Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone every fly Southwest Air?

Old 05-24-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone every fly Southwest Air?

I'll be flying Soutwest Air on Friday from Philly to Pittsburgh.

Do they have assigned seats? Or is it "just get on the plane find the first empty seat?"

If it's the latter, how do they decide who gets on the plane first?
Old 05-24-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there General Admission on airplanes?
Old 05-24-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a cattle call. Get there early.

When you get your ticket, it will have an A, B, or C on it. Then they usually have you line up outside the gate in your respective line. First come, first served basically.
Old 05-24-05, 01:00 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

umm... when they give you your bordering pass at the gate, you get a number (or color or something, depends on where). They load all the families, handicaps, people who need special care, etc. Then they call off groups... and yes, it's first come first serve seating.
Old 05-24-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how long of a flight is it from philly to pitts? can't be more than 30 mins
Old 05-24-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool!

Thanks guys
Old 05-24-05, 01:02 PM

go online and print your boarding pass at 12:01am on the day of your flight. You'll get boarding pass A, which is the first group, after all the families /handicapped/etc. basically as everyone said its a cattle call after that.
Old 05-24-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Southwest. It's the K-Mart of airlines.
Old 05-24-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
how long of a flight is it from philly to pitts? can't be more than 30 mins

1 hour : 20 minutes
Old 05-24-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I never knew anyone did flights like that.. I've always flown Delta so I guess that's why..
Old 05-24-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from what I've seen on Airline, you're in for a bumpy ride.

also, according to my supervisor, back in the 80s when one used to board a plane, they'd hand out beers to the passengers
Old 05-24-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you mean "from what I've seen on Airline"? What the heck is Airline?
Old 05-24-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Southwest, they are almost always cheaper then all the others without spending an hour online looking for a deal.
Old 05-24-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
What do you mean "from what I've seen on Airline"? What the heck is Airline?

reality tv show about Southwest airlines on A&E

http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/airline/
Old 05-24-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Never flown SW. They don't fly to Dulles nor National, and I can't stand flying out of BWI.
Old 05-24-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Always fly SW because of their cheap flights and pretty decent rewards plan. as others said, if you get there an hour early, you should be in group A or B. Group C you might/probably be sitting in a center seat if the flight is full and you may have to check your carry on if the over heads are full (easy and never had a problem).

Like Ktan1 said, you can print out the boarding pass online any time the day of, usually 2-3 hours ahead is fine to get in group A, but if you miss your flight (common for me on work trips, or trips leaving vegas ), or need to change it, i believe you are S.O.L. Through regular check in, you can get a refund or credit.
Old 05-24-05, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
I love Southwest. It's the K-Mart of airlines.
As long as it's not the Big Lots or Dollar General of airlines...
Old 05-24-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
reality tv show about Southwest airlines on A&E

http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/airline/
Explain... What do they do pick on Southwest? What is it about? Any good?
Old 05-24-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Explain... What do they do pick on Southwest? What is it about? Any good?

actually they're pretty fair overall. the show just deals with the day-to-day craziness of flying in general (although the fact that it's a budget airline may get better business with that respect).

here's the write up from A&E's site:

LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS ON THE WAY.

Each episode showcases the highs and lows that passengers and crew face behind the scenes of the Southwest Airlines. Follow Southwest Airlines pilots, flight attendants, and airport employees as they experience heartwarming passenger stories, occasional outbursts, weather-related anxiety and heightened security measuresall while trying to meet everyone's urgent timetable. A&E Network brings the viewer behind the counter, onto the tarmac and into cockpit for this real life series.

AIRLINE focuses on the ups and downs of passengers and Southwest's staff and crew at Los Angeles International (LAX), Chicago Midway and Baltimore/Washington International airports. Follow Southwest's staff and crew, from the customer-focused flight crews to the hard working ground crews who are often on the receiving end of a frustrated customer's wrath. America's fourth largest carrier, Southwest Airlines originated the concept of low cost, no frills travel and carries 65 million passengers every year.

watch the clips to see for yourself. It's pretty amusing and I usually don't care for reality television.
Old 05-24-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I flew Southwest pretty regularly for about a year to and from Baltimore and Raleigh-Durham. Aside from one delay, I had absolutely no problems with them (although I could have done without the "whimsical" flight crew).
Old 05-24-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I flew them extensively out of BWI for a few years...they were great. Once you get use to the 'open seating', it isn't bad at all. They probably fly 50% of the flights out of BWI, so they have alot of flight options, and it was pretty easy to bump flights back and forth (minus holiday travel). I would almost always get "A" seating through their kiosk check-in...which was test marketed at BWI. The biggest pain was security...but that was BWI, not SW's fault.

The new SW planes are NICE. The old ones are hit and miss....but that is a crapshoot. Since I always got "A", I'd usually choose seating at the front. I REALLY REALLY dislike waiting for people, so I'd deal with kids in the bulkhead area...just to get off the plane.

-pedagogue
Old 05-24-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ktan1
go online and print your boarding pass at 12:01am on the day of your flight. You'll get boarding pass A, which is the first group, after all the families /handicapped/etc. basically as everyone said its a cattle call after that.
this is the easiest way to ensure that you are in the first boarding group. for longer flights, southwest can be a pain, but overall, i would pick them over just about any other domestic carrier for customer service and on time departure/arrivals.

kms
Old 05-24-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fly SW all the time. As others have said, print out your ticket in the morning and you will be in the first group.

It is a 1st come, no-frills airline and that's fine with me,especially for short runs 3 hrs or less. Since many times I fly at the last minute, I can still sit towards the front where I like unlike assigned seating where I am screwed as to what they have left.

What I like is that it is easy to get a free flight after a certain amount of flights taken (It used to be 3-not sure they keep coming in) and it's for any place they fly to. They are also transferable which was great because I was able to get my brother here by using a freebie I had that was about to expire. For $50 you can actually extend the expiration date. Which is great if you live on the west coast and want to just add $50 for a flight that you may take to the east coast.

I can also say that I have had almost zero problems flying with them. It's cheap, the staff is usually really cool, easy to change flight dates if needed w/o some insane added cost. Only problem is that they do not fly everywhere, but they are still adding cities.

And what did one poster mean by 'bumby ride'?
Old 05-24-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flashback
And what did one poster mean by 'bumby ride'?
I mentioned 'bumping flights'....not sure if you mean me. I was flying all over the US last year for interviews, and there were a couple times I got done earlier/later than expected....and they were able to bump me to an earlier/later flight. They waived the charge (if there was one), and I didn't get stuck in the airport for any longer than I had to be there.

-pedagogue
Old 05-24-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I mentioned 'bumping flights'....not sure if you mean me. I was flying all over the US last year for interviews, and there were a couple times I got done earlier/later than expected....and they were able to bump me to an earlier/later flight. They waived the charge (if there was one), and I didn't get stuck in the airport for any longer than I had to be there.

-pedagogue
not bumping - bumpy (looked back it was Dick Grayson - "from what I've seen on Airline, you're in for a bumpy ride.")

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.