Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

installing a thermostat timer/scheduler

Old 05-24-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

installing a thermostat timer/scheduler

moved into a new house and the electronic controller for the AC/thermonstat just has heat/cool... I would like to put in a schedule/timer option.. How hard is it to install?
Old 05-24-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's real easy to do. I think there's 3 or 4 wires. I bought a digital one from walmart and installed it, it came with directions. Basically just hooking up color coded wires.

Also If u live in Austin I know the electric co. will give u one and install it for free.
Old 05-24-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. The directions are more confusing than it is just to take the old one off. Note which wires are hooked to what then switch. Should take more than 15 min. Tops.
Old 05-24-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
It's real easy to do. I think there's 3 or 4 wires. I bought a digital one from walmart and installed it, it came with directions. Basically just hooking up color coded wires.

Also If u live in Austin I know the electric co. will give u one and install it for free.

Really? Unforunately, now I am in Round Rock, but I will check
Old 05-24-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, where I live the electric company is austin energy, don't know if Round Rock has the same company, but yeah they came out and changed it for free.
Old 05-24-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Yeah, where I live the electric company is austin energy, don't know if Round Rock has the same company, but yeah they came out and changed it for free.

just called TXU and they don't do that

if i install do i need to turn off power to that part of the house or is it just a low level battery

Last edited by j123vt_99; 05-24-05 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-24-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Takes less than 20 minutes. Very easy. The one I got (RiteTemp) paid for itself after one month. It comes pre-installed with EnergyStar settings so I didn't even have to program it.

Old 05-24-05, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't mind getting one of these. I'm not sure how much I'd save as my place is fairly small, a little over 1000 sq ft, and insulated well, but I like to be able to program it if gone for a week and also I want to be able to see the humidity level. Anyone have reviews of these? I did a google and there are quite a few kinds out there. Also anyone know of a good one that isn't too expensive that would show the outside temp as well?
Old 05-24-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very easy, i did mine when i moved in also. What i did is when i opened the existing thermostate i wrote down where the existing color wires were connected and follow the directions for the new ones. Compare the new directions to the existing connections.
Old 05-24-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

U don't have to turn the power off. The digital thermos have batteries in them, thats all.
Old 05-24-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
just called TXU and they don't do that

if i install do i need to turn off power to that part of the house or is it just a low level battery
I was gonna be pissed if they did! I spent $40 on mine over in Cedar Park
Old 05-24-05, 02:46 PM

The new issue of 'make' has an idea. Attach a light-sensative nightlight to the thermostat via a loop of string.
Old 05-24-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
The new issue of 'make' has an idea. Attach a light-sensative nightlight to the thermostat via a loop of string.

what does that do?
Old 05-24-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
what does that do?
Gives you a nightlight hanging from your thermostat by a string. The only reason I can think of to do this would be to read the thermostat in the dark, but that's what light switches are for.

As for replacing the thermostat, I just did mine about 20 minutes ago. Took about 20 minutes, mainly because I was having trouble getting the old one off (one of those old rounder ones), ended up just ripping that SOB off of the wall.

There were four wires: red, white, blue, and green. On the back of the thermostat were four places to put the wires, marked "Y", "R", "B", "G", and "W" (the "W" had no wire). These markings were also on my replacement thermostat (an old mercury one I had at my office, hadn't yet taken it to a mercury recyling event). It also had screws marked "Y", "R", "B", and "G". I hooked up red to "R", green to "G", white to "W", and guessed at hooking up the blue wire to "Y". It works! I'll be buying a new programmable thermostat in the next couple of weeks. And I didn't turn off my power.
Old 05-25-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
As for replacing the thermostat, I just did mine about 20 minutes ago. Took about 20 minutes, mainly because I was having trouble getting the old one off (one of those old rounder ones), ended up just ripping that SOB off of the wall.
mom-in-law got us a digi-stat for xmas and i've been procrastinating hooking it up because every time i walk by that darn round stat we got now, i think to myself, 'how the hell would i go about getting that thing off?!'.

maybe i'll attack it this weekend..
Old 05-25-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My thermostat has an LCD screen (the cheap kind, like calculators), and one of those green/blue glowing backlights. Makes it easy to see at night.

Also, I got the dirt cheapest one at Home Depot. As said here and above, works like a charm. I think it was $40 or so.