Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Animal cruelty haters rejoice!!!

Old 05-19-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Animal cruelty haters rejoice!!!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3189038

Man gets 2 years for taping dog's mouth shut
Associated Press

DENTON A man convicted of animal cruelty for taping a dog's mouth shut was sentenced to two years in state jail on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Labrador retriever named "Bull" had to be put to death after suffering a heat stroke in July.

In addition to the two-year sentence, a Denton County jury also fined Richard Swift, 43, of The Colony, $5,000. The two-year sentence was the maximum for the charge.

Investigators initially said the man taped the dog's mouth shut to prevent it from barking. Experts say taping a dog's mouth shut prevents the animal from panting, which helps it stay cool.

Swift had previous convictions for manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance and assault causing bodily injury.

Prosecutors said Swift wasn't eligible for probation because he once had his probation revoked after testing positive for drugs.

The dog belonged to Swift's brother, Rodney, who said Wednesday he disagreed with the verdict. He had testified that his brother was a lifelong animal lover who would never intentionally hurt a dog.
Old 05-19-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His brother's an f'n moron!!
Old 05-19-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There for a second I thought maybe something had happened to kvrdave.
Old 05-19-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Hmmmm, I may have to quit that practice. Do you suppose this would apply to horses as well?
Old 05-19-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't make me beat you!
Old 05-19-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's it. I'm training my dog how to sweat like a normal person so we won't have this problem.
Old 05-19-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

2 years seems very excessive, though. I think a more appropriate punishment would be like....nothing, or something.
Old 05-19-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he'll soon be having his mouth taped shut so he can't "bark"... if you know what I mean.
Old 05-19-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That'd be a bitch!
Old 05-19-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a sad day for animal cruelty lovers everywhere.

A two year sentence is a bit of a surprise, though. Even in cases in which the act is clearly fueled by malice, the sentence is usually much lower.
Old 05-20-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice! Friggin jackass.
Old 05-20-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Uh-oh.
Old 05-20-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

2 years in jail and a $5,000 fine is much much easier than what I would suggest be done with him.
Old 05-20-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

The guy was a moran, made a mistake, but didn't have a history of abuse, and the dog's owner even said he was a life long animal lover. I think that sentence is insane. Send him to animal sensitivity training, or whatever the hippy equivilent is.
Old 05-20-05, 10:59 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

2 years in jail and a $5,000 fine is much much easier than what I would suggest be done with him.
Had him wear women's panties on his head?
Old 05-20-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The guy was a moran, made a mistake, but didn't have a history of abuse, and the dog's owner even said he was a life long animal lover. I think that sentence is insane. Send him to animal sensitivity training, or whatever the hippy equivilent is.
No, but he did have a criminal record including violent crimes and probation violation, which probably played more into the sentence than the crime itself.
Old 05-20-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

true enough. I was just thinking of this as the only crime for the sentencing.
Old 05-20-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The dog died and yet he is still alive. The punishment is too weak.
Old 05-20-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The dog died and yet he is still alive. The punishment is too weak.
I agree. Also, we should make room in prison for this violent madman by releasing a child molester, rapist, or murderer. Their sentences are usually a bit too harsh.
Old 05-20-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I agree. Also, we should make room in prison for this violent madman by releasing a child molester, rapist, or murderer. Their sentences are usually a bit too harsh.
Yeah, I agree. I was somewhat surprised to see that I was one of the few who think his punishment is a bit too lengthy.

That's not to say that I think that punishment for animal cruelty is typically too harsh. For the most part, I think that sentences for cruelty against animals should be increased. This case though, from the little info we have, seems to be more due to stupidity. If you compare a parent forgetting a child in a car on a hot day to a parent intentionally drowning their child, people are generally more forgiving in the former case and are calling for blood in the latter. I agree that this person deserves punishment, but I don't really think that this should be a "calling for blood" type of case.
Old 05-20-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Kill them all.
Old 05-20-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people seem to get more upset by cruelty to animals than to humans.
Old 05-20-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But the guy didn't accidentally leave the dog in a car to die, or happened to have it unexpectedly die due to some unforseen event. He made a conscious decision to tape the dog's mouth shut. Who does that?

I think if you want to compare it to something else, maybe it's less like leaving your baby in a car during the summer, and more like purposely turning off the baby monitor because you don't want to hear him cry at night. And then, the baby dies due to some complication with was created by the parents' pre-meditated negligence. And even that analogy isn't quite good enough.

And to Movielib...I don't think people get more upset about animal killings than human killings. I just think that getting two years for killing an innocent animal is very wrong--and this is an extreme case regarding the jail time. It sends a message that one can kill any living animal and suffer little consequence. Should there be prison's full of cat and dog killers? Not at all, but I think there needs to be some other punishment (even if it is just some sort of sensitivity training or whatever) to take care of these criminals as well.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 05-20-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 06:15 PM
Banned

Sometimes the arresting officer will push for the most severe sentence under the law and the sometimes the judge will listen.

Happens all the time.
Old 05-20-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
But the guy didn't accidentally leave the dog in a car to die, or happened to have it unexpectedly die due to some unforseen event. He made a conscious decision to tape the dog's mouth shut. Who does that?
Actually, the question should be, "Who knows that by keeping a dogs mouth closed, he can die of heat stroke because he can't pant and reduce the temperature of his body?"

I may have been able to say I know why a dog pants, but I doubt seriously that I would have thought about the importance if I taped his mouth shut.

My guess is that very few people who don't believe in the death penalty for animal cruelty would think about this right off, either.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.