Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Question about disputing a credit card charge.

Old 05-20-05, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Question about disputing a credit card charge.

I have never made a credit card dispute before, but it looks like I may have to, and I wanted to get some input before I proceed.

I contacted a local performance shop in my area about getting some ground fx and a spoiler for my whip. All has gone good til now. I went in to get a written estimate, $1600, all looked good so I went ahead with it. For them to order the parts and have them shipped they said they needed half now (so they know that they won't order the parts and I up and run off) and half when the job is done (just like the hitmen in the movies)

Anyways, I put half down, $800 on April 14th. Over the period of a month and a half things have been slow moving, and my patience is growing thin. Only till a few weeks ago (a month later than I paid half) the parts came in, I went in to have a "prefit" for my whip before they do the paint and prep work (which is good) and either the wrong parts were ordered, or the company they ordered from sent the wrong parts.

After a week of realizing the incorrect parts were shipped/ordered, I called on a status. They basically told me that they have a call into the supplier, and they are "working on" getting the situation figured out, they have not heard from the supplier yet. Jump a head till today, still no status, and they are supposedly still waiting for a call from the supplier about the incorrect parts. Bullshit.

After expressing my displeasement to the shop over everything, they pretty much blew it off. I am to the point to where I am either going to demand a refund, or call the credit card company and dispute the charge and forget the whole thing. Because the way this is going, its going to be at least 2+ months before I see any work done, that doesn't fly, I know if I call and bitch about it again and demand a refund they will not do it.

So I need some advice on a course of action. Can I simply call the credit card company and dispute the charges since technically I haven't gotten anything for my money? Or do I need to go through the performance shop first.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks all.
Old 05-20-05, 02:23 PM

You should go through the performance shop first, and give them the opportunity to refund the money. This is the first question that the credit card company would have asked you. If once you tell them that you want a refund they refuse, then go immediately to the CC and dispute the charge. If the shop agrees, then give them a few days to get it resolved; if it hasn't happened at the end of this period, don't bother with them again, go straight to the credit card.

I don't know what card you used; with AMEX, it can all be done online.
Old 05-20-05, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Thanks I appreciate the info i think I will do that.

The shop doesn't have the greatest customer service, but they do good work and come well recommended, but there lack of communication is downright awful. I am going to give them the weekend and check the status on Monday and see where I am at.

The CC I used is my Capitol 1 Visa.
Old 05-20-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Talk to the shop first. If not, go to your credit card provider.

Tip: When talking with Capitol One, don't say it's for your "whip" -- they might be confused.

(And now to wait for the obligatory Xzibit picture).
Old 05-20-05, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
Talk to the shop first. If not, go to your credit card provider.

Tip: When talking with Capitol One, don't say it's for your "whip" -- they might be confused.

(And now to wait for the obligatory Xzibit picture).
LOL!! What if I say I am Xzibit, will that work??
Old 05-20-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by animalmystic
I contacted a local performance shop in my area about getting some ground fx and a spoiler for my whip.

I assume everyone else that has read this knows what a "whip" is, so someone lay me down the 411, yo.
Old 05-20-05, 04:27 PM

whip=car...what else would you get a spoiler for??
Old 05-20-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's see how far this thread can get without a Top Bunk reference.

D'oh!
Old 05-20-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with others above, ask the shop in plain words "I want a refund" if they refuse make notes on the employees name, time and date and what exactly he said (if they sweet talk you or double talk you, demand a refund a second time and ignore whatever they say). Read from your notes to the CC company about how they toolk your money, can't deliver the product and refuse to give you a refund when you went in person and asked nicely.

Unless your CC company is a sham, you will have your money in a few days. My CC company knows me so well now (and I spend a good bit on the card every month), I can usually get a refund on a dispute in about an hour

It pays to be a good customer when it comes to credit.
Old 05-20-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hiphopkid
whip=car...what else would you get a spoiler for??

a movie?
Old 05-20-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it called a whip though? I just assumed he was talking about some make of car I didn't know.

Does my WRX qualify as a whip?
Does my parents Honda Odyssey?
Old 05-20-05, 06:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mordred
Why is it called a whip though? I just assumed he was talking about some make of car I didn't know.

Does my WRX qualify as a whip?
Does my parents Honda Odyssey?
Yes
and
Yes

Any car you own is called a ,whip or your whip. When referring to your motor vehicle please refer to it as "my whip". If you refer to it any other way you are considered lame and uncool. If you use the term "hoopty" that won't work, you will look lame. Only use hoopty in funny conversations, don't use it when talking seriously about your whip. The only other word you can use, and still be considered cool, is the word "ride" but you HAVE to use a hip word when describing somebodys ride, otherwise you are uncool when using "ride" all by itself

Example "Man you have a tight ride" Or "are those 18" Enkei's on your ride?"
"thats a sweet ride man"

Ect.

So yes your WRX is a whip, or if using the word ride it would be "Man what year is your WRX, thats a tight looking ride"

See
Old 05-20-05, 06:59 PM
Suspended

One other rule, if you are referring to your parents whip, and there car sucks, ALWAYS refer it to "my parents whip" NEVER let your friends know you are rollin' in a lamo whip, never say "my other whip" always refer it to "my parents whip" its important
Old 05-22-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the info.

I saw a commercial for some TV show called "Unique Whips". I guess everyone but me was up on this lingo hehe.
Old 05-22-05, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mordred
thanks for the info.

I saw a commercial for some TV show called "Unique Whips". I guess everyone but me was up on this lingo hehe.
Coool glad I could help.
Old 05-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A whip is a
Spoiler:
car

As you can see whips come with spoilers.
Old 05-23-05, 12:53 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I first heard whip being slang for car when "Out of Sight" came out.

Is "Whip" derived from "Buggy Whip" which was used for transportation in the 1800s?

Im sorry but that would be pretty dorky.