Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How much do Land Scapers make?

Old 05-18-05, 12:37 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
How much do Land Scapers make?

I am going to be doing some work for a friend of a friend soon. I will be clearning out brush, ripping pricklers, digging holes, planting trees, and that kinda thing.

She has a backyard that is overgrown and needs it cleaned up and cleared out.


She wants to know how much I should charge her. How much do people usually get for this kind of thing? Do they get paid by the hour or by the project?
Sominex is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 12:51 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,849
Depends on the size of the yard, how much work is involved, how much skill is needed, etc. My friend just had a guy redo her backyard in preparation for selling her house. The yard was about 50' x 30', new sod had to be laid down in most of it, bushes needed to be pulled out, other bushes needed to be pruned, trees needed to be pruned, tanbark was placed all around the bushes, flowers were planted in the front yard, and two rooms were painted. Supplies were included in the price, two guys did the work in one day, $1500 was the total cost. She offered to buy them lunch but they opted to buy their own lunch. This was in northern California, the bay area.

If it were me, I'd probably figure out what I wanted for doing the work, and wouldn't worry about what others charge. Doing heavy manual labor all day in the sun is exhausting, and I'd charge accordingly.
WarriorPrincess is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:00 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
For landscaping companies around here, you get paid $10-15/hr. If you're doing it for yourself you probably want to up that to $15-20/hr or more, especially if it's a lot of hard labor.

Edit: Hah, just saw you were in Wilmington. OK so these rates DIRECTLY apply to you.
The Bus is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:07 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Hell - see you when you get here.
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess
Depends on the size of the yard, how much work is involved, how much skill is needed, etc. My friend just had a guy redo her backyard in preparation for selling her house. The yard was about 50' x 30', new sod had to be laid down in most of it, bushes needed to be pulled out, other bushes needed to be pruned, trees needed to be pruned, tanbark was placed all around the bushes, flowers were planted in the front yard, and two rooms were painted. Supplies were included in the price, two guys did the work in one day, $1500 was the total cost. She offered to buy them lunch but they opted to buy their own lunch. This was in northern California, the bay area.
Hey, i am in N bay area as well.. any chance you can talk to your sister and get a phone number for those guys. I need some work done at my place and it sounds like a good deal.
Oraphus is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:08 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by The Bus
For landscaping companies around here, you get paid $10-15/hr. If you're doing it for yourself you probably want to up that to $15-20/hr or more, especially if it's a lot of hard labor.

Edit: Hah, just saw you were in Wilmington. OK so these rates DIRECTLY apply to you.

'HA' indeed! We really do live in a small state

You don't think $15-$20 is asking too much?

I started working at this company a few months ago. And the woman who want's this work done is the owner's wife.

I work here 9 - 5, and will go there 2 to 3 times a week after work for 3 or 4 hours each time.

Not sure if because it's the boss' wife I should charge more (because I am going out of my way, AND they would get me a lot cheaper then a land scaping co.) ... or less (because I should be doing it as a "favor"?)...
Sominex is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:09 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 3,514
How much do Land Scapers make?

My answer would have to be 4...
gilbertr76 is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:10 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
First we need to know your nationality. That seems to play a big role in this.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:33 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,849
Originally Posted by Oraphus
Hey, i am in N bay area as well.. any chance you can talk to your sister and get a phone number for those guys. I need some work done at my place and it sounds like a good deal.
It's my co-worker (hopefully I remembered all of the details correctly ) - she's coming back to the office soon so I'll ask her then and let you know. IIRC her realtor set it up, so she might have to dig a bit to get you the info.
WarriorPrincess is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 01:40 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Hell - see you when you get here.
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess
It's my co-worker (hopefully I remembered all of the details correctly ) - she's coming back to the office soon so I'll ask her then and let you know. IIRC her realtor set it up, so she might have to dig a bit to get you the info.
that's fine.. i'd appreciate any info you could get.
Oraphus is offline  
Old 05-18-05, 02:04 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by Oraphus
Hey, i am in N bay area as well.. any chance you can talk to your sister and get a phone number for those guys. I need some work done at my place and it sounds like a good deal.

Someone help! My thread got jacked!!!


Sominex is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 07:19 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
Any last posts for me?
Sominex is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 09:25 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,267
Yeah, have a good time landscaping! Oh, drink plenty of water.
cliffzig is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 10:01 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
I'd say $15 an hour is accurate then. Where do these people live? Greenville? Charge 'em $20/hour.

Note that above two guys worked for a day and got $1500. That works out to at least $75/hr.
The Bus is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 10:54 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,386
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd say $15 an hour is accurate then. Where do these people live? Greenville? Charge 'em $20/hour.

Note that above two guys worked for a day and got $1500. That works out to at least $75/hr.

But he said that included supplies. It included sod, trees, etc. Those things get expensive.

I'm currently waiting for a landscaper to swing by my house and do some dirt work for me in between his other jobs. I'm not sure what he's charging. I don't care, I just want it done soon. Stupid weather hasn't been cooperating. Snow again last week (but 80s this week).

My job is only a single days work for him (if that), and wouldn't be upset if it cost me up to $500, because he was recommended by 2 other landscaping companies and is supposed to do a great job. He'll be leveling, smoothing, picking rocks, and possibly adding some topsoil, in preparation for sod laying (which I'll be doing).
griz is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 01:16 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd say $15 an hour is accurate then. Where do these people live? Greenville? Charge 'em $20/hour.

Note that above two guys worked for a day and got $1500. That works out to at least $75/hr.

If it was Greenville they'd be getting charged at least $30 an hour


I gotta figure in I am an ameature too, so I am going to tell her $15/hour to start. If she likes what I do, and likes me working there, then after a 3 day trial period it goes up to $18/hour.

She is the bosse's wife so I will handle it delicatley.

What part of DE are you from Bus?
Sominex is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 01:25 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by kvrdave
First we need to know your nationality. That seems to play a big role in this.
^^

My BIL owns a landscaping company and he pays his guys about $15 an hour.
melbatoast is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 01:27 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by Sominex
I gotta figure in I am an ameature too, so I am going to tell her $15/hour to start. If she likes what I do, and likes me working there...
melbatoast is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 01:53 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
^ ^



Sominex is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 02:49 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
I live in Newark, although I lived in Pike Creek before. I'm originally from S. America tho.
The Bus is offline  
Old 05-19-05, 02:58 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
Originally Posted by The Bus
I live in Newark, although I lived in Pike Creek before. I'm originally from S. America tho.

Sweet! It's nice to know that there are other people in our state out there


And obviously you know how to respond to someone when they say "Delaware? What state is that in?"

Sominex is offline  
Old 05-21-05, 01:22 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 2,651
I told her we would do a 3 day trial. $15/hour to start.


I'll do 2 more days next week and if she thinks I am worth while, and I want to continue we'll renogotiate at that time.


Excellent

Thanks for the advice guys
Sominex is offline  
Old 05-21-05, 01:32 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
I'd like to get paid what they guy on Desperate Housewives gets......



I can appreciate me some Eva Longoria.

-pedagogue

ps. Mods...if the pic is too risque, please feel free to link it.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 05-21-05 at 01:40 PM.
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 05-21-05, 03:54 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856
She makes my hose spurt.
Buford T Pusser is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.