Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Some Questions About Train Travel in Europe

Old 05-24-05, 06:47 PM

Some Questions About Train Travel in Europe

If someone who has traveled by train often in Europe could help me answer a few questions I would be very grateful. I will be in Italy btw and have a Eurail Pass. Now, if I have a pass for a 2nd class, would I still retain the option to buy a 1st class reservation for more money? Would you reccomend reservations for all train travel? Do you only have to validate your pass once and not every time you travel on the train? What is the easiest method of obtaining reservations when you already have a pass? I've looked around and couldnt really find straight answers to these questions, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-24-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
If someone who has traveled by train often in Europe could help me answer a few questions I would be very grateful. I will be in Italy btw and have a Eurail Pass. Now, if I have a pass for a 2nd class, would I still retain the option to buy a 1st class reservation for more money?
Yes, I believe that I had that option, but never used it

Would you reccomend reservations for all train travel?
Some trains REQUIRE it (ICE in germany) but some dont...but sitting on the floor of the compartment between cars for 5 hours sucks ass, I would get a reservation. Plus, if you dont go to the ticket agent and get a printout of all your connections, the track they arrive and depart on, and the return trip info, your going to spend ALOT of precious time trying to decypher posters, timetables, and signs in a foreign language in a crowded train station.

Do you only have to validate your pass once and not every time you travel on the train?
If you have one of those '5 rides in a month' passes, the conductor will stamp your pass every day when asking for your tickets...if its in the same day as a previous train trip, he'll simply look at the stamp and give it back to you.

You do have to write the date of your first trip on the pass, but you can do it when you get to the ticket booth for your first reservation. Do you have an 'Italy only' pass?

What is the easiest method of obtaining reservations when you already have a pass?
Going to the ticket desk at the train station the day before or day of your trip is sufficient (plus the clerks face-to-face can find you quicker routes, and get you a non-stop when you thought you only had connections available). In DieBahn (Germany) the reservation was 3euro on top of the pass price.

I've looked around and couldnt really find straight answers to these questions, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Raileurope.com is pretty good.

There is really nothing better that european train travel....you get to see the country and its damn comfortable (although Ive heard that the Italian rail service is not as good as the German.)

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 05-24-05 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 07:36 PM

cool, thanks for the answers! I have a 4 Country selectpass, btw.

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 05-24-05 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Italian train service is not quite as nice as the German one. Especially ICE (and all its flavors), which is super-classy (and super-costly).

Still, all their stations are easier to use, cheaper, and more efficient than anything here in the U.S.

IMHO you don't need to upgrade to first class unless you have a deep desire to impress clients/girlfriend/others. It's all pretty much the same and not as big of a step up as first class on an airplane.

Good luck on meeting cute Italian girls.
Old 05-25-05, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus

Good luck on meeting cute Italian girls.
Any tips on this area as well.