Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Working from home BS or not?

Old 05-23-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Working from home BS or not?

I am a stay at home mom like many of the gals here. Recently I have been looking for at home work. I have sent out for info on the net and by snail mail. All I keep getting are these unbelievable Ads stating I can make up to a grand a week from home if I just send them money first to take their courses of pay for materials. I have not received anything that doesnít ask for a down payment of some type.

All I am really looking for is something to pay a few hundred bucks a month. I honestly donít really have a problem making a small down payment if I knew I would be refunded completely. I have heard of people who stuff envelopes and assemble things at home and make a couple hundred a week. Now I find myself wondering if they are homemaker myths.

Does anyone here know of a legitimate work from home system? If so please share.
Old 05-23-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i don;t know of any legit ones, but i do know there are some.. The company I work for farms out data entry on a nightly basis.. It is 10 cents per piece.. Can add up to be some good money
Old 05-23-05, 02:34 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Ive been surprised at how good selling on Ebay can be. If you can make something or package something (gift baskets, hand painted whatevers, collectibles) and put up a decent auction, you can probably make your $200 a month. Even passing on thrift store junk on Ebay can work.
Old 05-23-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Even eBay work - which may not seem like work - requires a lot of your time.

So, it's not impossible to make good money while at home. It's just impossible to easily do it without trading a large chunk of your time.
Old 05-23-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
If it was easy, I doubt it would be considered work.
Old 05-23-05, 02:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If you're already at home typing on DVDtalk, listing a few items on ebay cant be much more time consuming (Beyond initial research and setup)
Old 05-23-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what about phone sex or webcam shows? .. sorry
Old 05-23-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

get your webcam going.

edit: I've been outperved
Old 05-23-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go to www.alpineaccess.com.

If you are interested in direct sales, I could get you started with PartyLite. go to www.partylite.com.
Old 05-23-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a few legit work at home opportunities -- a lot of them involve medical billing or medical transcribing.

There are also a few companies, like coupon & rebate centers that will "hire" people to process coupon/rebate mail. I know of one in the Phoenix area (but you need to live nearby, because you actually pick up and drop off the stuff).
Old 05-23-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
what about phone sex or webcam shows? .. sorry

Oh come on, taking a dirty turn all ready.

I am not interested in anything sexual Iím married...lol
Old 05-23-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by La Bella Rose
Oh come on, taking a dirty turn all ready.

I am not interested in anything sexual Iím married...lol
Your poor poor hubby! You should invite him to DVDtalk now! LOL
Old 05-23-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Your poor poor hubby! You should invite him to DVDtalk now! LOL
LMAO that sounded bad didn't it.

Don't worry he gets plenty. We have three kids to prove it.
Old 05-23-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i would seriously try the ebay route or half.com.. at least try listing a few items items that you have laying around
Old 05-23-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Generally any job that asks for money upfront is not a 'real' job you want to bother even calling or emailing for info.
There are exceptions to this, obviously if you open a McDonald's or something, you'll need lots of bucks for the franchise fees, but I don't recall ever finding a legit 'work at home' that wanted money up front.

Does the website/email talk about a product, or just the massive amounts of money you could make? You should be able to find out what service or product a 'company' is selling pretty quickly, if they're legitimate.
Like Melbatoast says, there are the sell-from-home things like Partylite, Avon, Langeberger Baskets, and Creative Memories. My wife is into the scrapbooking, and she's got a couple of friends who are self-employed consultants. Not sure how the money is, and I know she gets paid sometimes in product, so that's something else to be aware of.

From ClarkHoward.com:
"ē Don't do business with any employment organization that requires you to pay a fee up front.
ē Work-at-home offers from people you don't know almost always are scams. If you have had so much trouble finding a job, it's unlikely you suddenly would be able to earn several hundred or several thousand dollars a week doing a job in your home"

Depending on how much 'stuff' you have, and how much $ you're looking for, the Ebay route might not hurt. Sell your own stuff on Ebay or Half.com, charge for Priority Mail shipping, get the USPS to deliver free Priority supplies to you, print postage and labels from your computer and USPS.com. Hit garage sales for unusual things. It can be done. But 'get rich quick with little work' is highly unlikely.

Other than that, approach local companies you're familiar with.

Back in college, when I had disposable income to blow, my roommate and I sent in for one of those 'Hundreds of Dollars in Your Spare Time!' things. It was 10 or 20 bucks. You know what we got? Two pieces of paper. One said "Earn Hundreds of Dollars in Your Spare Time!" and the other said "Put your name/address on the other paper. Put a dollar amount. Make lots of copies. Leave in public places." Yeah, that was worth our 20 bucks.
Old 05-23-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL Bella.

A friend of mine sells scrapboking stuff too. Same as PartyLite, we have in-home parties. It's alot of fun! I get paid 25% of my total sales.

Then there's selling sex toys. I know someone that does that too.
Old 05-23-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Back in college, when I had disposable income to blow, my roommate and I sent in for one of those 'Hundreds of Dollars in Your Spare Time!' things. It was 10 or 20 bucks. You know what we got? Two pieces of paper. One said "Earn Hundreds of Dollars in Your Spare Time!" and the other said "Put your name/address on the other paper. Put a dollar amount. Make lots of copies. Leave in public places." Yeah, that was worth our 20 bucks.
WTF was that supposed to accomplish?? Like people were going to pick it up and send you money out of nowhere??? Damn, if only I had thought of that scheme!
Old 05-23-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
get your webcam going.

edit: I've been outperved
He may have won that battle but he won't win the war.
Old 05-23-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Online surveys and focus groups were good for $300-700 a month at my peak last year. Then I got lazy and took up online poker instead, where I make more $$.
Old 05-23-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Everytime my wife posts that I yell at her. I tried working for them and they wer teh suck. Unless you have nothing better to do than sit around at home ALL DAY to wait and hear if you might work a few hours that day. HR is extremely unresponsive and their trainers are horrible. I called in to someone wokring from a home office (for training) and her kid was in the background screaming, the TV was blaring, and I could hear her husband cussing at the kid for something. Real nice.
Old 05-23-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could get a paper route. The newspaper I used to work for paid about $300/month for a 75 paper route which takes about 1.5 hours a day.
Old 05-23-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some kind of direct sales job is legit, but usually a PIA and then you become like a leper to all your friends because they don't want to feel obligated to buy crap from you.

Most other work from home deals where you send $20 or more in for info are scams, they will just take your money then tell you to put up ads just like theirs and get others to send you $20 or more for you to tell them to put up signs like yours to earn money

Unless you know someone at a legit company that can give you an inside hook up on a work from home job, you are usually not going to come up with anything good.

If you have typing skills, powerpoint skills, excel skills etc etc, you can take out an ad in your local newspaper and try to sell what you can do to small business's. I know people that have done this for a living at $25/hour or more on their own home computer. If you are in a somewhat populated area, you should be able to find some small business men that can't afford to hire a full time secretary but that will need help with that type of work and want to pay for it on an as needed basis.
Old 05-23-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

IIRC medical transcriptionists can make $15-25,000/yr from home. This is from professionals that I have talked to. I believe you do neet to be "certified" in it, but other than that I don't have much information.
Old 05-23-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SleepyW
Everytime my wife posts that I yell at her. I tried working for them and they wer teh suck. Unless you have nothing better to do than sit around at home ALL DAY to wait and hear if you might work a few hours that day. HR is extremely unresponsive and their trainers are horrible. I called in to someone wokring from a home office (for training) and her kid was in the background screaming, the TV was blaring, and I could hear her husband cussing at the kid for something. Real nice.
But that was just one incidence too... with all the employees they have and the publicity theyve been getting, there's got to be more to them.

Besides, I can always throw out options. She asked!
Old 05-23-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another good thing to do is insurance billing. It's a huge need in my industry and I'm sure others since billing for insurance is a major PITA for the provider. Just a thought. If you did it, I just may use you. I know of a local lady that charges $10 for every bill. You figure, if she has just 1 provider that has 20 patients a day, that's an easy $200 for just that one provider.

Hey! Why didn't I do that?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.