Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Arggg!!! My friggin dog is driving my nuts!

Old 05-26-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Arggg!!! My friggin dog is driving my nuts!

Ok.. We got a dog about 2 years ago. He's basically the cutest and best dog in the whole wide world so don't be bringin me not crap like your dog is better..

Anywho, we adopted him from PetLand (he was just on display there. It was one of those animal rescue places that actually put him there). When we got him they said he was "crate trained" (won't go poo poo or pee pee in his cage). We believed that for some reason (not thinking that all he does is poop and pee in the store inside his cage).

Me being the animal lover that I am I hated to put him in his cage when we went to work. But the wife insisted so he went in the cage (for the first couple months). I go home for lunch everyday so I would end up cleaning the poop and pee out of his "crate trained" cage and giving him a bath. This lasted for about a month I think. Anywho, he eventually "somewhat" caught on and we started leaving him out of his cage when we left.

Well as much things as we have tried to get him to know he's not supposed to go inside he still does ALL THE TIME. Now there are good weeks and not so good weeks but it's usually at least once a week. Now it doesn't bother me that much if it's poop because that's an easy clean.. But lately he's starting to pee and that TOTALLY SUCKS. We had pretty new carpeting when we moved in and he managed to break it in pretty well with pee spots.

I guess after all the rambling I'm wondering two things:

1. Does anyone know any good things that remove urine from carpet?

2. What do you do to try and potty train a pet that is about 3 years old (please don't say put him in the cage because I will not ).

Old 05-26-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Take the steering wheel out of your pants.
Old 05-26-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Paging kvrdave... kvrdave, please report to thread 424285.
Old 05-26-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For cleaning, you need some kind of enzymatic cleaner. Nothing else will completely remove the urine. There are tons of different brands, but it all works the same.
Old 05-26-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You think you have problems?

My five year-old black lab poops and pees in the house, guaranteed 4-5 times per week (I come home to let her out in the middle of my day, I'm either coming home to messes at that time or when I'm done with work).

I use Nature's Miracle to clean, I find it does the best job.

She's been to the vet, I've tried everything. It has to be seperation anxiety, but not even the medication took care of it. She now has a small room in the back just off the garage all to her own while I'm at work. The floor is completely covered in tarp. I've just learned to live with it.

But if somebody has some miracle cure, I'm all ears. (other than the kvrdave "nuclear option" )
Old 05-26-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does he get walked at regular intervals? If he can rely on consistent walks maybe he'll chill on the crate use?
Old 05-26-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
It has to be seperation anxiety
Yea, he definately has this...

And no, I don't want to shoot him..
Old 05-26-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Does he get walked at regular intervals? If he can rely on consistent walks maybe he'll chill on the crate use?
Well he doesn't get walked regularly but we do walk him when it's nice outside.

We do however:

Let him out twice in the morning (around 7:30) then I come home and let him out at lunch (around 12:00) and we get home around 5:00...

It's always there for me when I get home for lunch.
Old 05-26-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Take the steering wheel out of your pants.
Old 05-26-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about a fenced area in the back yard? You know, with a dog house and all for shelter. He can stay outside and get some fresh air while you're gone, just hose off the concrete to clean it, it's all good.
Old 05-26-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Well he doesn't get walked regularly but we do walk him when it's nice outside.

We do however:

Let him out twice in the morning (around 7:30) then I come home and let him out at lunch (around 12:00) and we get home around 5:00...

It's always there for me when I get home for lunch.
Hmmm... that should be enough times. My dog goes out at about 8am, then around 4pm and then 10-11pm, more or less.

Your dog is basically not housetrained. Find a good trainer near you. Not some class with clickers and stuff, but rather a one-on-one old school trainer who will come to your house and deal with you and your dog. They should be able to help.
Old 05-26-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PrincessT
What about a fenced area in the back yard? You know, with a dog house and all for shelter. He can stay outside and get some fresh air while you're gone, just hose off the concrete to clean it, it's all good.
It isn't all good when your dog also barks at everything that moves. I'm sure I'd have all kinds of police contact if I were to take that suggestion.
Old 05-26-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds good but he's the biggest wuss I've ever seen. He shakes like a leaf even when it's raining out. It's sad but true..

So this would work probably about 5 months out of the year because we live in northeast Ohio.. Weather SUCKS here.
Old 05-26-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424263
Old 05-26-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Hmmm... that should be enough times. My dog goes out at about 8am, then around 4pm and then 10-11pm, more or less.

Your dog is basically not housetrained. Find a good trainer near you. Not some class with clickers and stuff, but rather a one-on-one old school trainer who will come to your house and deal with you and your dog. They should be able to help.
Yea, it is enough times.. I definately think it's seperation anxiety though. I totally forgot about that when I posted.

So now my most prudent question is how to I get pee out of the carpet..
Old 05-26-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I definately didn't need to see that... I stopped reading it after the first sentence.. I dont' know how people could do such things to animals.

Our dog was supposedly abused as well. We think that is why he's scared of his own shadow. He didn't bark for the first month.
Old 05-26-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
When a pirate has a steering wheel in his pants, he says, "It's driving me nuts!"

As for the dog, regular beatings with a bicycle chain should do the trick.
Old 05-26-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone mentioned Nature's Miracle. It is good stuff. If the stain is deep, then apply the Nature's Miracle and put plastic over it so it will stay wet longer and have more time to work.

Since he can't be outside, then I think you should hire a trainer, just like Gil suggested. Make a tarp room or a tiled room for him at the very least. Though keeping him in one room may feel just as bad on you as crating him.

He's lucky to be with you--just keep being patient, you'll find a solution.
Old 05-26-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
It's all about training.

And yes, you will have a tough time at this point, because the dog THINKS he is trained.

The important thing is that dogs WANT to please. And your dog doesn't understand what he is doing wrong.

As someone said, a professional trainer can evaluate your situation and decide how to retrain the dog.

If you want an unsophisticated opinion, here is mine:

the dog simply doesn't know or understand where it is supposed to go. Whenever you can, give PROFUSE praise when it goes outside - sounds like that will be easy, since you take the dog outside.

When you find the inside result - do not mention it to the dog, do not scold the dog, do not show it to the dog - just clean it up. In fact, try to make sure the dog doesn't even see you pay attention to the poop/pee.

Why? Because dogs crave negative attention almost as much as positive attention, especially if they aren't getting enough attention. So, scolding the dog, or showing the dog you are paying attention to its inside activities will encourage the dog to do more.

So, praise anything outside - ignore or don't let the dog see what you are doing inside.

That should fix it some - the dog will begin holding it (I hope) to enable it to get positive praise when you come home.
Old 05-26-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when he does go to the bathroom outside, give your dog lots of praise and attention. don't rub his nose in his mess when he goes inside the house.

as for my dog, I don't know how he picked up this trick but when ever he wants to go outside he uses his nose to make the wooden blinds bang on the door.

Last edited by bigsoos; 05-26-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seeker
It's all about training.

And yes, you will have a tough time at this point, because the dog THINKS he is trained.

The important thing is that dogs WANT to please. And your dog doesn't understand what he is doing wrong.

As someone said, a professional trainer can evaluate your situation and decide how to retrain the dog.

If you want an unsophisticated opinion, here is mine:

the dog simply doesn't know or understand where it is supposed to go. Whenever you can, give PROFUSE praise when it goes outside - sounds like that will be easy, since you take the dog outside.

When you find the inside result - do not mention it to the dog, do not scold the dog, do not show it to the dog - just clean it up. In fact, try to make sure the dog doesn't even see you pay attention to the poop/pee.

Why? Because dogs crave negative attention almost as much as positive attention, especially if they aren't getting enough attention. So, scolding the dog, or showing the dog you are paying attention to its inside activities will encourage the dog to do more.

So, praise anything outside - ignore or don't let the dog see what you are doing inside.

That should fix it some - the dog will begin holding it (I hope) to enable it to get positive praise when you come home.
Exactly what I've been doing for 4 years. Hasn't helped any. Hope it does for the OP though.
Old 05-26-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
When a pirate has a steering wheel in his pants, he says, "It's driving me nuts!"
Never heard that one...
Old 05-26-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

First you have to break their will. Then they will be stupid and happy no matter what you do to them.

Old 05-26-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone mentioned Nature's Miracle. It is good stuff. If the stain is deep, then apply the Nature's Miracle and put plastic over it so it will stay wet longer and have more time to work.
Is this sold just in petstores or is it pretty much sold anywhere (Wal Mart, grocery stores, etc)?
Old 05-26-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes they ust have issues. I had a beagle that did it too, now she is on meds for ADD and doesn't have accidents anymore. Might be somthing to look into.

As far as the urine smell, it's likey to have gotten down into the pads of your capet and to the floorboards underneath, so in that case, you're stuck with it unless you want to have the pad replaced.

Good luck! Your dog looks absolutely adorable!! I'd love him too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.