Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What the heck is up with large restaurant chicks???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-25-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this happen to you?

You go out with several friends to a restaurant and after the check comes and everyone puts in their portion (which invariably seems to take at least 20 minutes), the one paying (usually with their cc) invariably comes up short!

This makes no sense. Perhaps restaurants infuse the air with some special scent that confuses the problem solving part of your brain so you can't do simple addition and subtraction Maybe with the hope that you wil overpay...

Naturally noone wants to fess up to a simple error and I usually wind up ponying up the missing $ in order to use my Amazon cc.

Yeah, guess I'm a sucker

-Gunshy
Old 05-25-05, 10:28 AM

Based on the subject header, I was imagining the waiter coming out with some oversized novelty check at the end of your meal.
Old 05-25-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The group I go with is usually pretty good on putting in their fair portion. I usually put the entire tab on my card since I need the cash and don't want to run to the ATM.

Works in my favor too -- I get immediate cash and miles on my credit card. Everybody is happy.
Old 05-25-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because people rarely ever include their drink, tax and tip when they give you their "share". It's happened to me a million times. Either they're just not too bright, or they're consciously trying to rip you off. If you're really trying to be fair and accurate, YOU should tell them each how much they owe, rather than letting them calculate it.
Old 05-25-05, 10:38 AM

As a waiter this is both funny and annoying.

Its funny when there's a party and they're going over the bill and half the table has already left with just throwing a couple bucks, not nearly enough to cover their share, on the table and other half of people realize they got stiffed by thier friends.

But then you realize that the remaining people are going to be upset by having to cover for thier friends that they end up taking it out of whatever sort of tip they were going to leave you.
Old 05-25-05, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Because people rarely ever include their drink, tax and tip when they give you their "share". It's happened to me a million times. Either they're just not too bright, or they're consciously trying to rip you off. If you're really trying to be fair and accurate, YOU should tell them each how much they owe, rather than letting them calculate it.
Yeah to that. I used to go out with some co-workers that always seemed to underestimate their bill. It would piss me off, especially since when I put in my share I always round up to be on the safe side so that means I'm subsidizing these cheapskates even more.

It's especially annoying when you put in a decent amount extra for the tip and the person paying leaves a minimal tip, mainly to make up for the cheapskates who did not pony up enough to begin with.
Old 05-25-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This reminds me of a time when my wife and I went out with a bunch of my friends. Seeing as how we always got screwed by some of the guys who thought that their share was like 5 dollars on a night that included drinks, dinner, and tip we decided to have our bill seperate then the rest of the people.

Low and behold at the end of the night we were handed a bill for over $300.00. I explained to the waiter that there was some kind of mistake and he realized that he switched up the bills between my wife and I and the other group of 8 guys. Ok, no problem I thought, I would just go get my bill from my friend. Low and behold, he had already paid it, and then argued that it was the right bill. Yea, right... 8 guys drinking all night and having snacks rack up a bill totaling 32 dollars.

I ended up just having the waiter make up a new bill for me, and paid it. When I finally left the bar my friend was arguing with the staff that he had already paid the bill, and he wound not pay any more money than what the bill he was handed stated.

Got to love cheap ass friends.
Old 05-25-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Exactly correct. I've been burned on this a couple of times.
Old 05-25-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the reason I always get my bill seperate. I've never been a cheap ass and won't make up for the cheapass people that tag along.
Old 05-25-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's obvious you haven't studied bistromath.
Old 05-25-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lots of restaurants add a gratuity for large parties rather than let people choose their own tipping amount. People probably don't add the 15-20% that's added--they just look at what the menu said.
Old 05-25-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as others said above..

a lot of people think.. $14.95 for their plate, plus a buck for a soda, 2 bucks for tax and tip, whalla - $20, and they take $2 back when their soda cost $2.50, tax is $2, and tip is $3. for a total of about $23, not the $18 they put in. $5 x 5-6 people is $30 short. This is ALWAYS the case when i go out with my gf's friends.

Luckily, when i go out with my close friends, a $100 bill comes, and everyone throws in too much money and we have $150, so we take whats left over to the closest bar and shoot the change.
Old 05-25-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends on who I am with, but yes I have seen friends get totally screwed (and I have been totally screwed) in this process.

The thing it taught me was NEVER be the last one with the check

and when out in a crowd of more than 4 people, get a separate check for myself. Usually 4 people can't hide, but when you get 6, 7, 8 it gets easier for them to cheap out.
Old 05-25-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've actually had a few experiences where I've been the last one to tally up a bill amongst friends who had paid and left and been over a fairly large percentage even after tip. I guess it all boils down to who your friends are.

Last edited by Minor Threat; 05-25-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, and thumbs up to seperate checks, I'm sure we've all been screwed on the bill at one point or another.....
Old 05-25-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I've actually had a few experiences where I've been the last one to tally up a bill amongst friends who had paid and left and been over a fairly large percentage even after tip. I guess it all boils down to who your frinds are.
Yep. I've had it go both ways.

One insane night we were all so drunk nobody would take back any money. Waitress got $40 tip on an $90 bill that night. Man, I thought she was gonna cry.
Old 05-25-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We usually nowadays end up with too much. If it's a buck or two the waitstaff keeps it.

The worst was one time my ex and her friends met at a restaurant (of her choice) for her birthday. I said, "Hey, I don't really know or like these people, but I will gladly go out of my way to make it a nice time for them." So I make everyone gift bags and put small ($5) bottles of liquor in them. Also I have confetti, stickers, etc. This is for a group of about 8.

When the bill comes it's about $40 short.

Bunch of cheapskates. Glad all that is over with.
Old 05-25-05, 04:45 PM

Recently I got roped into a pre-wedding dinner with about 30 guests at a Macaronni Grill. Most people were drinking, eating large meals, desserts, coffee, etc. Since me and the g/f had just landed a few hours earlier, we just split a small dinner entree, and had drinks we already paid for at the bar. At the end of dinner, a $700 bill comes out and the host tells everyone to put up $25. So essentially $50 for the 2 of us, for a $12 meal.

Needless to say, my g/f freaked out, and we threw in a $20 (entirely too much to begin with), and told them to figure the rest out. We ALWAYS go for seperate checks when possible, because it just makes life much easier.
Old 05-25-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have seen a few places recently that show subtotals per person on the check.. that's nice.
Old 05-25-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has happened to me too often. Just recently, I ended up short about $100 for over two dinners. I suppose I should start bringing cash or start asking friends to pay their fare share. But, I hate it when I see supposed friends bickering over how much they owe. I hate asking for them to pay their fair share even more. I shouldn't have to ask, and I expect close friends to pay what they owe.
Old 05-25-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by quietsoul
This has happened to me too often. Just recently, I ended up short about $100 for over two dinners. I suppose I should start bringing cash or start asking friends to pay their fare share. But, I hate it when I see supposed friends bickering over how much they owe. I hate asking for them to pay their fair share even more. I shouldn't have to ask, and I expect close friends to pay what they owe.
A very easy way around this is to have everyone order one appetizer and everyone shares. Works in some restaurants better than others. Works extremely well at nice restaurants since they are the ones that usually have a lot of appetizers.
Old 05-25-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not the same situation, but when I go out to eat for lunch with my co-workers, we all end up putting in too much. Our last trip out to a local Thai joint the bill came out to 60 bucks.....our first attempt yielded about 90 dollars. We couldn't figure out who put in too much money, we only managed to re-appropriate 10 bucks and just gave up and left 80.
Old 05-25-05, 07:17 PM

Whenever I am out in a group seperate checks are requested simply to keep things nice and orderly. The worst that has happened to me while in a a group was at a TGIF at Opry Mills. Prior to meeting up with people I had already eatten dinner and mainly was coming along for conversation. My order consisted of a glass of water and a milkshake.. everyone else had no trouble in paying for their meals but for some reason I received that joy.

The menu did not list a price for the shake so I was mildly surprised when it came out at over four dollars but I figured oh well simply will never have one from Fridays again. I paid with a twenty at the sametime everyone else did and watched them receive their change fifteen minutes later. Another ten minutes go by and people begin to call it a night while I still have not seen the waiter with my change. I wait another five minutes before getting up to trackdown the waiter which merely results in grabbing a manager who assures me I will be attended shortly. Being as I was in no great rush but not exactly pleased at being the last one at the table by that point another few minutes go by before I see the waiter again.

Further time passes as he speaks with a co-worker before I get him to ask me what I need.. and upon bringing up the matter of my change he simply remarks: "Oh, you mean you wanted change?" I simply respond with, "I am not in the habit of tipping four-hundred percent for a milkshake." He puffs up for a moment before going off to gather my changes, taking him a mere four minutes to return.

Needless to say with being less than pleased he received no tip from me.
Old 05-25-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greg9x
Have seen a few places recently that show subtotals per person on the check.. that's nice.

A couple restaurants by me do that and it makes the whole process a lot easier. The drink+tip+tax always seems to baffle a lot of my friends.
Old 05-25-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always just add up my meal/drink, round up to an even dollar amount, and add 20%. Life's too short to spend time bickering over a few bucks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.