Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Is flavored carbonated water healthy...

Old 05-26-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is flavored carbonated water healthy...

Lately I have been drinking a lot of carbonated water. I buy five or six liter bottles from the store every time I go. I am not a big water/flavored water fan but I really like the carbonated stuff. I actually get sick to my stomach if I drink more than a few sips of regular water. I have vomited more than once just from drinking water. I want to know what’s the real difference besides a little flavor. Am I crazy or could I get away with drinking the carbonated stuff without any unhealthy side effects.
Old 05-26-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go one stop up. I drink diet soda... It's pretty much the same thing, but mine has caffeine.
Old 05-26-05, 05:25 PM

Carbonation is still bad for your teeth.
Old 05-26-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would go see someone. You're not supposed to throw up if you have water.
Old 05-26-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard carbonation leeches calcium from your bones. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes me feel guilty when I drink soda.

Last edited by tasha99; 05-26-05 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
how could CO2 gas, which is in your body anyway, leech calcium or have any other effects?
Old 05-26-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
I've heard carbonation leeches calcium from your bones. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes me feel guilty when I soda.
I think you and grapejuice have been listening to too many urban legends.
Old 05-26-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drinking soda reduces the amount of calcium in your bones in one way -- if you are drinking soda in lieu of drinking milk (which is traditionally the main way one acquires calcium). The carbonation doing any actual "leeching" of existing body calcium is hogwash.
Old 05-26-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA157077/
Confused About Carbonation?

The carbonation in canned soda has been cited as detrimental to bone health. Does the natural carbonation in waters such as Perrier also pose a risk for bones?

-- Linda Hicks

I can give you a number of reasons to avoid drinking colas and other sodas but the carbonation they contain is not one of them. The notion that the carbonation in sodas is bad for bones comes from studies performed in the early 1990s which suggested that drinking carbonated beverages, specifically colas, raises the risk of bone fractures among adolescent girls and older women (former college athletes). No such association was found for non-cola drinks. The researchers also found that a high intake of calcium was protective.

A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (September 2001) looked at the question of whether carbonated beverages increase urinary excretion of calcium. If so, this effect might provide a plausible link between consumption of carbonated beverages and an increased risk of fractures.

Researchers from the Osteoporosis Research Center at Creighton University found that excess urinary excretion of calcium occurred only when the carbonated beverages consumed contained caffeine. At least one earlier study had suggested that caffeine consumption can have a deleterious effect on bone health if not counteracted by sufficient calcium. The Creighton researchers found that the caffeine effect they saw was balanced by less excretion of calcium later in the day so that the net result was only a negligible loss of calcium. This led them to conclude that any effect on bone associated with carbonated drinks would stem from lowered calcium intake due to displacement of milk as a beverage. Incidentally, this study was sponsored by the dairy industry, which would have had an interest in the opposite result.

I wouldn’t worry about the carbonation in sodas. My concerns about consumption of soft drinks focus more on the unhealthy amounts of sugar, artificial sweeteners and caffeine they contain. The carbonation itself is not a problem, and Perrier and other carbonated mineral waters are perfectly safe.

Andrew Weil, M.D

Last edited by HistoryProf; 05-26-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard carbonation leeches calcium from your bones. Not sure if that's true or not, but it makes me feel guilty when I soda.

That's what the people at the health fair I went to recently said. They were providing free tests. All the women could get their bone density tested. I think carbonation leeching calcium is BS personally.
Old 05-26-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whew, am I relieved. I drink a Diet Coke every morning, sometimes two.
Old 05-26-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two other facctoids:

Carbonated water is actually safer to drink than regular water because the corbonating process kills bacteria....not that water is a danger mind you....

Carbonation helps to speed the absorption of alchohol into your blood stream!!
Old 05-26-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Drinking soda reduces the amount of calcium in your bones in one way -- if you are drinking soda in lieu of drinking milk (which is traditionally the main way one acquires calcium). The carbonation doing any actual "leeching" of existing body calcium is hogwash.
so sayeth the dairy industry (see the post of mine below yours)
Old 05-26-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I drink soda and milk!
Old 05-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-26-05, 06:22 PM

I never said it was bad for your bones. I said it was bad for you teeth. Carbonated drinks are acidic...which attack tooth enamel.
Old 05-26-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I drink soda and milk!
Mmmm. Carbonated milk. It's the best way to get both mucussy and gaseous.
Old 05-26-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the water that makes you throw up tap water, and is it brown?
Old 05-26-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grapejuice12
I never said it was bad for your bones. I said it was bad for you teeth. Carbonated drinks are acidic...which attack tooth enamel.
I think that the sugar in Koolaid is worst for you than the carbonation in diet soda.
Old 05-26-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by karnblack
Is the water that makes you throw up tap water, and is it brown?
no.. It's any water even bottled. I don't get it I can drink tea but not plain water. I once was a the doctors and they made me drink a glass of water. I threw up all over the nurse.
Old 05-26-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's incredibly messed up.
Old 05-26-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carbonation is still bad for your teeth.
That's what my dentist told me yesterday.
Old 05-26-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not according to Snopes:
The rest of the claims offered here are specious. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
Old 05-26-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's true. If you drink lots of soda, you should add more calcium.

There are more chemicals in the flavored water, it's not just pure water... so it's like drinking a soda.
Old 05-26-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
no.. It's any water even bottled. I don't get it I can drink tea but not plain water. I once was a the doctors and they made me drink a glass of water. I threw up all over the nurse.
That sounds more psychological than physical to me. Have you ever been to see a doctor about it, MD or otherwise? If you couldn't take water, you couldn't take any kind of food at all, as water is in everything you eat.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.