Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How would you handle this slumlord situation?

Old 05-23-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

How would you handle this slumlord situation?

I got a call today. Some people asked me if I owned a house, and I told them I did. They lived next door and wanted to complain about the grass on the side not being cut. Everything else is cut, but there is a small 5-10 foot area between the two that hasn't been done.

I asked them if they had talked to the renters about it and they said they hadn't. I told them they should, they are real nice people and I'm sure they probably just didn't notice it. They mention that they don't want to talk to the renters, etc. I tell them that is too bad, but I won't get involved until the city complains, and that if they won't even do the neighborly thing and talk to them directly, I won't get involved.

Okay, he is now mad and says that if he has to do it, he will just use RoundUp and kill it all. I tell him that I would probably do the same, but not until I had talked to the people that live there.

We hang up, and he wasn't too happy.

Honestly, would you call and bitch to a landlord before you ever even talked to your neighbor? My past experience with people like this is that if you do what they ask, they find it very easy to call and complain often about everything because it worked in the past. But even beyond that, how do people think I care when they don't even care enough to talk to their own neighbor?

Anyone think I should have been the "go between" for a situation like this?
Old 05-23-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would have done the same. If someone is able yet unwilling to directly confront the source of their misery, that person deserves to be miserable...
Old 05-23-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess he thinks that you're a rotten prick for doing that.

Honestly, that's the kind of thing that I'm likely to do, too. I don't really like creating conflict directly, so if there was a way to call someone else about something, rather than the party causing the problem, I'd go to the alternate party. I know it's stupid, but that's what I'd do.
Old 05-23-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It had to take more time to look up your number than it would have taken to go talk to the neighbors.
Old 05-23-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on who does the lawn maintenance for the property. I'm guessing the renter takes care of that for this property? If so, then their neighbor should take it up with them. If you hire someone out to mow that lawn, then the complaint falls in your lap.
Old 05-23-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wouldn't it be funny if that was Butthole that called you?
Old 05-23-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd probably go ahead and tell the renter for them the one time, because I'd want to warn them that their neighbor is a jackhole. After that, I would refuse to do it again.
Old 05-23-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Roto
I'd probably go ahead and tell the renter for them the one time, because I'd want to warn them that their neighbor is a jackhole. After that, I would refuse to do it again.
Maybe the people renting the house are freaks?
Old 05-23-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

have both the tenants and neighbors over for sodas and music videos
Old 05-23-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd probably call the tenant and say there was a complaint
Old 05-23-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDave
Depends on who does the lawn maintenance for the property. I'm guessing the renter takes care of that for this property? If so, then their neighbor should take it up with them. If you hire someone out to mow that lawn, then the complaint falls in your lap.
The tenants do it, and this guy knew that. He asked, "Don't you require them to do the lawn?" and I told him that I did. He then asked why I wasn't on them about it......

These really are great renters and they have done a lot of work. I am sure they just have forgotten about the back area because they never go back there.
Old 05-23-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
Maybe the people renting the house are freaks?
That totally slipped my mind because I would never rent to freaks. I forgot who we were dealing with for a moment
Old 05-23-05, 02:30 PM

In a situation like this I'd talk to the neighbors first, unless they'd shown themselves to be real assholes in the past.
Old 05-23-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
have both the tenants and neighbors over for sodas and music videos

Dick Grayson, you are silly!
Old 05-23-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread reminded of me how lame I am. A few years ago I lived in a large apartment building by a university, which some tenants seemed to think was a dorm. A day after they moved into the building, my downstairs neighbors were blasting music so loudly that things were falling off the shelves in my apartment. At midnight. I was so annoyed that, in a rare moment for me, I went downstairs to confront them. They wouldn't even open the door to talk to me face-to-face, so I was forced to shout through the door "Turn down your music!" They said "Oh, sorry man" and turned it off.

Two days later at midnight, they were playing music at the exact same volume, so I typed up the following and posted it in several places in the building, including on their door:

Hello Neighbors!!!

Nice to meet you. I'm the inconsiderate jackass who lives in apartment 239. I think that everyone in the building should have to listen to me when I blast my stereo. I don't care about any of you, or the fact that after three noise complaints, I'll be kicked out of the building. I just care about listening to my music so loudly that it carries through every wall, floor and ceiling. Thanks for your time and remember, I'm such a bastard that I'll keep blasting music until I've gotten three noise complaints and am evicted. It's been nice annoying all of you.

-Apartment 239
Lame, passive-aggressive and highly effective. That was the last time I ever heard music coming from their apartment.

That said, now that I'm a homeowner, I can't see myself tracking down the owner of a building instead of just talking to the renters, especially over such a small problem.
Old 05-23-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Paging K- oh wait a second.

Did you contact the tenants, KVR? Sucks to have such a lousy neighbor. I had some guy down the street complain to me about my "speeding" and just generally harass me. But now he's moving out.
Old 05-23-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's rediculous that he'd call you directly to complain. Get off your friggen ass and just ask nicely. Or pretend to be outside looking at the yard while the renter was mowing and ask politely if he's going to get that spot this time around. Why is that so hard for someone?

It's just plain rude to go around someone like that. It's not like he has heaps of trash and filth piled up outside of his house, hasn't mowed in a year and has a dog that barks constantly. It's a stinking piece of lawn. If it bothers him THAT much, he can always cut it himself. (that's what my MIL does to her neighbors when they don't cut the space in between the driveways). Big freaking deal!

He could have it much worse.
Old 05-23-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nothing a good shootin' won't fix!
Old 05-23-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan
This thread reminded of me how lame I am. A few years ago I lived in a large apartment building by a university, which some tenants seemed to think was a dorm. A day after they moved into the building, my downstairs neighbors were blasting music so loudly that things were falling off the shelves in my apartment. At midnight. I was so annoyed that, in a rare moment for me, I went downstairs to confront them. They wouldn't even open the door to talk to me face-to-face, so I was forced to shout through the door "Turn down your music!" They said "Oh, sorry man" and turned it off.

Two days later at midnight, they were playing music at the exact same volume, so I typed up the following and posted it in several places in the building, including on their door:

Lame, passive-aggressive and highly effective. That was the last time I ever heard music coming from their apartment.

That said, now that I'm a homeowner, I can't see myself tracking down the owner of a building instead of just talking to the renters, especially over such a small problem.
Now that's great stuff!!
Old 05-23-05, 03:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I asked them if they had talked to the renters about it and they said they hadn't. I told them they should, they are real nice people and I'm sure they probably just didn't notice it. They mention that they don't want to talk to the renters, etc. I tell them that is too bad, but I won't get involved until the city complains, and that if they won't even do the neighborly thing and talk to them directly, I won't get involved.
Since you know the neighbor and they don't, it doesn't sound unreasonable for you to ask. The caller may be trying to avoid any direct confrontation with the renter simply because they don't know them. In the best of all worlds they would talk to the renter themselves and everyone would be happy. But, in the real world, some people would make life hell on the person who knocked on their door and asked them to cut their grass... so it can be better to avoid that risk by asking the landlord to deal with his clients.
Old 05-23-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The tenants do it, and this guy knew that. He asked, "Don't you require them to do the lawn?" and I told him that I did. He then asked why I wasn't on them about it......

These really are great renters and they have done a lot of work. I am sure they just have forgotten about the back area because they never go back there.
Is this house in a covenant controlled community? If so then you should get on them about it because you could be fined. If not, they are good people, I say let it go and let the neighbor stress a little more about it.
Old 05-23-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why not call the renters and mention that the next door neighbor called you and was not sure if he should talk to you or your renters about the area not being mowed? Tell your renters that you told the neighbor that you were sure that they must have forgotten to mow it.

That way, they get the message and it's not like you're being an ass. The next door neighbor called you, after all.

Keep the peace!

Sonic
Old 05-23-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Is this house in a covenant controlled community? If so then you should get on them about it because you could be fined. If not, they are good people, I say let it go and let the neighbor stress a little more about it.

They don't have covenant-controlled communities where kvr lives.

Dave - I can't believe they had the nerve to go over your renters heads and talk to you about the problem first. The nerve of some people - they're fuckin' up the rotation!
Old 05-23-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Is this house in a covenant controlled community?
Good point. The same place once nearly got fined because they only had one car up on blocks instead of the required "two to five."

Sorry.

Yeah, I will mention it to them tonight. If I had been asked nicely, I wouldn't have had a big problem, but I could tell it was "grumpy old people" and the last thing you ever want to do is do what they say, or they will be calling all the time.

If it were a homeowner instead of a renter, what would they have done? Either nothing, or talked to the neighbor. No reason they couldn't do that here.
Old 05-23-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
Paging K- oh wait a second.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.