Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Lawn Care - Water timers etc.

Old 05-26-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lawn Care - Water timers etc.

So last year I was going to fix up an area of my lawn but decided to hold off and just landscape the whole lawn instead. That was completed not too long ago.

I have to go away for a bit of time and do not want to trust a neighbor to water the lawn for me-or put them in that position. So I was thinking of getting one of those timers. Does anyone have experience with them and are they any good?

Also, they sell attachments that take a one hose hookup and allow you to make it into 4. Would I lose too much pressure if I did this? Last, are there sprinklers that are any good (traveling ones or multiples on one hose) from ones experiences?

Thanks...
Old 05-26-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Running 4 sprinklers would be a little much. 2 might be ok.. You could just buy 2 or 3 timers to run the multiple sprinklers.
Old 05-26-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is the timer I have.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden

I really like it. It outlasted my Melnor. The Melnor's would brake every year. I need to fix it however because it leaks. I think I just need a new washer...
Old 05-26-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know you can buy cheap impact sprinklers with an inlet and an outlet, so you could run several in series.

As for traveling, I have the Melnor "rain train" which is the yellow tractor looking thing. I works decently. I believe the local Menards is clearancing the ones that loot like CAT bulldozers. You need to make sure you have the larger daimeter hose (5/8") or sometimes it comes off on the turns. You would also need a lot of hose for a large yard.

Check out melnor.com, that have some dual zone timers, and sprinklers you can link.

Last edited by jon-w9; 05-26-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 10:26 AM
Cool New Member

At my old place, I used the hose hook up hoses and sprinklers. I used four myself, and they worked fine. I also got a cheap timer, so that I could just wind it and it would go for however long, but there are better ones that you can set up to go for a certain amount of time each day. As an inexpensive alternative, it'll work. Of course, in the long run, a real sprinkler system is always better for doing multiple zones.
Old 05-26-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So it sounds like it can work out.

Not sure if I want to try the rain train. Saw it on the Home Depot web site. I'd have to figure out how much hose I would need or get a multi zone sprinkler (or whatever you would call it). Well I will go with this in mind and try out Friday through the weekend to see what works and doesn't.