Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Things to Do in Toronto! Recs. Please...

Old 05-22-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Things to Do in Toronto! Recs. Please...

I'm going to be in Toronto for a few days...Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't want to do to much touristy type crap, I'm much more into the history and unique things that make up the city. Anything Haunted?

I will be doing a few tourist things - Chinatown, The Hockey Hall of Fame (which will be my first time, as some of you know the Hockey NUT I am, and I've never been there - for shame!), but mostly I want scenic...old...stuff with character.

Also, I'll need a few Restaurant and hotel recs...I'm thinking of staying either north or east of the city as opposed to right downtown...good idea?

Thanks in advance to everyone on this...I appreciate it!
Old 05-22-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I'm going to be in Toronto for a few days...Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't want to do to much touristy type crap, I'm much more into the history and unique things that make up the city. Anything Haunted?

I will be doing a few tourist things - Chinatown, The Hockey Hall of Fame (which will be my first time, as some of you know the Hockey NUT I am, and I've never been there - for shame!), but mostly I want scenic...old...stuff with character.

Also, I'll need a few Restaurant and hotel recs...I'm thinking of staying either north or east of the city as opposed to right downtown...good idea?

Thanks in advance to everyone on this...I appreciate it!
Maybe a visit to Casa Loma might be more to your liking since you are looking for something scenic with character. I'm not sure what else to recomend since you are not looking to visit any tourist areas except for the ones that you mentioned above.

Staying in the north or east of the city might save you some money however, if you don't have a car or don't want to put up with traffic, staying downtown is the best way to go. If money is no exception, hotels such as the Royal York, Hilton or Four Seasons are excellent.
The good thing about Toronto is that you can find some excellent restaurants for every type of cuisine in different pockets of the city. Go to the Danforth for some excellent Greek restaurants (I like Myth), Yorkville (for some fancy and expensive restaurants, clubs and bars), King Street West area, Chinatown and Queen Street West area. If you are staying downtown, you will be able to get to these places via public transit or TTC as we called it. If you want to hit some bars and clubs, you might want to check the Entertainment District (area around Adelaide, Richmond streets). There are tons of bars and clubs that at least one of them might be suited for you depending of your taste in music or scene.

Hope this help and enjoy your trip.
Old 05-22-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I know you said no touristy stuff, but the CN tower really is worth it. on a clear day you can see Rochester NY across Lake Ontario
Old 05-23-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to the Royal York

Good hotel a few blocks of Young St. Although you dont want to do alot of tourist type of things this is a good place given its central location if your arent drving. If you wanted to vist a historic place on the far west and you choose a hotel far east, it could be a hardship.
Old 05-23-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are into wines, about an 60-90 minute drive south there are the Ontario wineries near and in Niagara on the Lake. Lots of tours, lots of tastings.
Old 05-23-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ontario Science Center. The last time I went there I was probably 11 though, so I can't vouch for its coolness these days. I can't remember any specific Chinese restaurants, but if you do like Chinese food, Toronto will definitely take care of you.
Old 05-23-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cartload
Ontario Science Center. The last time I went there I was probably 11 though, so I can't vouch for its coolness these days. I can't remember any specific Chinese restaurants, but if you do like Chinese food, Toronto will definitely take care of you.
I second the Ontario Science Centre. We spent two days there the last time. The kids had a blast. Cirque du Soleil was there so they got to do circus type stuff. It's filled with IMAX movies and other physical science exhibits. The sports exhibit was very popular too. If you are familiar with them, it's like Liberty Science Center in NJ or the Exploratorium in San Francisco. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy it either.
Old 05-23-05, 02:38 PM
Hud

Old Fort Niagara might be of interest to you if you're into history, but it is on the NY side and would be a day trip from Toronto. Have fun...great city.
Old 05-23-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hud
Old Fort Niagara might be of interest to you if you're into history, but it is on the NY side and would be a day trip from Toronto. Have fun...great city.
Nah, stay on the Canadian side and go to Fort George just across the Erie from Fort Niagara. You'll get the British perpective on things.
Old 05-23-05, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by garolo
Nah, stay on the Canadian side and go to Fort George just across the Erie from Fort Niagara. You'll get the British perpective on things.
Why would anyone want something other than the US perspective?
Old 05-23-05, 04:03 PM

I used to go back and forth for years to visit family. Most restaurants are very good, with so many of them they have to be to stay in business. Amato's has great food, definitely try them. Stay at the sheraton, it is in the middle of everything.
Old 05-23-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tublecane
Why would anyone want something other than the US perspective?
Could it be because he's going to be visiting Canada?
Old 05-23-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by garolo
Actually there's Old Fort York located right in Toronto between Lakeshore and Exhibition Place. I remember going there while in grade school on an overnight trip there and it was pretty interesting. It something historical and it does give off a "haunted" look and feel.
Old 05-23-05, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the insight...keep it coming!

I've already got my day planned on the wine route, as I have 3 of my fave wineries there. ANd Casa Loma was already on the list, as I haven't been there in like 18 years when I was 9, and didn't appreciate it.

I'm thinking about doing one of the haunted hamilton or haunted ontario tours...
Old 05-24-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See a Blue Jays game if you can, if you want to spend $299.00 (Canadian) you can rent a hotel room and watch the baseball game from your balcony.

The CN tower is right next to the stadium and I highly recommend going up. They have several price levels, if you want to skip the line and go to the tippy, tippy top then you have to get the most expensive package. When I was there the line was over 2 hours long but if you got $29.99 package then you got to move to the front of the line... my advice, go early!

The Hockey Hall of fame is a short walk from the stadium, but it was very disappointing; The entrance is in a food court of a underground shopping center. However you do get to see the Stanley Cup and watch the film about the greatest moments in Hockey history, that is pretty interesting.

Younge Street is also fun as well lots of shops and things to do etc. As for the hotels I would Priceline it, but only go with 3 stars as 4 stars charge for everything including coffee.

Finally when you go home I suggest spending the night in Niagara Falls so you can have an early start in the morning. I got there around lunch time and we had to wait 3 1/2 hours to get across the border! What should have been a 7 hour trip home took well over 10 1/2 hours!

My Toronto Pictures
Old 05-24-05, 09:06 PM

Well, I ended up using Hotwire for my hotel...and got a $200us suite at the Intercontinental Center (next to the CN tower) for $92us a night...SCORE!

I'm still trying to find a decent hotel in Hamilton for Saturday so we can do the Ghost tour in Hamilton Saturday night, and on to Toronto for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 05-24-05 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-25-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These two mags are always a great source of info for events:
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/200...stings_toc.php
http://www.eye.net/ (check listings)

By the way, if you decide to visit the tower, I suggest doing it in the evening/night, and in conjunction with dinner at 360, the revolving restaurant. The restaurant is expensive but good, and you get free access to all parts of the tower except for the skypod (very top observation deck that really isn't worth it). The view from CN is much nicer at night, and with the meal you don't feel like you're being ripped off by the exhorbitant entrance fee - $20, up from less than half that about ten years ago.
Here's a nighttime view:
Old 05-25-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Well, I ended up using Hotwire for my hotel...and got a $200us suite at the Intercontinental Center (next to the CN tower) for $92us a night...SCORE!

I'm still trying to find a decent hotel in Hamilton for Saturday so we can do the Ghost tour in Hamilton Saturday night, and on to Toronto for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday...
)

Well stay away from the Toronto Intercontinental it sucks! (Yes it is a different hotel) It took them 1/2 hour to open up the business center for me and they acted like it was a chore, and they charge $8.00 for a that little pot of coffee in your room.
Old 05-25-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Find yourself a fine cigar shop and select a few nice Havanas. I suggest a Montecristo No. 2.
Old 05-25-05, 02:17 PM

I live in Toronto. To be honest, it's not a very tourist-ey kinda town. There just ain't that much to see or do. Despite the government's claim that this is an "international city" ala NYC, it just ain't.

Check out Paramount's Wonderland if you are into rollercoasters; there's also a new giant mall besides it.

There's also the distillery district you can look into, they make their own beer there! There are some cool restaurants and galleries. Lots of festivals going on during the summer (after all, we only have two seasons here, summer and winter)

Hope it helps
Old 05-25-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Find yourself a fine cigar shop and select a few nice Havanas. I suggest a Montecristo No. 2.

I second that, nothing like a good Cuban.
Old 05-25-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I second that, nothing like a good Cuban.
Paging Agador Spartacus.
Old 05-25-05, 10:44 PM

I used to smoke cigars...not anymore. I used to import Trinidads and Bolivars from the UK (cgarsltd.com)...I love bolivars. Although, I don't think I'll have one this trip...I'd rather spend the money on some Havana Club Gold Rum...the best rum in the world if you ask me. I got 4 bottles back home with me last year...