Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Car Problems, time to get new car, need recommendations

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-25-05, 04:27 PM

So I bought a 2002 Audi A4 last year with about 45,000 miles on it. In the past year alone I've had to put over $2000 on little repairs here and there for stuff and just now have found out that I'll have to throw another $1200 at least into the car to get the computer put back to factory default. It's got a code 16985 - Internal Control Unit Module error message and the ECU needs to be replaced. Soo, I'm thinking I might sell the car once I get it fixed up cause I'm kind of frustrated with all the repairs I've had to make on it. It's a great car and I love driving it, but I think I'd rather have something a little more reliable right now. Anyone wanna recommmend a good, low service needed car? I owned a Toyota Celica previously and had no problems with that. In the 4 years I had that car, I put probably $2000 into it for all it's repairs. I was looking at Toyota's again as well as Acuras and maybe Hondas. Price range is up to low-$20s. THanks, appreciate any recommendations.
Old 05-25-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Boy29
I was looking at Toyota's again as well as Acuras and Hondas.

You said it all right there. FInd one of the above in your price range and go for it.
Old 05-25-05, 04:58 PM

I won't tell you my first car -- too embarassing, hehe. But since then I've owned a classic Mustang (money sink, but I loved her dearly!!), and three Jeeps: Wrangler, Cherokee, and currently a Grand Cherokee. Haha, that's the evolution of family life in automobile form for you. Anyways, I'll never own anything else besides a Jeep. Wonderful, durable vehicles!
Old 05-25-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Toyota Highlander and I love it. I recently got hit right in the driver side door with my kids in the car. We are all fine the paramedics and the auto shop guy said that my Toyota took the hit really well and we might have not been as lucky in a different car.
http://www.zyworld.com/abbyrose2005/car4.jpg
http://www.zyworld.com/abbyrose2005/car2.jpg
http://www.zyworld.com/abbyrose2005/car1.jpg
Old 05-25-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy with 137k miles on it. In the 4 years I've owned it I've only put $1000 in repairs on the thing.

I'm about to put another $300 on the air conditioner, but only because I'm not ready to buy a new car yet. Don't want a car payment. My baby is PAID for.

Every subaru I've owned has had over 150k miles on it and was STILL going strong at trade in time.
Old 05-25-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes,I am a subie convert as I currently own my first (but not my last). Join the subie family. Did you have the 1.8L quattro? Since you loved driving it, a WRX will fit you nicely, except you will be trading some luxury trim for better performance. Don't go back to 2wd...
Old 05-25-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn, these Toyotas and Hondas suck. Always breaking down, don't hold their resale, and barely run to 100,000 miles.

Yeah, I never hear that either. No brainer, man.
Old 05-25-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suggest a Honda Civic Hybrid 5spd. Really nice car.

Toyota Camrys are nice as well... wanna buy one from me? slightly used...
Old 05-26-05, 12:10 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Acura TSX...a lot like the Audi, but better. :-) Not that I'm bias or anything.
Old 05-26-05, 12:37 PM

Saab 92-x aero. It's basically a Subaru WRX with a longer warranty and better service. And with up to $7k in rebates right now...it ends up being cheaper than the WRX. On Cardirect.com for my location it is priced at $21,500. MSRP is a little over $26k.
Old 05-26-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a '96 BMW and have sunk a good $3000 into repairs and maintenance, everything from tires, brakes, fluids, as well as a radiator and a couple of other things. Your $2000 in Audi repairs are $1000 in any other car. It comes with the territory (expesinve European cars).

My only recommendation is to buy a used car 1 or 2 years old. No reason to pay the huge mark-up for a new car.

BTW, my car has about 150,000 miles on it and is running great. Has an issue with the radio but that's an easy and cheap fix.
Old 05-26-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
My only recommendation is to buy a used car 1 or 2 years old. No reason to pay the huge mark-up for a new car.
But I always think, why would the old owners sell their car after only 1 or 2 years? It must be because the car is giving them problems. I'm always wary of buying used cars (even though financially it makes more sense) coz it makes me feel like i'm buying somebody else's problems.
Old 05-26-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you should be able to buy a used ECU for much cheaper. check out www.car-part.com or maybe check out online audi forums like www.audizine.com or www.audiworld.com or maybe even www.vwvortex.com

shouldn't your car be under warranty? i just had my ABS unit and some airbag spring replaced under warranty on my Passat. if i didn't have the warranty, it'd be over $1500. you can also try to clear the codes with a vag 1551 or vag-com and see what happens.
Old 05-27-05, 01:19 PM

Well, good news. Finally got ahold of the company that installed the ECU chip (emails that they were sending me were getting blocked by my spam blocker). They said they've heard of this happening before and they have new software that'll fix it. Sooo, at least in the short term, I don't need to dole out $1000, which is nice. Still considering selling the car. Went and looked at Acura TSXs yesterday. Really nice car. Very similar to the Audi. Would be nice to have a new car. At least now I have a little more breathing room and don't have to drop so much up front before selling. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know if/what car I end up getting.