Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

can you lose weight on diet soda?

Old 05-20-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

can you lose weight on diet soda?

i know its nearly impossible to lose weight if you drink regular soda regularly (or basically at all) but how bout diet cola? it cant be as good for you as water (and im not saying replace water with it) but will it slow you down in weight loss if you drink it every day?
Old 05-20-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Generally it won't hurt, but it will tend to make you feel more hungry.
Old 05-20-05, 04:12 PM
Banned

It helps you lose weight when all the chemicals in it give you cancer.
Old 05-20-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cancer is not good.
Old 05-20-05, 04:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Regular soda has LOTS of sugar/calories. Simply by switching to diet soda, a regular soda drinker can probably expect to lose a few lbs. with that change alone.

As far as I know, most diet plans allow for regular consumption of diet drinks.
Old 05-20-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just do a little reading about calories, sugars, carbs, fat, protein, excercise, etc.

sorry for the hijack/rant. people that really want to lose weight need to understand calories, sugars, carbs, etc before just deciding to drop certain things. not directed at the OP, but people that jump on fad diets, or think drinking diet instead of regular will shed the pounds need to do a bit of learning to make things a lot easier.

I can lose weight drinking a six pack a day, but I also burn 4000 calories a day a couple times a week. I eat like crap, but justify it by burning off the calories. I usually maintain my weight/body fat around 200lbs/10-15% bf, but if that goes up, then I will adjust my slightly diet until it gets where I want it.

oh yeah, and cancer aint good for you, but i drink the liquid crack anyways.

edit to add: i couldnt help but laugh when i was at carl's jr the other day, and this bigger guy next to me orders the low carb six dollar burger, then fills up with sierra mist. If he just doesnt like buns, fine, but my bet is that he is trying to do some sort of hybrid atkins thing, and is clueless. btw, I ordered a double western combo with a large dr. pepper... mmmmmm!

Last edited by grrrah; 05-20-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how do you burn 4000 calories in one day?
Old 05-20-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not sure that diet pop makes you hungry and in fact it does the opposite for me. Diet pop has no calories and has caffeine which will burn a few extra calories. So yes, you can lose weight if you are drinking diet, but the most important thing is to burn more calories than you take in. Build some muscle, do cardio as much as possible, and eat reasonably and the weight will come off if you are drinking diet pop or not.
Old 05-20-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
how do you burn 4000 calories in one day?
that is just a guess, because I know I used to eat that much and maintain the weight (last year). it wasnt every day, but couple days a week i know i did that much excercise.

I usually try to ride my (mountain or road) bike 2-3 times a week up in the hills.
Lift weights at the gym 3x a week, sometimes followed by spin class.
commute to work via bike (16 miles on flat)
Go clubbing and dance for 3-4 hours on weekends

I know that sounds crazy, but I started of slowly, doing weights 2-3 days, and riding 1 per week. I started riding more because its damn addicting! Time is tight, but its worth it.
Old 05-20-05, 04:48 PM

Calorie buring table

Pretty tough to burn 4000 calories unless you are doing 10+ hours of high intensity active per day.
Old 05-20-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Calorie buring table

Pretty tough to burn 4000 calories unless you are doing 10+ hours of high intensity active per day.
well, I mentioned it was just a guess from last year because I maintained weight, but since then I have dropped my intake to about 3000 cal/day, but a normal (200lbs) person not doing any excercise will burn 2000-2500 calories a day. add to that the excercise (1500 calories isnt too hard to burn)

based on your chart, a 2hr bike ride will burn 1200 calories (100cal/10min if i average the race pace and 9.4mph - I usually average 15 mph in the hills) My mountain bike rides feel much harder than road rides (but thats because I don't have as much control over my heart rate). I have done races, and my typical rides are probably about 90% of race pace. Back then, somedays would do weights the same day after the bike ride.

Of course 4000 calories burnt through excercise alone is practically impossible.
Old 05-20-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having ONE 12 oz (or even 16oz) diet soda a day will not hurt you. Stick with caffeine free for best results. lately I have been on a Diet Rite kick, splenda sweetened with no caffeine and no sodium, best of all worlds in a soda.

Just be sure to drink plenty of water.
Old 05-20-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

to answer the original question, I don't think it will slow down your weight loss compared to water, but as others have said, there are some claimed negative side effects. just drink it!
Old 05-20-05, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Having ONE Stick with caffeine free for best results.
This is not true. Caffeine helps you burn calories.
Old 05-20-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine
This is not true. Caffeine helps you burn calories.
edited because it didn't sound right

Caffeine will dehydrate you. I had no problems at all losing weight without caffeine, YMMV.

Eat less calories than you need + exercise = weight loss

no caffeine in that equation at all.

EITHER WAY 1 soda a day will not hurt you.

Last edited by 4KRG; 05-20-05 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you lift a bunch of them, maybe.
Old 05-20-05, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
edited because it didn't sound right

Caffeine will dehydrate you. I had no problems at all losing weight without caffeine, YMMV.

Eat less calories than you need + exercise = weight loss

no caffeine in that equation at all.

EITHER WAY 1 soda a day will not hurt you.
I'm sure you aren't implying that I said you need caffeine to lose weight, b/c I never said that. I said that caffeine will aid in losing weight as it helps you burn fat. It is a phosphodiesterase inhibitor which in layman terms will increase your metabolism. I agree that pop is a diuretic and can dehydrate you but that is a different issue. One pop (or more) won't hurt you, but it will add calories if you don't drink diet. Buy drinking a regular pop, you will likely need to add another 20 minutes on the treadmill to break even with someone who drank diet pop. No big deal if you want to work out harder/longer or cut back somewhere else in your diet to achieve the same results.