Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh great! I won 2 free Snapples! Uh... actually not so great

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-18-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I twist the cap off a bottle of Snapple unsweetened iced tea and inside the cap I see that I'm a winner of two free 16oz Snapples.
The cap indicates that I can go to Snapple.com for details on how to redeem my "prize". I figure I'll get a printable coupon, but no.
Turns out the official rules say that I am supposed to put the cap in a padded envelope along with a 3x5 card with my name and address, and mail it in to them (registered mail is suggested).

Considering that these things are currently 50 cents each at my local grocery, uh I don't think so.

Bunch a douche bags.
Old 05-18-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So can you not just take it to a gas station or grocery store and redeem your free Snapples there? That's the way it works with every other free drink promotion.
Old 05-18-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LAME!
Old 05-18-05, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Stupid
Old 05-18-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you have the number of a good therapist.
Old 05-18-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My suggestion, flatten the cap with a hammer and mail it in a standard envelope along with the 3x5 card. That way you are out only the $0.37 postage stamp. Screw the padded envelope, and screw the registered mail.
Old 05-18-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that's a sweet marketing gimmick.

It's like those grand prize scams where it costs you $39.95 to claim (shipping and handling costs).
Old 05-18-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
So can you not just take it to a gas station or grocery store and redeem your free Snapples there? That's the way it works with every other free drink promotion.
I don't know, that's what I woulda thought. But this from their site:

From on or about May 1, 2005 to November 30, 2005 (or while supplies last), Messages in this Instant Win Game can be found under specially marked caps of 16 ounce glass bottles and 32 ounce plastic bottles of Snapple and diet Snapple. Message under caps will state either “You’ve Won A Favor!” (16oz), “Winner!” (32oz) or “Sorry Not A Winner” (16oz / 32oz). If the cap states “You’ve Won A Favor” or “Winner!” it will direct you to www.snapple.com or to call 1-800-306-9273 for instructions on how to verify and claim your prize.

PRIZE CLAIM. To verify and claim a prize, hand print on a 3” X 5” card your complete name, address, city, state/country, zip or postal code (if applicable), telephone number (including area code), email address (optional) and date of birth and send card in padded envelope with original bottle cap or game card to: Snapple “Win Yourself A Favor” Prize Claim, P.O. Box 49392, Strongsville, OH, 44149-0392. Prize claims must be received by December 31, 2005. Prize claimants should make and retain a photocopy of the bottle cap or game card as proof of mailing does not constitute proof of delivery/receipt; and it is suggested that claims be sent by a traceable and secure method of delivery such as registered mail, return receipt requested. Proof of delivery is not proof of bottle cap or game card validity. Allow 6 to 8 weeks for verification of prize claim. All prize claims are subject to verification of eligibility, winning bottle cap or game card and compliance with the terms of these rules.

I could try to bring the cap to a store and see what they say. I suppose some confused cashier might just give them to me, but on the other hand there is no way to scan it so some independent thought would have to take place.

Last edited by Phil L.; 05-18-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-18-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
I don't know, that's what I woulda thought. But this from their site:

From on or about May 1, 2005 to November 30, 2005 (or while supplies last), Messages in this Instant Win Game can be found under specially marked caps of 16 ounce glass bottles and 32 ounce plastic bottles of Snapple and diet Snapple. Message under caps will state either “You’ve Won A Favor!” (16oz), “Winner!” (32oz) or “Sorry Not A Winner” (16oz / 32oz). If the cap states “You’ve Won A Favor” or “Winner!” it will direct you to www.snapple.com or to call 1-800-306-9273 for instructions on how to verify and claim your prize.

I could try to bring the cap to a store and see what they say. I suppose some confused cashier might just give them to me, but on the other hand there is no way to scan it so some independent thought would have to take place.

If that doesn't work you could always sign the CEO up for a free subscription to Out Magazine.

Actually if you send them an email telling them what a bad taste this prize left in your mouth you will probably get a few coupons for a free pint.
Old 05-18-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cliffzig
My suggestion, flatten the cap with a hammer and mail it in a standard envelope along with the 3x5 card. That way you are out only the $0.37 postage stamp. Screw the padded envelope, and screw the registered mail.
I wouldn't even bother flattening it. It still weighs the same. Regular envelope, 37 cent stamp.
Old 05-18-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wouldn't even bother flattening it. It still weighs the same. Regular envelope, 37 cent stamp.
No no no! The hammering was to let them know what you think of their little scheme! Take your agression out on the prize cap!
Old 05-18-05, 03:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

it is suggested that claims be sent by a traceable and secure method of delivery such as registered mail, return receipt requested.
I'd imagine this is aimed more at the people who have won the valuable prizes, like the car or vacation.
Old 05-18-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry Phil L. Even when you're a winner you're still a loser.

:buford:
Old 05-19-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

and someone was talking on a Nextel phone when you got it? Does that make you a two-time loser?

:buford:
Old 05-19-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I twist the cap off a bottle of Snapple unsweetened iced tea and inside the cap I see that I'm a winner of two free 16oz Snapples.
The cap indicates that I can go to Snapple.com for details on how to redeem my "prize". I figure I'll get a printable coupon, but no.
Turns out the official rules say that I am supposed to put the cap in a padded envelope along with a 3x5 card with my name and address, and mail it in to them (registered mail is suggested).

Considering that these things are currently 50 cents each at my local grocery, uh I don't think so.

Bunch a douche bags.

So I take it that you're not sending them in? WHy don't you mail them to me, and I'll redeem them 8-)