Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you feel safe where you live?
I feel very safe
51.14%
I feel mostly safe
36.36%
It's safe during the day - not such much at night
6.82%
It's more unsafe than safe
3.41%
I LIVE IN HELL!
2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Is it safe where you live?

Old 05-26-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Is it safe where you live?

It's pretty safe where I live. I mean.. can go out at night and walk around and not really have anything to worry about. There is some grafitti that pops up now and then, not sure if it's stupid kids or gangs.. but i've never actually seen them. Crime is quite low for the amount of people we have crammed into the area.
Old 05-26-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah........
Old 05-26-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My town is super safe...even though we are 8 miles outside NYC and 4 miles from Newark.

The cops are like border patrol...and if you dont look like you belong there, they will pull you over and make sure you do.
Old 05-26-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Usually it is pretty safe around here, but there was a quadruple murder about a week ago.
Old 05-26-05, 10:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I'm in a very safe suburb of Philly.
Old 05-26-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
My town is super safe...even though we are 8 miles outside NYC and 4 miles from Newark.

The cops are like border patrol...and if you dont look like you belong there, they will pull you over and make sure you do.

Nothing like a little police harassment to keep crime low.
Old 05-26-05, 10:37 AM

Is it safe?

Actually, my neighborhood, being half student ghetto and half run-of-the-mill ghetto, isn't very safe at all.
Old 05-26-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is no way I'm answering that question. I've got good kharma so far. I don't want tempt the fates.
Old 05-26-05, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lemdog
Usually it is pretty safe around here, but there was a quadruple murder about a week ago.
A quadruple murder which took place about four blocks from my old apartment...
Old 05-26-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My neighborhood is safe if you are a person. My driveway apparently is very very unsafe for 1998 Acura Integra's.
Old 05-26-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tcoursen
My neighborhood is safe if you are a person. My driveway apparently is very very unsafe for 1998 Acura Integra's.
Ahahahah! Same here. My downstairs neighbor had her's stolen a month ago.

I'd say it's quite safe here for a city of 4 million people. You can walk downtown at 1:00 AM without being hassled. I think we have about 40 murders a year on average.
Old 05-26-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

i have a better chance of getting attacked by a snake, than a person
Old 05-26-05, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Ya my city is hella safe. I would have a better chance of aliens probing me than getting jacked up in my town......
Old 05-26-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

very safe here.
Old 05-26-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My town is very safe.
Old 05-26-05, 12:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i live in ventura california, which is an hour north of LA, sorta a hippie, blue collar beach town. I feel very safe, if it wasn't for all the wierd tweakers running around. I've had so many run ins with the strangest of fucking people, just stoned out of their mind.

Also, I live next door to an elementary school. My roomates and I checked out the california sex offender list on the internet and we have a suprising amount of sex predators living around here.

but like i said, i feel mostly safe.
Old 05-26-05, 01:10 PM

I just moved into an apartment in Glendale, CA in February of this year. There are 13 other apartment units in our complex and I feel safer now than when I was living in my childhood home in Los Angeles (Atwater Village) during most of my life. The reason?

There are people around that keep an eye on things around the complex, compared to living in a house way in the back of the yard, where no one and I mean no one can hear you scream.

So now I can have the front and back doors open until real late, with the security screen door closed. And if anybody attacks me, everybody will hear me screaming like a little girl.

Chris
Old 05-26-05, 01:14 PM
Banned

Safe enough in San Franfrisko if you do not wander into the Mission District, Tenderloin, or Hunters Point at night.
Old 05-26-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that safe. I'm surrounded by some very iffy neighborhoods. Gentrification is the word. Yesterday I opened my front and back door to air out some cooked food from earlier (damn turkey meat), but I didn't feel safe leaving them open for more than five minutes.
Old 05-26-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a park on 2 sides, a creek on the 1 side, and the ghetto on the other. the Cul-de sac I am is very clean and quiet though. I am more afraid of the mosquitos from the creek than anything else. But the ghetto on my side isnt as ghetto as the ghetto on the other side of the creek which isn't as ghetto as the ghetto on the other side of the freeway so my ghetto aint that ghetto to begin with. Until I got here.
Old 05-26-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Safe enough. I live in a dead-end street and a state trooper lives in the entrance. That I know of, there's been no problems here. My parents neighborhood is even safer. They honestly have at least 4 cops on their street, which has about 40 houses. There's been one break-in in the last 15 years.

About a half mile down the road, the liquor store was robbed/held-up last year. And in town (the college town), there's been a rash of break-ins, plus a student was raped, beaten, thrown and tied into her tub, then burned to death.
Old 05-26-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where I live isn't all that safe...it is commonly referred to as "the ghetto". A couple weeks ago a guy was murdered about 25 feet from the entrance to my apartment building by 4 guys with machetes and a baseball bat.

There have been a few other disgusting acts of violence...so, I really don't feel safe here.
Old 05-26-05, 02:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its not too bad, but there are idiots everywhere.
Old 05-26-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel pretty safe. I don't know what the crime statistics are for my neighborhood... I used to read the crime reports in my local paper, but don't get the local paper anymore -- most were theft.

I'd feel very safe walking during the day and moderately safe walking at night...

With that said... I hate my neighborhood.
Old 05-26-05, 03:11 PM
Spp
Cool New Member

I used to live in a suburb where I felt very safe. Now that I have moved into the big city, I still feel very safe but I know I shouldn't because the borough here is pretty poor and has the unfortunate reputation of being one of the most violent in the city. Still, I don't hesitate to go outside at night. Guess I will when something will somehow happen to me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.