Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

did i almost die? (heat related)

Old 05-23-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

did i almost die? (heat related)

ok.. over the weekend, i have been moving from an apt to a house.. it is 95 degrees here already and I've been doing a lot of heavy lifting outside to inside, not taking much breaks and not drinking as much water as I should have... anyway last night, I became very light headed and started sweating and then shivering..i was upstairs and it seemed like a mile away to get my cell phone..i downed a bottle of water.. i crawled into the bathtub tub and turned on the water and just kind of laid there for a few mins.. i almost passed out, but was afraid if i did, i might fall underneath the water and drown... i walked over to my bed lay there for a few mins, but was afraid I might fall asleep/pass out... my question is if I did pass out, would it be potentially deadly (ilke a concussion) or would I just a wake up a little bit later?

anyway, laid on the bed for a few more mins, shivering.. went outside where it was warm and felt back to normal a few mins later
Old 05-23-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Almost die? I dunno, probably not. It sounds like you suffered from heat exhaustion, something I saw quite a bit of in the army. You didn't drink enough water, and you also probably lost a lot of electrolytes through sweat. Anyhow, you treated it properly by resting and rehydrating. You might want to watch out for this in the future, though, as it has been my experience that once a person suffers the symptoms of a fairly extreme heat illness like this, they become susceptible to them. Keep plenty of water in you, and also keep something like gatorade or (even better) pedialyte on hand in case you start feeling shaky after seriously heating up and sweating. Good luck.
Old 05-23-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Almost die? I dunno, probably not. It sounds like you suffered from heat exhaustion, something I saw quite a bit of in the army. You didn't drink enough water, and you also probably lost a lot of electrolytes through sweat. Anyhow, you treated it properly by resting and rehydrating. You might want to watch out for this in the future, though, as it has been my experience that once a person suffers the symptoms of a fairly extreme heat illness like this, they become susceptible to them. Keep plenty of water in you, and also keep something like gatorade or (even better) pedialyte on hand in case you start feeling shaky after seriously heating up and sweating. Good luck.

thanks.. i guess my question is what if i had fallen asleep/passed out?
Old 05-23-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I'm fairly certain you would merely have slept several hours, then woken up thirsty, perhaps with a headache. AFAIK, the "sleeping is dangerous" thing applies to head injuries, drug overdose, and severe blood loss. Any of the medically trained Otters wany help me out here? I'm not a doctor, but I have seen actors portray them on TV.
Old 05-23-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
thanks.. i guess my question is what if i had fallen asleep/passed out?
The main reason they keep someone awake after a concussion is to monitor them. If they had a bleed in the brain that was causing an increase in intracranial pressure, then they would eventually become somnolent and finally unarousable. That tells you that something bad is going on. Falling asleep is not what causes the problem, it is that fact that they can't wake you after you fall asleep which tells you something bad is going on. So after all of that, the answer is that it wouldn't have made any difference if you fell asleep or not. Sleeping wouldn't "cause" your situation to get worse, but just like the head trauma example, if they couldn't wake you up then that is obviously a bad sign.
Old 05-23-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

in your case....sleeping would probably have helped. slowed your body down and allowed its self-regulating temp system to get things back in normal ranges. you had heat exhaustion....which can lead to heat stroke. and that's bad. you did the right thing by resting and rehydrating. but shivering is not good in that situation....you were definately on the brink of heat stroke, so be more cafeful in the future and drink LOTS of water when working outside in heat like that....pretty much as much as you can stomach.
Old 05-23-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
in your case....sleeping would probably have helped. slowed your body down and allowed its self-regulating temp system to get things back in normal ranges. you had heat exhaustion....which can lead to heat stroke. and that's bad. you did the right thing by resting and rehydrating. but shivering is not good in that situation....you were definately on the brink of heat stroke, so be more cafeful in the future and drink LOTS of water when working outside in heat like that....pretty much as much as you can stomach.
Besides water, it's good to sometimes drink some Gatorade or something to replenish things that water doesn't.
Old 05-23-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like heat exhausting to me too. Falling asleep in the tub would probably be more of an issue than the heat exhaustion itself.

Like others have said, drink lots of water and gatorade. I'd also suggest putting a wet wash cloth around your neck. I know that helps me when I'm working outside during a hot Texas summer.
Old 05-23-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDave
Sounds like heat exhausting to me too. Falling asleep in the tub would probably be more of an issue than the heat exhaustion itself.

Like others have said, drink lots of water and gatorade. I'd also suggest putting a wet wash cloth around your neck. I know that helps me when I'm working outside during a hot Texas summer.

thanks guys... you are certainly right about being more careful in the heat
Old 05-23-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those sound like the systoms you get when you catch teh gay. not that i have personal experience...err...a friend told me.
Old 05-24-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Those sound like the systoms you get when you catch teh gay. not that i have personal experience...err...a friend told me.

it would explain why butt was all red and sore when i woke up