Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Please explain Scientology

Old 05-26-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please explain Scientology

Can someone please explain scientology to me.

I've tried looking at a few books and they were filled with technotalk.

Let's try not to spend this particular thread tearing it apart.

Tom Cruise is always talking about how he has these techniques that help him become successful.

Does anyone know anything specific about these tools?
Old 05-26-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Basically your body is polluted by thetans. Therapy will get rid of them. Therapy costs money. Thetans are now gone.

Aside from needing money to get cured, the actual stuff isn't much different than the fluff of the Dali Lama.
Old 05-26-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kvrdave...gone on that's interesting.

So - how do you achieve your goals through scientology?
Old 05-26-05, 07:25 PM

http://www.xenu.net/archive/leaflet/xenuleaf.htm
Old 05-26-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kube
Kvrdave...gone on that's interesting.

So - how do you achieve your goals through scientology?
Positive thinking which is basically brought about by the joy of being rid of thetans. In the words of Ms. John Travolta, "Scientology Rocks!"

But don't knock on the door if you don't have money, and plenty of it.
Old 05-26-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"I bet you I could start a religion and make a million dollars".

I think that one phrase explains Scientology quite nicely. Shit, if "The Force" and "Jedi" can be become a religion, then why not Scientology? Come up with a crazy enough idea and if you get enough people willing to spread the word, then over time it will become accepted by people as being valid.

While I can't vouch for the authenticity of the information, I like this article (purportedly) from the LA Times in 1985.

SCIENTOLOGISTS SCRAMBLE TO KEEP SECRETS
Los Angeles

Documents obtained by the Los Angeles Times show that the members of the Church of Scientology believe that mankind's ills were caused by an evil ruler named Xemu who lived 75 million years ago.

Scientologists have been trying to prevent the release of the documents, which they consider secret and sacred, and about 1500 church members crammed three floors of the Los Angeles County Courthouse on Monday, effectively blocking public access to documents.

Nevertheless, the Los Angeles Times had already obtained access to the documents, which were submitted as part of a civil case brought by former Scientologist Larry Wollersheim, before lawyers for the Scientologists requested they be sealed.

Wollersheim charges that the organization defrauded him by promising him higher intelligence and greater business success through Scientology courses that cost thousands of dollars.

In arguing to keep the court documents sealed, the church has told its members that it could be physically and spiritually harmful for them to learn about the upper levels of Scientology before they have mastered the preparatory courses. Scientology attorneys have argued that disclosure of the material violates the group's religous freedom.

Scientology is widely known for its use of "auditing", a form of one-to-one counselling in which a lie-detector-like instrument called an E-meter is used to help a person erase negative experiences, supposedly freeing him to achieve his full potential.

The group bases its beliefs on the writings of L. Ron Hubbard, the reclusive science-fiction author who in the early 1950's published the best-seller "Dianetics: the Modern Science of Mental Health."

What is rarely discussed, however, is Hubbard's secret teachings, which disclose his thoughts on why mankind has been plagued by problems through history, the topic of the disputed documents.

Generally, the documents suggest that a major cause of mankind's problems began 75 million years ago, when the planet Earth, then called Teegeeach, was part of a confederation of 90 planets under the leadership of a tyrannical ruler named Xemu. Then, as now, the materials state, the chief problem was overpopulation.

Xemu, the documents state, decided to take radical measures to overcome the overpopulation problem. Beings were captured on Earth and on other planets and flown to at least 10 volcanoes on Earth.

The documents state that H-bombs far more powerful than any in existence today were dropped on the volcanoes, destroying the people but freeing their spirits, called "thetans," which attached themselves to one another in clusters.

After the nuclear explosions, according to the documents, the thetans were trapped in a compound of frozen alcohol and glycol and, during a 36-day period, Xemu "implanted" in them the seeds of aberrant behavior for generations to come. When people die, those clusters attach to to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves.

Before a Scientologist can learn about thetans and how to eradicate them, he must go through a progression of costly programs.

For hours on Monday, Scientologists swamped workers in the clerk's office with hundreds of requests to photocopy the documents.

Superior Court Judge Alfred L. Margolis, over strong objections, had issued an order Friday making the documents public at 9 a.m. Monday - on a first-come, first-served basis.

Scientologists, by snaking the line through three courthouse hallways, made sure that they were the only ones to buy copies of the materials.

Shortly before noon, Margolis, at the request of Scientology lawyers, resealed the materials, pending a hearing later this week.

Jeff Pomerantz, a Scientology spokesman, said the strategy was intended to "keep the materials secure ... Religion is not supposed to be disseminated from the courtroom."
Old 05-26-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was confused by it, too. Then I hit myself in the head with a hammer. Twice. Much clearer now...
Old 05-26-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I always thought the upper "levels" of scientology were kept top secret... and that to get to the upper levels, it took increasing levels of monetary donations. This is all taken from various television programs, and there does seem to be some shroud of secrecy that is rarely broken.

Various sources have also linked the higher teaching to some alien life form or something...
Old 05-26-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-26-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The real question is... did Katie Holmes convert because of Tom Cruise? Is Kidman still a Scientologist even after her marriage is over?
Old 05-26-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't believe Kidman was ever a Scientologist. Supposedly, Cruise's ardent following of Scientology was one of the key ingredients to their divorce. Who the hell really knows...

All I know is that poor people (i.e. those not in the upper class) need not apply.
Old 05-26-05, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, I always thought the upper "levels" of scientology were kept top secret... and that to get to the upper levels, it took increasing levels of monetary donations. This is all taken from various television programs, and there does seem to be some shroud of secrecy that is rarely broken.

Various sources have also linked the higher teaching to some alien life form or something...
This sounds like the Free Masons. They have 15 levels, and once you get to the top level, they tell you they are really worshiping satan.
Old 05-26-05, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
what i've learned from you tonight: Freemasons, scientologists, and Wiccans worship satan?
Who do the satanists worship?
Old 05-26-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveCole
Who do the satanists worship?
That's really funny, because from what I've heard, not Satan. (I think the Church of Satan mostly about being hedonistic--anyone know for sure?)
Old 05-26-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That70sGuy
This sounds like the Free Masons. They have 15 levels, and once you get to the top level, they tell you they are really worshiping satan.
That can't be true. They do community service.

But maybe its really EVIL community service!
Old 05-26-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone please explain scientology to me.
That's easy!!
Old 05-26-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does that machine get ride of the negative memories...is it through a series of electronic impulses...or is there a form of therapy (although they wouldn't call it that.)
Old 05-26-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by That70sGuy
Is that true?
Old 05-26-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Is that true?
Yes. Yes it is.

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Jackson and all the founders of your country were really all Satanists. And they've branded YOU, Fincher Fan, with the American dollar bill.

That's the running joke that's been going 200 years and now you've gone and given it away. You HAD to go and spoil it, didn't you?

Of course, we're going to have to shoot you now, because you know too much.

Old 05-27-05, 12:42 AM
Banned

email the airhead Jenna Elfman and ask her
Old 05-27-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's only worth 3 units because there's no lab.
Old 05-27-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk God

How does that machine get ride of the negative memories...is it through a series of electronic impulses...or is there a form of therapy (although they wouldn't call it that.)
brainwashing.

"Do you still have those memories, or do you need another electo therapy session?"
Old 05-27-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Yes. Yes it is.

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Jackson and all the founders of your country were really all Satanists. And they've branded YOU, Fincher Fan, with the American dollar bill.

That's the running joke that's been going 200 years and now you've gone and given it away. You HAD to go and spoil it, didn't you?

Of course, we're going to have to shoot you now, because you know too much.

Absolutely. And it is all because of the Great Snub. Fnord.
Old 05-27-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to offend anyone but how can you believe a fantastical tale being told to you by a SCIENCE FICTION writer!
Old 05-27-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
May also cause really bad John Travolta space movies.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember before it came out he said that making the movie had nothing to do with his belief in scientology, but that the book was "really good sci-fi"

Also a movie site I post at had their forums flooded with postive reviews of the movie right after it came out....those wacky scientologists!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.