Sleepy, get our laptop out while you're on the plane and billl 'em for that.
Old 05-26-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK - I'll look up hookers for my entertainment while I'm on the plane.
Old 05-26-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't you just find someone in a bar or something? Hookers are nasty.

Hey I know! Lets talk to eachother in a thread...
Old 05-26-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

only if you are actually working....travel time isn't billable...that's what mileage/expense per diems are for.
Old 05-26-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
only if you are actually working....travel time isn't billable...that's what mileage/expense per diems are for.
It can be billable, depends on who is paying and how much they want you there, and how you bill it (whether you separate it out as travel time, or you just lump your travel time in with your on-site hours).

If you are billing on a per hour basis, check with whoever is paying you and just ask them. If you are on a contract, or per job basis, then it would be included with the lump sum.
Old 05-27-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to ask but Melba won't let me.
Old 05-27-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

independant contractors? I hope no Rebels are around...
Old 05-27-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Most that I have used that have to travel, bill for "travel time" which is about half of their normal hourly wage. But they also pay their own way for travel.
Old 05-27-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably bill my travel time. I have a lot of colleagues that only travel during business hours, because personal time is personal time.
Old 05-27-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a consultant, and when I used to travel I would bill the travel time if it took place during business hours. My suggestion is to read your contract and see if it is specified. If not, do some work on the plane and bill it.
Old 05-27-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
It can be billable, depends on who is paying and how much they want you there, and how you bill it (whether you separate it out as travel time, or you just lump your travel time in with your on-site hours).

If you are billing on a per hour basis, check with whoever is paying you and just ask them. If you are on a contract, or per job basis, then it would be included with the lump sum.
I agree. I'm a contractor, although not independent. My company bills for travel time regardless of whether or not it occurs during business hours. Of course, they have specified that in the contract.
Old 05-27-05, 10:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I'd bill it. I'm part of an outsourcing group, and we charge travel time to whatever project it involves.
Old 05-27-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure you can't bill for time travel.
Old 05-27-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm pretty sure you can't bill for time travel.
Why not?
Old 05-27-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Why not?
Every company knows you can just throw some junk in your Mr. Fusion to power the flux capacitor. Duh.
Old 05-27-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shite. You guys are no help. And I can't even get an answer to my hooker question.
Old 05-27-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SleepyW
Shite. You guys are no help. And I can't even get an answer to my hooker question.
Is it a time-traveling hooker? Then definitely not.
Old 05-27-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whenever I work my job and it involves travel-every minute counts. I reasoned that if I wasn't traveling I could be doing something I enjoy so it counts as work. They agreed.

If I do freelance I usually figure the travel into my rate. I've heard of some places offering half time pay or just mileage. No thanks!
Old 05-27-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Whenever I work my job and it involves travel-every minute counts. I reasoned that if I wasn't traveling I could be doing something I enjoy so it counts as work. They agreed.
Exactly. It also depends on the scope and pricetag on the project as well. If you're doing one off jobs for the company, then I may charge them for travel time, but if it was a multi-year contract I'd think twice about it.
Old 05-27-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My contract is essentially that I bill for the time I work, even if that means I only owrk for 2 hours that week. I see the arguent saying that since they're paying for the airfare, I can't bill them again for that time, but I also see Buford's point that, in my case, it's an entire Sunday I have to spend flying and driving to get to point B.

I'll check my statement of work/contract, but I don't recall it being covered. But this is a HUGE company that employs hundreds of contractors, so they may already have a policy on it - I just don't know where it is and am afraid to bring it to anyone's attention should they more closely audit my time sheet in this case.
Old 05-27-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it depends on your contract. I bill for travel time plus mileage plus expenses. Of course, I am an employee and not an independent contractor, but I would think your contract would specify whether or not travel time is billable.