Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

These year book photos = not a good idea..

Old 05-18-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

These year book photos = not a good idea..

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...book_0518.html

--

BOYNTON BEACH For a mother who remembered the senior superlatives in her own high school yearbook hewing to "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Best Smile," the picture came as a surprise to Jacqueline Nobles.

In Boynton Beach High's 2005 yearbook, her son, Robert Richards, is shown with a leash around his neck.

Students voting on superlatives a staple of yearbooks for decades elected Richards as "Most Whipped" by his girlfriend, using the slang term for a person who is controlled by another in a relationship. The accompanying photo shows Richards, who is black, on a leash held by Melissa Finley, who is white.

Nobles wants the books recalled.

"I know it's supposed to be in fun, but there are people still having trouble with African-Americans' past and this will be offensive," said Nobles, who said the picture reminded her of the poster for the 1970s miniseries Roots, which featured a manacled slave. "This picture, to me, is very distasteful."

Another photo, of the winners of the "Most Likely To Be On Jerry Springer" category, features a male student pretending to be on the verge of hitting a female with the back of his hand.

The pictures are inappropriate, school district spokesman Nat Harrington said. The professional standards committee will investigate the situation, Harrington said, and there could be "serious disciplinary consequences" for yearbook adviser Jordan Barenburg and "anyone else who should have brought it to the forefront for review before it was published."

Harrington said the review likely will include Principal William Latson.

"We expect the adviser to apply good judgment, good common sense, ethical standards, moral standards and standards that reflect the level of respect and dignity we expect in our schools," Harrington said.

About 240 copies of the yearbook made it into students' hands before Nobles called the school Tuesday to complain to Latson. The principal is holding an additional 460.

Neither Barenburg nor Latson returned calls for comment.

Perhaps least upset by the photo is Richards, 19, who is bound for Florida Atlantic University after graduation next week. In fact, he came up with the idea.

Richards said he and Finley thought it would set them apart from the other superlative students striking traditional poses. They have broken up since the photo was taken, he said, but remain close friends and have the same opinion of the photo.

"We don't see a problem with it," Richards said before referencing the Roots character that haunted his mother when she saw the photo. "Kunta Kinte that was over 300 years ago."

He also believes his mother and those who might share her anxiety think differently about racism and slavery because of their age. He and his peers aren't as conscious of race, he said.

"If there was a black girl doing this in the picture, it wouldn't be an issue," Richards said.

A number of black students were standing around when the photo was taken and nobody protested, he said. "These are people who if they had a problem would have let us know," he said.

Yearbooks have evolved from their early days as catalogs of smiling students in tuxedos and gowns and cheerleaders in knee-length skirts shouting into megaphones.

In recent years, yearbook editors at some Palm Beach County schools have had to edit slang and obscenities from senior quotes, ban senior superlatives and study photos closely for indications of drug or alcohol use. At least one yearbook company offers principals the option of using stickers to cover offending photos. The page tears when someone tries to remove the sticker.

Along with such traditional or uplifting categories as "Best All Around" or "Next Bill Gates," Boynton Beach High's superlatives also featured students under the headings "Biggest Slacker" and "Worst Case of Senioritis."

The district will explore the feasibility of recalling the first batch of yearbooks and having them reprinted without the leash photo, as Nobles is requesting, Harrington said.

"I don't want this to be the memory any student has of my son," Nobles said. "Just like these books went into circulation, they can come back out."
Old 05-18-05, 10:10 AM

And now they're all over the Internet. Awesome.
Old 05-18-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
And now they're all over the Internet. Awesome.

Hey, things can get into circulation on the internet, and they can get back out.
Old 05-18-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If only this political correctness had been around at my highschool. Then i might not have to live with the "mostly likely to be stacked naked in a male pyramid" tag.
Old 05-18-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well the guy agreed to it. I'm in a picture for most attractive female, kneeling on the ground, fawning with my hands outstretched.

I understand the choice of words is unfortunate, but please, f'ing live with it. The guy agreed to do it.

Also in my yearbook (or one of them), is someone's poem called "Last Act of Defiance" --- a really neat poem. I went to a high school with the initials of DHS. When you read the first letter on each line of the poem...

F...
U...
C...
K...
Y...
O...
U...
D...
H...
S...

Old 05-18-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's ironic that the students -- of both races -- see this as harmless fun, while the parents are flipping out over it.

At some point, you have to leave the past behind you and just get on with the future, which is what these kids were doing. It's only when these symbols or racism become meaningless that we've moved beyond them. Otherwise you're just reopening old wounds.

And also, I'm kind of surprised they let "whipped" slip in there. Didn't any of the adults who were supervising the kids know that "whipped" is short for pussywhipped?
Old 05-18-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Article

Perhaps least upset by the photo is Richards, 19, who is bound for Florida Atlantic University after graduation next week. In fact, he came up with the idea.

He also believes his mother and those who might share her anxiety think differently about racism and slavery because of their age. He and his peers aren't as conscious of race, he said.
That's actually pretty cool to read. I wonder how many people look at that photo and don't immediately think of slavery. I also wonder if the parents recognize this for the progress that it is.

As for my "superlative", I was voted "Best Ass", and it was not a comment on my stunning physique.

das
Old 05-18-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's actually pretty cool to read. I wonder how many people look at that photo and don't immediately think of slavery. I also wonder if the parents recognize this for the progress that it is.
i didn't think of slavery till i skimmed the article
Old 05-18-05, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
As for my "superlative", I was voted "Best Ass", and it was not a comment on my stunning physique.
I had no idea you went to an agricultural high school too! My girlfriend won the "Biggest Tomatoes" award our senior year.
Old 05-18-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I had no idea you went to an agricultural high school too! My girlfriend won the "Biggest Tomatoes" award our senior year.
A good match for your "Tiniest Baby Carrot" award.
Old 05-18-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And also, I'm kind of surprised they let "whipped" slip in there. Didn't any of the adults who were supervising the kids know that "whipped" is short for pussywhipped?
Of course they knew, that's the whole point of the "award".
Old 05-18-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenny79
A good match for your "Tiniest Baby Carrot" award.

Old 05-18-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Venusian
i didn't think of slavery till i skimmed the article
I even read a few posts and was wondering why the hell they were bringing up race. I saw a guy that was pussywhipped in the photo. Good to see each generation growing away from this, but there are always the adults that have a problem.
Old 05-18-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With that first pic, it's a good thing he wasn't voted "Best Hung".
Old 05-18-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

So we can't get past racial issues because old people continue to bring up how things could be taken out of context rather than letting a younger generation move on. Good plan.
Old 05-18-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's just how slang is... it gets generalized and morphs over time... Saying someone is "whipped" seems to be losing its vulgarity... Same way that saying someone (or something) "sucks" has lost much of its vulgarity and homophobia...
Old 05-18-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Adults not understanding slang? Has this ever happened before?!
Old 05-18-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like a yearbook advisor will soon be out of a job thanks to a parent who feels the need to be offended for her teenager.
Old 05-18-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by adamblast
That's just how slang is... it gets generalized and morphs over time... Saying someone is "whipped" seems to be losing its vulgarity... Same way that saying someone (or something) "sucks" has lost much of its vulgarity and homophobia...
That was a homosexual slang thing? That blows.
Old 05-18-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I didn't think of race when I first saw that photo. I think the photo offends males in general moreso than African-Americans.
Old 05-18-05, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Jesus Christ more pus.sy aching, uptight parents at home that don't have a fucking clue on whats going on in this world. They are harmless pictures who cares. Its not like they are putting in stuff like "best snatch" and "longest pecker" (which I wouldn't win either) I mean come on.... I bet the mother of that daughter doesn't know her daughter probably banged the whole senior class. To all the parents out there like this, get a fuckin' clue.

So we can't get past racial issues because old people continue to bring up how things could be taken out of context rather than letting a younger generation move on. Good plan.
^Truth
Old 05-18-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Well the guy agreed to it. I'm in a picture for most attractive female, kneeling on the ground, fawning with my hands outstretched.

I understand the choice of words is unfortunate, but please, f'ing live with it. The guy agreed to do it.

Also in my yearbook (or one of them), is someone's poem called "Last Act of Defiance" --- a really neat poem. I went to a high school with the initials of DHS. When you read the first letter on each line of the poem...

F...
U...
C...
K...
Y...
O...
U...
D...
H...
S...

Haha, that's even better than what the editor of my high school yearbook did. For one page she had the title Such Highly Innovative Teachers among other "subversive" things (the letters weren't actually in bold or published to make it stand out in any way). The only reason I think anyone ever found out about it was because she ran her mouth off about what she did. The school actually suspended her and seriously considered not allowing her to graduate, but in the end she was just banned from our graduation ceremony. They definitely overreacted, but it was a K-12 school, so perhaps they felt that young-uns were being tainted by the yearbook since every student got one. Ah, good times.
Old 05-18-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by animalmystic
Its not like they are putting in stuff like "best snatch" and "longest pecker" (which I wouldn't win either)
Have a small penis and couldn't get the best "snatch" in high school? This is not a newsflash. Kinda like the chicken and the egg.

Old 05-18-05, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Have a small penis and couldn't get the best "snatch" in high school? This is not a newsflash. Kinda like the chicken and the egg.

Old 05-18-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That was a homosexual slang thing? That blows.
It both sucks and blows!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.