Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How much do Land Scapers make?

Old 05-18-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am going to be doing some work for a friend of a friend soon. I will be clearning out brush, ripping pricklers, digging holes, planting trees, and that kinda thing.

She has a backyard that is overgrown and needs it cleaned up and cleared out.

She wants to know how much I should charge her. How much do people usually get for this kind of thing? Do they get paid by the hour or by the project?
Old 05-18-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the size of the yard, how much work is involved, how much skill is needed, etc. My friend just had a guy redo her backyard in preparation for selling her house. The yard was about 50' x 30', new sod had to be laid down in most of it, bushes needed to be pulled out, other bushes needed to be pruned, trees needed to be pruned, tanbark was placed all around the bushes, flowers were planted in the front yard, and two rooms were painted. Supplies were included in the price, two guys did the work in one day, $1500 was the total cost. She offered to buy them lunch but they opted to buy their own lunch. This was in northern California, the bay area.

If it were me, I'd probably figure out what I wanted for doing the work, and wouldn't worry about what others charge. Doing heavy manual labor all day in the sun is exhausting, and I'd charge accordingly.
Old 05-18-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For landscaping companies around here, you get paid $10-15/hr. If you're doing it for yourself you probably want to up that to $15-20/hr or more, especially if it's a lot of hard labor.

Edit: Hah, just saw you were in Wilmington. OK so these rates DIRECTLY apply to you.
Old 05-18-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess
Depends on the size of the yard, how much work is involved, how much skill is needed, etc. My friend just had a guy redo her backyard in preparation for selling her house. The yard was about 50' x 30', new sod had to be laid down in most of it, bushes needed to be pulled out, other bushes needed to be pruned, trees needed to be pruned, tanbark was placed all around the bushes, flowers were planted in the front yard, and two rooms were painted. Supplies were included in the price, two guys did the work in one day, $1500 was the total cost. She offered to buy them lunch but they opted to buy their own lunch. This was in northern California, the bay area.
Hey, i am in N bay area as well.. any chance you can talk to your sister and get a phone number for those guys. I need some work done at my place and it sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-18-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
For landscaping companies around here, you get paid $10-15/hr. If you're doing it for yourself you probably want to up that to $15-20/hr or more, especially if it's a lot of hard labor.

Edit: Hah, just saw you were in Wilmington. OK so these rates DIRECTLY apply to you.

'HA' indeed! We really do live in a small state

You don't think $15-$20 is asking too much?

I started working at this company a few months ago. And the woman who want's this work done is the owner's wife.

I work here 9 - 5, and will go there 2 to 3 times a week after work for 3 or 4 hours each time.

Not sure if because it's the boss' wife I should charge more (because I am going out of my way, AND they would get me a lot cheaper then a land scaping co.) ... or less (because I should be doing it as a "favor"?)...
Old 05-18-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My answer would have to be 4...
Old 05-18-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

First we need to know your nationality. That seems to play a big role in this.
Old 05-18-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Oraphus
Hey, i am in N bay area as well.. any chance you can talk to your sister and get a phone number for those guys. I need some work done at my place and it sounds like a good deal.
It's my co-worker (hopefully I remembered all of the details correctly ) - she's coming back to the office soon so I'll ask her then and let you know. IIRC her realtor set it up, so she might have to dig a bit to get you the info.
Old 05-18-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess
It's my co-worker (hopefully I remembered all of the details correctly ) - she's coming back to the office soon so I'll ask her then and let you know. IIRC her realtor set it up, so she might have to dig a bit to get you the info.
that's fine.. i'd appreciate any info you could get.
Old 05-18-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Oraphus

Someone help! My thread got jacked!!!

Old 05-19-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any last posts for me?
Old 05-19-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, have a good time landscaping! Oh, drink plenty of water.
Old 05-19-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd say $15 an hour is accurate then. Where do these people live? Greenville? Charge 'em $20/hour.

Note that above two guys worked for a day and got $1500. That works out to at least $75/hr.
Old 05-19-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say $15 an hour is accurate then. Where do these people live? Greenville? Charge 'em $20/hour.

Note that above two guys worked for a day and got $1500. That works out to at least $75/hr.

But he said that included supplies. It included sod, trees, etc. Those things get expensive.

I'm currently waiting for a landscaper to swing by my house and do some dirt work for me in between his other jobs. I'm not sure what he's charging. I don't care, I just want it done soon. Stupid weather hasn't been cooperating. Snow again last week (but 80s this week).

My job is only a single days work for him (if that), and wouldn't be upset if it cost me up to $500, because he was recommended by 2 other landscaping companies and is supposed to do a great job. He'll be leveling, smoothing, picking rocks, and possibly adding some topsoil, in preparation for sod laying (which I'll be doing).
Old 05-19-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it was Greenville they'd be getting charged at least $30 an hour

I gotta figure in I am an ameature too, so I am going to tell her $15/hour to start. If she likes what I do, and likes me working there, then after a 3 day trial period it goes up to $18/hour.

She is the bosse's wife so I will handle it delicatley.

What part of DE are you from Bus?
Old 05-19-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
First we need to know your nationality. That seems to play a big role in this.
^^

My BIL owns a landscaping company and he pays his guys about $15 an hour.
Old 05-19-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex
I gotta figure in I am an ameature too, so I am going to tell her $15/hour to start. If she likes what I do, and likes me working there...
Old 05-19-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ ^

Old 05-19-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I live in Newark, although I lived in Pike Creek before. I'm originally from S. America tho.
Old 05-19-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I live in Newark, although I lived in Pike Creek before. I'm originally from S. America tho.

Sweet! It's nice to know that there are other people in our state out there

And obviously you know how to respond to someone when they say "Delaware? What state is that in?"

Old 05-21-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I told her we would do a 3 day trial. $15/hour to start.

I'll do 2 more days next week and if she thinks I am worth while, and I want to continue we'll renogotiate at that time.

Excellent

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 05-21-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like to get paid what they guy on Desperate Housewives gets......

I can appreciate me some Eva Longoria.

-pedagogue

ps. Mods...if the pic is too risque, please feel free to link it.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 05-21-05 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-21-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She makes my hose spurt.