Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mime claims to know 'Piano Man'...

Old 05-18-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mime claims to know 'Piano Man'...

But he's not talking:

LONDON - Many callers have offered information about the mysterious "Piano Man," including a mime who said he was a fellow street musician, but the hospital patient who loves to play Tchaikovsky has yet to be positively identified, officials said Wednesday.

Michael Camp, the man's social worker, acknowledged claims by a Polish immigrant in Rome who believes the so-called "Piano Man" is a street musician from France — but he said officials will continue to follow up on more than 600 calls they have received from as far away as Australia and Canada.

"I'm concerned that we don't just stop at the step of this particular person," Camp told reporters. "He might be him but at the same time he might not be."

Italian police reported that Polish mime artist Dariusz Dydymski had approached them claiming the pianist — found wandering, distraught and soaking wet on the Isle of Sheppey in southeast England on April 7 — is Steven Villa Masson, a pianist with whom he worked in the French resort of Nice.

Hospital officials Monday released a photograph of the man, who is tall and thin with blond hair and believed to be in his 20s or early 30s.

He has not said a word since being found, but he has drawn intricate picture of pianos for staff at the Medway Maritime Hospital at Gillingham, where he was first taken, and played on the chapel piano, performing snippets of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" and the music of John Lennon.

The man now is being cared for at a psychiatric unit in Dartford and is regularly playing a piano provided for him by a tabloid newspaper.

Adrian Lowther, a spokesman for the West Kent National Health Service Trust, which is caring for the man, said officials have received calls and e-mails from Australia, Canada, Sweden and Holland.

"They are just suggestions and they will now be looked at and until we do we can't rule any of them in or out," he said.

Italian police say they have taken a statement from Dydymski which will be passed to British authorities.

The British press has likened the case of the "Piano Man" to the Oscar-winning 1996 movie "Shine," about acclaimed pianist David Helfgott, who suffered a nervous breakdown while playing. But the man seems to be nothing more than an accomplished amateur.

Camp, the social worker, says he remains very anxious and uncommunicative, only seeming to relax when at the keyboard.

Hospital staff already have ruled out reports that he recently attended a local funeral. Interpreters from Poland, Latvia and Lithuania were brought in to see if he was from Eastern Europe and possibly an asylum seeker, but no one was able to get through to him.
I assumed that this was a publicity thing at first, but the guy just might be nuts.
Old 05-18-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Great thread title.
Old 05-18-05, 02:56 PM

Good for the mime. As for me, I'm not really sure how it goes. But it's sad and it's sweet, and I knew it complete...when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Old 05-18-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have asked Davy, but he's still in the Navy and he'll probably be there for life.
Old 05-18-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, these guys shared everything. You know, what's mime is yours, and what's yours is mime.
Old 05-18-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Good for the mime. As for me, I'm not really sure how it goes. But it's sad and it's sweet, and I knew it complete...when I wore a younger man's clothes.
You may be right. Then again, I may be crazy.
Old 05-18-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by adamblast
You may be right. Then again, I may be crazy.
Big words from someone whose mother still makes their bed.

That's too long...
Old 05-18-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Big words from someone whose mother still makes their bed.

That's too long...
You had to be a big shot, didn't you?
Old 05-19-05, 01:55 AM

I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all a little mimed out.

the pianist — found wandering, distraught and soaking wet on the Isle of Sheppey in southeast England on April 7
In the middle of the night, he goes walking in his sleep...
Old 05-19-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Piano Man Mystery

Clues have been offered by the hundreds, but authorities have yet to crack the mystery of the "Piano Man," the hospital patient who won't talk and feels most comfortable at the keyboard or writing music.

Some 300 possible identities have been suggested for the tall, blond man who was found wandering distressed and dripping wet in southeastern England on April 7, health officials said Thursday.

Hospital officials on Monday released a photograph of the man, who is tall and thin with blond hair —— possibly dyed —— and believed to be in his 20s or early 30s.

Authorities have had more than 700 calls and 150 e-mails offering information, "and this will take time to work through. We are unable to confirm reports about his identity at this time."
Social workers said a tip from a Polish mime living in Italy, who said the man is a French street musician, proved false. Dariusz Dydymski had said he was "99 percent certain" the pianist was named Steven Villa Massone, but Massone was found living in Nice, France.

"I found out this morning when I saw in the Italian papers that he had said that man was me," The Independent newspaper quoted Massone as saying. "I didn't understand what had happened and suddenly I had lots of calls asking if I was the pianist."

Reports that surfaced in British newspapers Thursday speculating that the man could be a Canadian eccentric have also not been verified.

Social worker Michael Camp said such speculation was pointless.
"Names are being bandied about. It's not very helpful," Camp said. "It's a long process and I understand why, in the absence of any information from us, people in the media are coming up with things."

The man, who remains in a psychiatric unit in Dartford, is still drawing pictures and writing music of his own, Camp said.

"I don't think this is somebody who was living a normal life until April 7 and suffered a trauma," he said. "I think it's somebody who has been tipped over the edge."

When he was found, he was taken first to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham, where he drew intricate pictures of pianos for staff and performed parts of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" and the music of John Lennon on the chapel piano.

Because he won't speak, he is not receiving counseling, but he is allowed to use a piano provided by a tabloid newspaper.

So the mystery remains. Who is the Piano man?
Old 05-19-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oops I missed this thread just got mine locked for repeating...

I find It hilarious that officials are taking tips from Polish mimes

Everyone feels sympathy for a starving artist I wonder in he’s good. I’m sure they will show him playing the piano any day now...
Old 05-19-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Are you sure he's not a Downeaster, Alexa?
Old 05-19-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by weargle
Are you sure he's not a Downeaster, Alexa?
You may be right.
Old 05-19-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
You may be right.

You're in a New York state of mind.