Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Make Brain Go Work Better! (No french fries! More Wrigley's!)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-26-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It doesn't matter how brainy you are or how much education you've had - you can still improve and expand your mind. Boosting your mental faculties doesn't have to mean studying hard or becoming a reclusive book worm. There are lots of tricks, techniques and habits, as well as changes to your lifestyle, diet and behaviour that can help you flex your grey matter and get the best out of your brain cells. And here are 11 of them.

Smart Drugs

A few drugs that might do the job, known as "cognitive enhancement", are already on the market, and a few dozen others are on the way. Perhaps the best-known is modafinil. Licensed to treat narcolepsy, the condition that causes people to suddenly fall asleep, it has notable effects in healthy people too. Modafinil can keep a person awake and alert for 90 hours straight, with none of the jitteriness and bad concentration that amphetamines or even coffee seem to produce.

Food for thought

You are what you eat, and that includes your brain. So what is the ultimate mastermind diet?

YOUR brain is the greediest organ in your body, with some quite specific dietary requirements. So it is hardly surprising that what you eat can affect how you think. If you believe the dietary supplement industry, you could become the next Einstein just by popping the right combination of pills. Look closer, however, and it isn't that simple. The savvy consumer should take talk of brain-boosting diets with a pinch of low-sodium salt. But if it is possible to eat your way to genius, it must surely be worth a try.

Nuns on a run

If you don't want senility to interfere with your old age, perhaps you should seek some sisterly guidance...

Some of the nuns have suffered from Alzheimer's disease, but many have avoided any kind of dementia or senility. They include Sister Matthia, who was mentally fit and active from her birth in 1894 to the day she died peacefully in her sleep, aged 104. She was happy and productive, knitting mittens for the poor every day until the end of her life. A post-mortem of Sister Matthia's brain revealed no signs of excessive ageing.

Full article at New Scientist
Sine me up for more brain!

Last edited by The Bus; 05-26-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sine me up for more brain!
Quick!
Old 05-26-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll cosine.
Old 05-26-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jason
I'll cosine.