Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

HIPAA forms

Old 05-23-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HIPAA forms

I know nearly all of you have seen and signed the HIPAA forms at your docs office.... well I need to get up to speed here at the office since I am now opening myself up to accept insurance. Where can I get the HIPAA forms? Anyone?
Old 05-23-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've searched online and come up with tons of crap I don't need and some sites that charge up the booty. And yea, I could probably just wait for the insurance companies to come to me on this... but I don't have patience. I wanted to see what I could find out now.

Last edited by melbatoast; 05-23-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 07:53 PM

Are you in the medical field? I am a pharmacist I could probably scan one of our forms for you to customize for your own use. Let me know. We got ours from the Corporate office. I think they just had some lawyers draw up the information sheet.
Old 05-23-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a Massage Therapist. That would be awesome! It looks like it's going to cost major $$ to do all of this crap. I wonder if I truly need it??
Old 05-23-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canít you just come up with some simple form yourself or is there something more specific you need to do for licensing?
Old 05-23-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has to be HIPAA stuff I'm pretty sure.
Old 05-23-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would think there's a need for more than just obtaining copies of forms to use. I believe that HIPAA guidelines require policies and procedures that detail your process to protect the patient information. This includes computer security (passwords, firewall, etc.), fax transmissions, process for dealing with incoming and outgoing paperwork, patient's rights to access records, patien's rights to submit amendment to record, etc.

There's also a need to enter into a documented business associate agreement with anyone with access to the patient information.

It gets pretty deep and they do offer classes or seminars to train people in HIPAA requirements or you can research it yourself. I would be worried that you're opening yourself up to potential payment denials and maybe even substantial fines if you aren't careful.
Old 05-23-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what I figured. So I'll just wait for them to get me all the info. I have a site visit coming up when we'll go over all of it.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problem.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the fines for HIPAA violations are astronomical. One person on site is required to be the HIPAA administrator and is personally liable for violations. Yes, I said PERSONALLY LIABLE.
Old 05-24-05, 07:54 AM

Interesting that HIPAA covers massages. "OMG so-and-so got a massage? Oh my word!!!!"
Old 05-24-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah - we woulnd't want that to get out.